Aiming for IA5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

altadata

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Hi
I'm new to FTA. I'd like to receive IA5 ( 97W ) in Ottawa.
For this a have a Fortec star 36inch, a Fortec Universal LNBF and a Viewsat ultra.
While trying to aim for IA5, I go to Menu->Antenna Setup and select Intelsat5.
I also select a strong TP freq ( 12177V).
What I'm getting sometimes is a Q signal going up and down from 0% to 61%.
I'm not sure what this is and what satellite is coming from. What should I do?
IS this because my LNB is Universal and not standard?
( I have no switches in the system ).
Thanks.

PS: I'd like to have a 22k switch later on. I think I should have a standard lnbf for this, right?

You can use either an Universal LNBF or a Standard LNBF to receive programming from IA5.

For the LNBF that you currently have, set the LNBF type to Universal 9750/10600 in the Antena set-up select Menu.

You can use either an Universal LNBF or a Standard LNBF to receive programming from IA5.

For the LNBF that you currently have, set the LNBF type to Universal 9750/10600 in the Antena set-up select Menu.

I already set "Universal" in the Antenna setup page.
Why am I getting a Q=0%-50%-0%-50% ( jumping between 0 and 50% )?
Does it mean I'm actually poining to other satellite, not the one I'm aiming for?

Thanks.

I already set "Universal" in the Antenna setup page.
Why am I getting a Q=0%-50%-0%-50% ( jumping between 0 and 50% )?
Does it mean I'm actually poining to other satellite, not the one I'm aiming for?

Thanks.

Does your receiver have the capability to blind scan ? If so , scann it and compare the channels to those listed on IA 5 ( and near by sats ) to those listed at lyngsat.com .

Wyr

Does your receiver have the capability to blind scan ? If so , scann it and compare the channels to those listed on IA 5 ( and near by sats ) to those listed at lyngsat.com .

Wyr

Yes, it has blind scan.
But what satellite should I blind scan?

Anyway, after blind scanning a few satellites
I get 2 radio stations:

3ABN Radio
Radio 74

and 2 tv stations:
TV Latino
TV English

being added to my list.

But when I try to tune in to any of these, they don't work ( it gets stuck on "searching for signal" and Q is always 0% ).
What sat these belong to?

Standing in front of the dish facing the reflector with the lnbf directly in front of you, is the LNBF rotated approximately +20 degrees / counter clockwise? The lnbf centering mark (housing seam) should be turned to the left.

Yes, the lnbf is skewed counter clock wise about 20 deg.

After manually adding the TP freq in the viewsat, my signal is Q=50% all the time.
My viewsat was listing AMC as AMC4/C and all the default TP frequencies are very low ( 3000 range ).

I can tune in the 4 channels ( 3ABN Radio, Radio 74, 3ABN TV Latino, 3ABN TV English ).

My question: Is there something wrong with my setup or why am I getting only these 4 channels?
Can you check how many channels are you getting on AMC4 (101 W )?

Thanks.

You need to select AMC4/KU if you wish to view a TP list of the transponders available using your KU-Band LNBF and dish. Set the Satellite to AMC4/KU, set the LNBF type to Universal 9750/10600, Verify that TP frequency 11.822GHz is producing an adequate signal quality (60% or better on a Viewsat) and perform a Blind (Power) Scan. There will be many channels received!

50% is not that great of quality level for the Viewsat. Have you checked the dish for warping by laying it face down on a flat surface and verifying that the edges are laying perfectly flat?

You need to select AMC4/KU if you wish to view a TP list of the transponders available using your KU-Band LNBF and dish. Set the Satellite to AMC4/KU, set the LNBF type to Universal 9750/10600, Verify that TP frequency 11.822GHz is producing an adequate signal quality (60% or better on a Viewsat) and perform a Blind (Power) Scan. There will be many channels received!

50% is not that great of quality level for the Viewsat. Have you checked the dish for warping by laying it face down on a flat surface and verifying that the edges are laying perfectly flat?

There is no AMC4/KU in the viewsat ultra setup. There is only AMC4/C

alta

dont worry about AMC4...move the dish 4 degrees east which if you drew a line on the mast and moved off of that maybe 1/8" and blind scanned again you should be pretty close to IA5

Yes, the lnbf is skewed counter clock wise about 20 deg.

After manually adding the TP freq in the viewsat, my signal is Q=50% all the time.
My viewsat was listing AMC as AMC4/C and all the default TP frequencies are very low ( 3000 range ).

I can tune in the 4 channels ( 3ABN Radio, Radio 74, 3ABN TV Latino, 3ABN TV English ).

My question: Is there something wrong with my setup or why am I getting only these 4 channels?
Can you check how many channels are you getting on AMC4 (101 W )?

Thanks.

here is the list...scroll down to AMC4 (101W)
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

the 4 you posted are very strong signal so you can not be directly on AMC4 and still get them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)