after 15 years, i really dont get much

I've been pretty satisfied with the last few years. I just did my annual "multisport for $6.50/m for a few months to watch Redzone" and it was automatic once I asked. It's a nice perk. My neighbors with Direct are dropping it because they say they can't get Redzone without ordering the entire Sunday Ticket. Of course Dish isn't an option for them because they are Sabres fans.

i really didnt mean to start this thread, i guess i needed to vent, its just when i walked into att to return my samsung note 7 before it blows up, they just offered me a deal that made me think. and in the end i am still here....
So, help me here. What has a Samsung iMelt phone have to with your time with Dish?

Reactions: Troch77
He is stating that when he was returning his phone to att they probably offered him a great deal on direct tv. And it made him think damn I am paying dish to much . And I wonder if I can get some kind of deal like that from dish .

The Directv service isn't really as great as it as it might be presented. We have Directv at my other house and have to pay $22 per month in equipment fees for a single TV with an old HR34.

Reactions: pattykay
So I was with Dish 15 years and the real deals came after the disconnect after I had Comcast installed before they shipped me the return boxes. Too late at that point. Problem is Comcast has more outages than Dish rain fade so now I need to decide between DTV or Dish. Dish has H3 with better upscaled PQ and Flex, and DTV has nice bundle with Uverese that locks Select package to $50 for 2 years.

Reactions: voodooevil
I have been with Dish since 1998 and I have never looked back. Thru all the testing, mishaps and equipment problems, I like to think both I and Dish have learned a lot
and I have contributed a lot of input, as well as gained a lot back from Dish. There are a lot of "freebies" and some you just cannot hold in your hand.
I can hardly wait for future ideas, to see what Dish comes up with next!

So, help me here. What has a Samsung iMelt phone have to with your time with Dish?
that is where direct/att offered me a package deal that was a lot less then what i am paying now with dish. it really has nothing to offer other then a filler for my story.

OK, I just heard back from Jessica and she informed me that to upgrade I would need to sign a new 2 year contract, no problem there, Pay a $150 upgrade charge, big problem there, Pay an additional $8 a month lease fee. There would also be a $95 technician fee which would be waived if I took the $8 a month protection plan. I've been with Dish for over 15 years (always auto paid) so it's not like I haven't been a loyal customer. It seems like better deals have been offered. Of the dozens of friends I've talked into going with Dish I always go over after the technicians half #$@%$ installation and show them what all they can really do with the Hopper. Granted that the Genie does not compare well with even my original Hopper but at some point you have to look at the bottom line.

OK, I just heard back from Jessica and she informed me that to upgrade I would need to sign a new 2 year contract, no problem there, Pay a $150 upgrade charge, big problem there, Pay an additional $8 a month lease fee. There would also be a $95 technician fee which would be waived if I took the $8 a month protection plan. I've been with Dish for over 15 years (always auto paid) so it's not like I haven't been a loyal customer. It seems like better deals have been offered. Of the dozens of friends I've talked into going with Dish I always go over after the technicians half #$@%$ installation and show them what all they can really do with the Hopper. Granted that the Genie does not compare well with even my original Hopper but at some point you have to look at the bottom line.
Additional $8 lease fee? Are you referring to the DVR fee? From a grandfathered $7 ViP DVR fee to the $15 Hopper DVR fee? That's all I can think of that would be $8 more.

Reactions: Troch77
Sounds like he is talking about the $8.00 insurance fee : warranty for installers and any problems with your Dish receivers, etc.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Sounds like he is talking about the $8.00 insurance fee : warranty for installers and any problems with your Dish receivers, etc.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app
Doubt it, since he talked about it as a separate item.

He meant that the protection plan was $8.00 and that the fees for the installer would be waived if added the protection plan. I got that, because there is no lease fees or $8.00 additional receiver fee or dvr fee.

Yes, I just missed the Protection plan at $8. It is not a higher lease payment. Update from Jessica includes a $25 discount on the upgrade price dropping it from $150 to $125. I appreciate the gesture but the whole situation does present a quandary. I think that the original Hopper offers great benefits over the current Genie even though the Genie is a terrific DVR, just a notch below the HOPPER. Three choices that most of us either have faced or will face. In my specific case, keep the Hopper with programming at $100 mo, move up to the Hopper 3 for $125 plus $8 mo for 3 months and incurring a new 2 year obligation, but gaining the extra tuners and a 2 TB hard drive, or jump to "D" and incurring a 2 year obligation, limited to a 1 TB hard drive , but reducing my monthly bill by about $30 mo with no installation charge and no $125 for equipment and a few freebies for 3 months. Assuming you are not unhappy with Dish, and not anti "D", what would you do?

Well that $30 ends up being $360 after one year and $720 after two years. That's assuming Dish doesn't raise it's prices during the next two years and we know what the odds are there. But you're right about the learning curve. The older you get the more that curve becomes tedious. Of course I'm retired so all I have is time, ha.