Almost 1 million people cut the premium cord last quarter.

Cord Cutting is only half of the problem, the other half is no growth

I have written this before, 4 million born a year, 2.5 million die a year in the US, it has been that way for more then 30 years now on average, so about 1.5 million are not subbing to pay TV, but they are subbing to broadband, Comcast alone had about a 400,000 increase in broadband subs this last quarter.

Internet is more important then TV for most, it is for me, if I had to make a choice the TV Subscription would be gone, most shows I watch are on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, some next day, some later, I just need to have patience.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I personally think that at least 30% of the cord cutters will return to the "system" once they realize the complete limitations/sacrifices involved. That's why Dish, and Verizon are offering more competive "packs" to bring them back in.

Reactions: Tampa8
I personally think that at least 30% of the cord cutters will return to the "system" once they realize the complete limitations/sacrifices involved. That's why Dish, and Verizon are offering more competive "packs" to bring them back in.

I agree. I went back to dish after 2 years of streaming this and that. Now i am pretty happy being back

Also you have to figure streaming through Amazon, Netflix and Hulu etc. will become much more expensive as programmers start losing traditional revenue. They will not continue to give the milk away for free when people stop buying the cow.

I had to come back to Dish this month because unlimited internet is no longer available for us. I cancelled about 6 streaming services. My wife never really appreciated the whole cordcutter thing anyway so she is probably happier. Coming back to the Hopper 3 from the VIP 722 is really quite the eye opener too.

On the Sunday morning show, surveys showed that people may be cutting the cord but the satisfaction of Internet TV is way down from cable and satellite TV.

812,000 is only 81% of 1 million. I would consider anything over 950,00 or more as "almost". Misleading headline (IMO) from the site.

But even if KAB is correct in his assessment that 30% will sign back up with a pay-tv provider, that's still 568,400 people gone for good.

My wife and I really do enjoy having a pay-tv provider, but don't like high prices. So we jump around every 2 years or so to get the best deals. Having some Tivo's make us very flexible in that regard. Even if we signed back up with a sat provider, the Tivo's would record OTA programming. We sub to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. My wife hardly ever watches them, but I do and the kids almost watch them exclusively. We're prepared to cut the cord, but I don't see it anytime soon.

That 812,000 lost this 2nd quarter of this year is on top of the 612,000 last year at this time. This is a definite change in the total numbers. "A larger problem then cord cutting looms: These loses come even as the the number of households forming is starting to grow , meaning more cord NEVERS." This is what I have been predicting for the last few years. The existing cable /satellite subs are literally dying out every day and the newer generation is not into the pay tv model and doesn't look like they will ever be. So the cord nevers are growing. This is why "skinny bundles" are now an option to keep the existing subs from leaving or cutting the cord entirely.

Interesting that we finally have a real number for the sling subs at 764,000. I'm betting this number changes daily ,since people can come and go easily online and only take the service when they want to. Sling tv still needs a way to record these shows or make them all video on demand. This is the biggest draw back to the service I can see today. Live tv is nice for sports and news shows, but no one wants to watch commercials. NO ONE.

I would think that if a company like Google or Apple could come up with an interface site that allows you to see all your online content from all the different online companies like Hulu, Amazon, Netflix , etc in one place and allow a way to record these shows or to download them to one place, it would make cord cutting so much easier. Right now it is a confusing mess of different apps that you have to go through looking for the shows you want. Just list the tv shows in alphabetical order and the site allows you to see the shows from where ever they are coming from and tells you what site you need to be a member of to get them. Put the shows first and the sites second , so people could just access them all in one site. This would make cord cutting much more attractive to everyone if you could do this and save money too.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
I would think that if a company like Google or Apple could come up with an interface site that allows you to see all your online content from all the different online companies like Hulu, Amazon, Netflix , etc in one place and allow a way to record these shows or to download them to one place, it would make cord cutting so much easier. Right now it is a confusing mess of different apps that you have to go through looking for the shows you want. Just list the tv shows in alphabetical order and the site allows you to see the shows from where ever they are coming from and tells you what site you need to be a member of to get them. Put the shows first and the sites second , so people could just access them all in one site. This would make cord cutting much more attractive to everyone if you could do this and save money too.

Tivo will do this with their Roamio and Bolt lines of DVRs. You search for a show, set up a season pass, and it will add it to a folder from whatever sources you have access to (if it offers the app). I used it to set up shows across OTA, netflix, hulu, vudu, ect.

Roku also does it to an extent.

Tivo will do this with their Roamio and Bolt lines of DVRs. You search for a show, set up a season pass, and it will add it to a folder from whatever sources you have access to (if it offers the app). I used it to set up shows across OTA, netflix, hulu, vudu, ect.

Cool.:bigok

That was until a week ago when TiVo started making the switch from Gracenote to Rovi guide data. They are having problems with the data integration of the online sources with Rovi data.

I agree numbers are Skew,
I swap premiums all the time.
Sometimes only 1, Sometimes 3.

Been doing this since 2005

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The numbers are skewed. I dropped HBO simply because Game of Thrones played out. No cord cutting crusade with me.

I agree numbers are Skew,
I swap premiums all the time.
Sometimes only 1, Sometimes 3.

Been doing this since 2005

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Dropping premium channels has nothing to do with the numbers of people dropping cable/sat services.

The numbers are skewed. I dropped HBO simply because Game of Thrones played out. No cord cutting crusade with me.
How does that fit in with the number of people dropping cable itself though?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The title is misleading. While it says "premium", it really means traditional MVPD Pay TV.

It is all premium in my view, HBO and the others is just more expensive premium.

It is all premium in my view, HBO and the others is just more expensive premium.
That's fine, but now you're not making sense. Your initial message said "dropping premium channels has nothing to do with dropping sat/cable services". The article is talking about just that, dropping sat/cable services. Yes, the article title is misleading.

Reactions: dennispap and KAB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)