Aiming Dish - Clueless and need advice - Please help

ewestrom

Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
So, I break up with the gf and take my new Dish Network system with me. I call the person who installed it originally and he has moved. I called a local Dish co. 5-6 times and they don't call back. So, I try to setup the unit myself at my new house, and can't get it working.

I have a ViP622 and a Dish1000 dish. I set the elevation and skew per instructions and made sure the mounting arm for the dish was level on two sides.
I set the dish up and point it at 242 azimuth per instructions and nothing. I spend the next two hours moving it back and forth over a 45 degree angle, going up and down in elevation and still nothing. I have the receiver and an LCD tv on the roof with me for the meter built into the receiver and have not gotten the first beep or bar indicating I have run across a satellite signal. The switch test says the receiver is communicating with the LNB's properly....

What am I doing wrong? What can I buy, who can I pay to get this thing working??? Any installer in the Raleigh/Durham NC area want to make some $?

Please help with advice or contact me to come out and set this thing up for me.

Thanks,
Eric
eric@triauc.com

How far did you move? That may change one or more of your settings. Also, how clear is your line of sight? You might also want to run direct line from 119 to center the dish to the center sat, then only slight adjustments to get 110 and 129.

Moving it 45 degrees ?? That's at least 40 degrees too much in any direction.

Call Dish and sign up for their "home protection plan". That will get you "Dish Mover" service. Call the next day and tell 'em you've moved....

hall said:
Moving it 45 degrees ?? That's at least 40 degrees too much in any direction.

Call Dish and sign up for their "home protection plan". That will get you "Dish Mover" service. Call the next day and tell 'em you've moved....

I kinda figured that much of a sweep was very excessive. One of the things I couldn't figure out though, is what exactly am I pointing towards the 242 azimuth? It is easy to figure out before I introduce the skew into the dish. After the dish is skewed, things aren't quite so straight forward.

As an FYI, the zipcode is 27704 and I am using 242 azimuth, 30 elevation and 131 skew per the booklet that came with the Dish1000.

I have been reading a lot to try to figure this out and I think one of my problems may have been that I was trying to use transponder 1 on the 119 satellite. From what I have read, I guess this is a spot beam transponder and not easy to find. I am going to try later this evening using transponder 11 on 119.

garys said:
How far did you move? That may change one or more of your settings. Also, how clear is your line of sight? You might also want to run direct line from 119 to center the dish to the center sat, then only slight adjustments to get 110 and 129.

Moved just 3 streets over. Not sure how well that part will play out...

I believe the line of sight is fine, again kinda hard to tell with the skew of the dish because I can't exactly figure out what part I am pointing.

I will try with just a cable running from the DP Plus Twin to the reciever. The way I read it, this LNB is for both the 119 and the 110 satellites. Does it matter which output port I run to the receiver to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help! I really do appreciate it.

Ok, progress made. It appears that there is a line of sight issue. When I use the settings for a Dish 500 (which shifts the dish to the left as well as changes the other settings, zipcode 27704 if needed), I can lock onto 119 and 110. I get 105% on 119, transponder 19.

So, I guess I will need a second dish to get the HD channels??? Can I use the 129 lnb from the dish1000 and put it on a regular dish and aim that at ? 61.5???

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

dfergie said:
That would work...

Thank you, I will try that tomorrow. Any other advice anyone sees fit to offer will be appreciated. I will report back how things go.

Thank you for the help everyone.

3 Streets over, if you did not change any settings when moving it (and assuming it was installed plumb), putting it on a plumb pole or mounting the foot plumb should have done it - provided you did not have a line of sight issue.

When looking over the top center of the dish, are there trees slightly to the RIGHT of your view, that could possibly be stopping the reception of 129?

If so, then either try to move it over, or put another dish up for 61.5 (or 129).

You said you locked in on 119 and 110. If you disconnect the 129 LNBF, do you still have the 119 and 110 satellites? If so, good. If not, I would say that you are picking up 119 on the 129 LNBF and the 110 on the 119 LNBF, and therefore, you are not really pointed correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)