All rented On Demand Titles Disappeared.... Again!

kg2280

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Ok. I can't be the only one experiencing this. Any advice would be great, because at this point I'm ready to drop DISH altogether.
About a month ago, I noticed on my 722 receiver, that after an automatic update one night, the next day all of my On Demand titles were gone, but the space they were taking on hard drive was still utilized. I was told to wait until after the next nightly update to see if they appeared again as maybe it was a system glitch that would correct itself. I gave it a day or two before trying more On Demand titles and sure enough the next day...gone!
I came here for help and through the awesome DIRT team, they upgraded my to a Hopper, SuperJoey, Joey set up in my home. Since my equipment was becoming obselete, we thought maybe it's age was part of the cause.
So my Hopper system was installed and going ok for the first couple weeks, I had about 18 or so titles in the On Demand folder and a couple nights ago, the same thing happened after the 1:30 update. Yep... they were all gone, but I have same amount if DVR space remaining. No space was gained. Yes, these were all free events with well over 20 days viewing time left so there's no reason for them to just keep disappearing.
Checked the "deleted items" folder as well and nothing.

Called Dish technical support who went through the usual Kindergarten steps of resetting receiver, unplugging and all that to no avail....
This may not seem like a big deal to some, but On Demand is the way I prefer watching movies/shows (commercial free, picture looks less compressed, etc) and I'm all but afraid to use it now out of fear that eventually, after the nightly updates I'll keep losing them but gaining no DVR Space, so eventually I have a full hard drive of phantom on demand events that are no where to be found.

Is anyone else experiencing this and as fed up with it as I am? I'm about ready to pay the EFT and give Direct a try!
Help!

You can run a search for the programs, and they should appear as downloaded in the search screen. You should then be able to watch them that way.

Reactions: kg2280
Just because you don't have pretty little pictures? Sorry, can't sympathize to that extreme.
Ok... Where did that come from and do you even understand the issue I'm having? You know what... Nevermind. I can tell from your response you haven't a clue because this isn't about "pictures"

Ok... Where did that come from and do you even understand the issue I'm having? You know what... Nevermind. I can tell from your response you haven't a clue because this isn't about "pictures"
Sorry, must not have had my glasses on. Read it as tiles, or icons

Dude... What's your issue with me and/or my post? This site has always been a good source for troubleshooting, DIRT assistance, etc whenever someone needs help or a point in the right direction. If you don't understand what my issue is, ask me or don't reply at all of you're not interested or think it's stupid...but don't insult me. There's no need for all that.

I think Hall was trying to apologize.

This may not seem like a big deal to some, but On Demand is the way I prefer watching movies/shows (commercial free, picture looks less compressed, etc) and I'm all but afraid to use it now out of fear that eventually, after the nightly updates I'll keep losing them but gaining no DVR Space, so eventually I have a full hard drive of phantom on demand events that are no where to be found.

Two things. I think the way Dish goes about this iVOD stuff is just wrong. They want to keep fine grained control and monitoring of everything we watch, and it winds up breaking playback in this way. The last time I had this issue on my 722 and 612s, I noticed that the programs are all still there, but just inaccessible directly from the receiver. (They were still accessible via Sling for the 722.) Eventually they get deleted, so I don't think we have to worry about the disk filing up.

The second thing I wanted to mention was the un-skippable ads. I've seen enough of these to sour me on iVOD entirely. At least to date I can still record channels via sat and skip ads. The day Dish prevents that is the day I say goodbye to Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)