Al Jazeera America

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JopMan

Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
According to Google, Al Jazeera America is slated to replace Current TV on or about August 20th. If Dish Network has commented on this upcoming channel change, sorry I missed it. Anyone know?

According to Google, Al Jazeera America is slated to replace Current TV on or about August 20th. If Dish Network has commented on this upcoming channel change, sorry I missed it. Anyone know?
Al Jazeera bought the company. I don't know that they are replacing Current or not.

Yeah, they are....

From Wiki:

2013: Acquisition by Al Jazeera

On January 2, 2013, Al Jazeera Media Network announced that it had purchased Current Media, LLC and would be closing down the Current TV channel while launching a new American news channel titled Al Jazeera America using its distribution network.

last statement was that Dish (and several other providers) were not going to carry the channel.

rightfully so.....

last statement was that Dish (and several other providers) were not going to carry the channel.

rightfully so.....

I have one question. Have you ever watched Al Jazeera? Many of us here have and it is a great news channel that shows you what is going on in the world without slant. Kinda like Dragnet, nothing but the facts.....

I don't know what they would show as a full time channel, but I'm a loyal American and occasionally watch the 30 minute news show on 9410 and don't see anything bad about it unless I'm being subliminally brainwashed.

How long until agreements to carry Current run out? Depending upon how the contracts were worded, they may be required to carry for a while.

There is currently another Al Jazeera America already running, but with the channel taking over Current TV it is relaunching.

I think the bad thing about the channel is the name as people hear it and think its the American Beheading channel. it's not in the least. In fact if you didn't know the channel you were watching you would think you were watching the BBC news as its really well done. And has had some of the best coverage of everything that is going on in the middle east.

I don't consider this channel to be the anti American Channel, in fact I would say Russia Today channel is more Anti American then what AJ is.

DISH already caries a number of AJ owned channels including the popular Be In Sport soccer channel which is owned and operated by AJ. It would not surprise me or upset me if DISH carried this channel... in fact I hope they do as I find it refreshing to see others views on the news of the world.

With that said, this site is NOT a political discussion site (for our Pub Members we do have The Pit where political talk is allowed.) so do not turn this into a political thread or the thread can be closed and you might be forced to take a vacation... and we don't want to do that. :)

I sure hope Dish will reconsider carrying the channel. I watch AJE on roku and it's actually quite better than BBC World News, which Comcast just added in my area (Jacksonville). BBC World is very redundant, replaying the same news briefs over and over. AJE is fresh, and also has a lot of documentaries from all over the world, not just the Middle East. Americans' arguments I've heard against carrying AJE are xenophobic and seem to have some root in prejudice just because the channel is based in the Middle East.

True, Al Jazeera Arabic did broadcast statements made by OBL post 9/11, but this is no different than South Korean television broadcasting statements made by Kim Jung-un or playing clips from KCNA, the mouthpiece of the the NK government. Or when Bill O'Reilly interviews Michael Moore. Or when CNN plays the latest anti-US/Israel speech by Ahmadinejad.

It's called Information, and whether we agree or disagree politically with the Information being presented is very different from not being allowed to have access to and listen to the Information. That's what oppressive societies around the world practice: They control, censor, and restrict the flow of Information. This country, nor its broadcasters, should practice that.

Now AJE is very different from its Arabic counterpart. You won't hear running rants by the latest disgruntled cleric. But you may see him interviewed in a story, followed by a contrasting voice. They are very good at presenting all sides of a story/issue. You also won't see the latest Baby's Mama Drama news from Hollywood (who got arrested for drugs, what celebrity had an affair, etc). I recently heard on a CBC News story that most Americans know more about what's happening in Hollywood than DC or overseas. Our news is much more entertainment-oriented than other countries. Of course, that's what sells here.

Try watching the channel online before passing judgement about it. It's not anti-American or owned by terrorists. They do a nice job of juggling the opposing views in the Arabic world and frequently get in trouble with the regimes there when they broadcast those government's atrocities towards their people or pro-democratic opinions of those being oppressed.

Al-Jazeera is hardly unbiased or a 'just the facts' channel.

There's been, at last count, 22 staff members that have resigned over accusations of biased, pro-Muslim Brotherhood coverage in Egypt. There have also been resignations because of the lack of reporting of anti-government uprisings in Bahrain and Syria.

The station is owned by the Al Jazeera Network in Doha, Qatar. However, most of its money comes from the Qatar government and it's been proven that they air stories based on the political slant of the Qatar government. Qatar uses Sharia law and therefore its political slant will put Sharia, and Sunni Islam, above all else.

I'm not saying anything pro or con against Al Jazeera or Qatar, just pointing out that they are hardly 'independent' or 'unbiased'.

I don't think there is any news organization out there that is unbiased, even the BBC. Probably the closest to being unbiased is EuroNews, where a lot of their news is just raw video... with no comentators telling you what you should be thinking about the video you are watching.

I will say that getting Al Jazeera English via Newscaster on the Roku yields much better PQ than the online stream. I have 25/15 and the jerkiness of the online stream makes it hard to watch. Haven't watched in months, but this thread had me give them another go. I understand that their reporting has been getting more even-handed over the years.

If the Al-Jazeera Arabic language broadcast were translated into English without any censoring or editing of the content, most people would be horrified.

The same goes with a lot of foreign language newscasts.

Hell go on vacation and take a look at the front pages of the newspapers, its not uncommon to see dead bodies and all kinds of gross things on the front page.

You do realize that Al-Jazeera and Al-Jazeera America are two different channels, right?

Both entities are owned by the same group. It's like saying NBC and MSNBC are different channels. Yes, they sort-of are, but the owners are the same: Al Jazeera Media Network.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)