Advice Signing Up

fauxfive55

Original poster
May 27, 2010
California
Howdy folks...

I just moved and at my new residence, unfortunately, I can't receive OTA HD as I had at my previous residence. So basically, it's time to bite the bullet and sign up with a provider again. My options are cable, dish or u-verse. Dish is at the top of my list, but I'd like some advice before I sign up.

1. I'm only concerned with HD channels - is there a particular package/group I should select? (I remember Dish had HD only packages at one time).

2. Can you sign up for 1 year as opposed to 2? I'm not a fan of long term contracts - is it worth signing up without a contract at all? Taking into account the prorated cancellation fees..etc.

3. I'm looking at the VIP 922, but I have two HD tv sets. Would it be possible to sling HD recordings/live TV to the second set therefore avoiding an additional lease/dvr fee? Coming from two TIVOs, if I had to get two HD receivers, including a 922, what should I get for the second?

4. How does DISHs picture quality compare to local OTA broadcasts? cable?

5. Are there any unpublicized promotional rates/packages out there? Or sign up referral bonuses?

6. Almost forgot, if I decide to add a third television set while under contract and need a new install/receiver, does it reset my contract date?

I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer, as I'd like to be well informed before talking to a customer service rep...

Thanks in advance!

Howdy folks...

I just moved and at my new residence, unfortunately, I can't receive OTA HD as I had at my previous residence. So basically, it's time to bite the bullet and sign up with a provider again. My options are cable, dish or u-verse. Dish is at the top of my list, but I'd like some advice before I sign up.

1. I'm only concerned with HD channels - is there a particular package/group I should select? (I remember Dish had HD only packages at one time).

2. Can you sign up for 1 year as opposed to 2? I'm not a fan of long term contracts - is it worth signing up without a contract at all? Taking into account the prorated cancellation fees..etc.

3. I'm looking at the VIP 922, but I have two HD tv sets. Would it be possible to sling HD recordings/live TV to the second set therefore avoiding an additional lease/dvr fee? Coming from two TIVOs, if I had to get two HD receivers, including a 922, what should I get for the second?

4. How does DISHs picture quality compare to local OTA broadcasts? cable?

5. Are there any unpublicized promotional rates/packages out there? Or sign up referral bonuses?

6. Almost forgot, if I decide to add a third television set while under contract and need a new install/receiver, does it reset my contract date?

I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer, as I'd like to be well informed before talking to a customer service rep...

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same boat you are - I'm surrounded by tall buildings where we just don't get anything at all OTA.

1. Depends on which HD channels you want. Dish still has HD-only packages, called Dish America/ Am. Silver/ Am. Gold - they're not heavily advertised, so you have to specifically ask for them when you order. Be aware, though, although these HD-only packages are cheaper, while Dish has added a lot of new HD channels to the SD+HD packages (America's Top 120/120+/250/AEP), the HD-only packages have not received the new channels in many cases over the past year. All packages include locals/HD locals, if you have the HD-only, or if you add HD to the 120, etc. packages. There's also a Platinum HD add-on for $10 that includes special interest/niche HD only channels - thru June 2, there's a promo where you can add Platinum & HD for $10, which most here would recommend, I think - starting June 3, HD will be included free only with auto-pay and a 2 year commitment, otherwise it's a $99 one-time fee or an additional $10/mo, I believe. Dish is saying if you're already on the Platinum+HD for $10, you are automatically grandfathered in to the HD free for life without the auto-pay/commitment needed, or the $99, and you can drop the platinum channel block if you don't want it after June 3. Look on the website for the channels you want, and go for that package, or go for the package that suits your budget.

2. No, if you lease, it's a 2 year commitment now with both Dish and DirecTV, generally with the option to upgrade a box or two once each year at the reduced price. I'd try to get everything I wanted at the outset, for the best deal. After you're set up, it will be harder to get a good deal. There are arguments for buying and for leasing - I'll let others hash that out. You're stuck paying a monthly fee for the boxes regardless (for the second box or more) whether you buy or lease - I think there's more to be said for leasing even with the 2 year commitment, but that's me. In terms of what you get for your dollar when buying vs. leasing, it's still slanted towards Dish either way.

3. There will be, but not yet. There's a box on the TV Everywhere page of Dish's site called the HDTV Multi-Room Extender that's "coming soon". It's being reported here that soon possibly means June, but will have to wait and see. That extender will let you watch your 922 on another HDTV. No word on pricing yet. Otherwise, your options for a second DVR are a 722k or a 612, or for just a receiver, the 211k (which can also be upgraded with your own hard drive to be a DVR for a $40 enabling fee). Each of these boxes has a different monthly fee, but the 722k seems to be the one everyone around here likes if it's a DVR you want. Each of the boxes has their pros and cons - the 211 is cheaper monthly, but doesn't give you dual tuners. The 612 has dual tuners and is cheaper monthly than the 722k, but is reported to potentially be buggy/unreliable. The 722k is widely liked and does everything, but is more expensive monthly. If you think you are adding a third HDTV in the future, can always pick up the Extender when it comes out and then just move whichever other DVR/Receiver you get now.

4. PQ = not as good as OTA, better than cable, on average. Not always, your mileage may vary. It looks very good, though, to me.

5. There is a referral program, that gets you and whoever refers you a discount of $50 each. If you know someone with Dish, they can get you the promo, and it can be combined with new customer promos. As far as other promos - most here will tell you to talk to Claude at DishStore.net to get the best deals, and I think he has some other rebates or something. Not sure. He'll probably pop in here, or you can look at the banners on the site for the number. I believe this site also benefits from sign-ups there.

6. Yes, if you lease a new box, it extends your contract. They may tell you you're not eligible for another discount for the first months after getting set up though.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts