ALL HD channels good on *C except RDS

misterroboto

Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
I just installed a *C system down here in North Carolina, with a PVR530 receiver and the quad LNBF with a 75cm dish. All of my HD channels are coming in with good signal strength (> 5.2db), except for RDS HD (channel 240) and SRC HD, which are coming in at a very weak 2.5db signal. So it goes in and out on my tv. All my non-HD channels are coming in at a very high signal strength.

Anybody have any idea why the RDS channel would have so many problems? I replaced BEV with *C so that I could get HD channels, and in particular, the RDS HD channel for Canadiens hockey.

Is there an alternate LNBF that I could buy that has better reception? Or is there a device I could buy to amplify the signal from my dish to my receiver (I do have a long cable run from the dish to the receiver - about 75 feet).

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I will try to realign the dish to get a better signal on RDS HD, but I fear I will lose all of my good HD channels.

an amplifier wont help for that short length. I run about 100 feet with no issues.

The HD channels will have a lower ebno # than the non HD channels.

RDS & SRC are on the same transponder (TP27) so it might be a transponder issue.

I just "upgraded" my setup to a 1.2m dish here in MN. The quad LNB I had went out so I was just setup on F1 for a while. Finally added a dish for AnikF2.

If you could check the ebno# on a couple other TP"s then we can see if its the LNB or not
(options 6-4-7)

291 Fox Seattle (TP25...also a H transponder)
269 TSN2 (TP20...another H TP)
284 NBC Detroit (vertical transponder)
280 TSN (another vertical TP)
AnikF2 is weird as TP 1-16 are vertical and 17-32 are horizontal (versus other sats that alternate polarity)

what's weird is RDS & SRC here in MN are higher ebno's than others
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1898045-post8.html

SD (ebno #'s)
420 NFLN 13.5
559 EWTN 11.5
700 SRC 13.9
711 TVA 13.8
750 RDS 13.3

HD
244 SRC 9.8
261 SNETO 9.3
280 TSN 9.1
274 SPEED 9.8
286 CBSE 9.9
291 FOXW 10.1
295 ABCW 8.8

an option might be a separate dish for F2 for the HD channels. Otherwise try and peak on RDS and see what happens with the other channels (if the ebno #'s go down)

last winter, I had problems with the French HD channels, which sucks, since I am French-loving :D, although most of the other HD channels came in fine. I had to adjust my alignment just a hair.

But Ice is right, two dishes is the way to go

At my location in Northern Alabama I get a signal of 90 and and Ecb of 6.8 with the same dish setup as you. At your location you should be able to get higher than an Ecb of 5.2. I spent 2.5 hours a little while back which brought that transponder (TP27) up from 6.1 to 6.8. Spend some more time adjusting and see if you can improve on it.

Some fellas on the Canadain site said they were getting a strong signal on F2 in Acapulco with the standard Shaw Direct dish. :bow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts