Advice - Returning a DISH-owned Receiver

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
After DISH deactivated a receiver for me over the weekend, I must return it to them. I will be receiving my UPS boxes for return shipment today, for which I will be billed $15 -- IF I use their UPS labels. The CSR who deactivated the receiver also suggested using the postal service's "flat rate" box -- this box is about the size of the receiver that ships for slightly less than $5 regardless of weight.
Tracking and insurance would be extra; I'm certain ALL UPS shipments can be tracked online and I think they automatically insure shipments. I do very little package shipping, but I'm sure that many of you can quote rates, delivery times, etc from UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. I want to avoid the horror stories I sometimes read on these forums about DISH claiming to have not received customers' deactivated equipment. UPS will be most convenient because UPS will pick-up from my employer. The postal service looks a little cheaper, but that will cost me time and money(gasoline) driving to the post office. Bottom line -- I want to ship this as economically yet as reliably as I can plus have some kind of proof that DISH has gotten the receiver.

Thanks,
Eric

After DISH deactivated a receiver for me over the weekend, I must return it to them. I will be receiving my UPS boxes for return shipment today, for which I will be billed $15 -- IF I use their UPS labels. The CSR who deactivated the receiver also suggested using the postal service's "flat rate" box -- this box is about the size of the receiver that ships for slightly less than $5 regardless of weight.
Tracking and insurance would be extra; I'm certain ALL UPS shipments can be tracked online and I think they automatically insure shipments. I do very little package shipping, but I'm sure that many of you can quote rates, delivery times, etc from UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. I want to avoid the horror stories I sometimes read on these forums about DISH claiming to have not received customers' deactivated equipment. UPS will be most convenient because UPS will pick-up from my employer. The postal service looks a little cheaper, but that will cost me time and money(gasoline) driving to the post office. Bottom line -- I want to ship this as economically yet as reliably as I can plus have some kind of proof that DISH has gotten the receiver.

Thanks,
Eric

Use the UPS service then, and they will most likely pick it up for you, or you can just drop it off at one of their drop off centers.

You won't or won't save enough with USPS to not use the prepaid shipping label from UPS.

I'm not sure your receiver will even fit in a one rate box, but adding insurance and delivery confirmation will probably exceed the $15.

All UPS shipments are trackable online, right? I'm guessing there will be tracking number I can write down from the labels/box I should receive today?

If you have UPS pick up your item then they will charge you I believe it is $5 per package. Some drop off locations charge $2 per package.

Thanks,
Eric
Use their label. A flat rate of $15.00 to send back the receiver sounds like a good deal. If you want to be sure that you are not over charged take the box to a UPS store or shipper and have them weight and quote you shipping with insurance for replacement value of the receiver. UPS normally includes the first $100.00 of insurance as part of the basic shipping cost, not sure what type of a deal Dish may have with them when using prepaid labels but I am of the opinion that using their label will avoid any liability on your part for loss of the unit during shipping (of course I may be wrong on that). You can absolutely track the package on line (UPS.com), you will need that begins with a z that is on the label.

Ross.

UPS stores UPCHARGE normal UPS rates by about 1/3rd.

Worse I once had a upsstore pack a expensive piece of equiptement.....

It got damaged in transit:(

UPS b;amed the store, the store blamed UPS.

Neither would dp a thing for me:(

the ups brown were ups store commercials were a lie.

Are the UPS labels Dish sends out "pre paids"? One of the vendors I work with use UPS Pre-paids to send back wrong orders. I package the order back up, put the label on the box, go to Staples and just drop it off. I've never had any extra charge for using a pre paid label.

I've never had any extra charge for using a pre paid label.

Me either. In fact the drop off center was thrilled to get the drop off. They must get some type of commission on it.

If the drop off center wants to charge you; take it to the local ups distribution center (usually near the airport). They will not charge you a cent.

However, even if UPS wanted to charge you $2-5 to pick it up it is worth it; as compared to driving 20-25 miles to a drop off distribution center with the price of gas at $3.00 a gallon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)