Almost Comical Chat with Dish online rep regarding "No Phone Line Fee"

AgraJag

Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Had a long chat with an online service rep initially asking about needing a phone line for service. After a lengthy run around, I finally got a straight answer about the "No Phone Line Fee":down, even though I really didn't get a straight answer on exactly what the phone line is actually used for. I still plan on dropping comcrap to go to Dish, just thought I'd share. Still think the No Phone Line Fee is do-do from large male cow.

You have been connected to (01) Zyra G.
(01) Zyra G: Welcome to Dish Network, the home of Better TV for All. To better assist you with your buying experience and ensure that we can contact you in case this session gets disconnected, may I have your phone number please?
Jacob: I'd rather not, thanks. just have a simple question
(01) Zyra G: That won't be a problem.
Jacob: I was wondering if there is anyway to get around needing a phone line for service. Say connection to ethernet?
(01) Zyra G: How may I help you today?
(01) Zyra G: For me to better assist you, are you a former customer of Dish Network?
Jacob: no, only have had comcast
(01) Zyra G: Thank you for that information.
(01) Zyra G: If I understand you correctly, you don't have an active home phone, am I correct?
Jacob: correct, I only have a Cell Phone and Cable Internet service
(01) Zyra G: We do not require a phone line, but if you have an active phone line that you can plug into the receiver we will waive the $5.00 No Phone Line Fee.
(01) Zyra G: The phone line needs to be connected at the back of a dual tuner receiver.
Jacob: why is a no phone line fee charged?
Jacob: does not having a phone line impact service? If it does, why is it not required?
(01) Zyra G: The $5.00 programming access fee or no phone line fee is an administrative fee to transmit all of the programming from your primary tuner to the additional tuner(s). It requires more resources from our uplink center and our satellites to transmit the additional feed and signal to the additional tuners.
(01) Zyra G: The receiver will still work even if you don't have an active home phone. However, you will not be able to take advantage of our interactive TV services, Customer Support Application, or Caller ID applications. You will also not be able to use your remote control to order any Pay-Per-View events or movies. You also need to take care of the $5 No Phone Line Fee.
(01) Zyra G: Have I answered all your concerns?
Jacob: So you don't have the option of internet connection for service?
(01) Zyra G: Are you referring to having ethernet hooked up to the receiver?
Jacob: yes
(01) Zyra G: Please give me a few minutes while I research that information for you.
(01) Zyra G: I checked my resources, however ethernet can't be hooked up to the receiver.
Jacob: Well that sucks, I should think then that fee should be included in the DVR service fee since all DVRs have dual tuners.
(01) Zyra G: We have different types of dual tuner receivers.
(01) Zyra G: We have a SD dual tuner receiver, SD DVR receiver, HD dual tuner receiver and the HD DVR receiver. These are all dual tuners.
Jacob: right, but all of your DVRs have dual tuners right? and you charge a DVR service fee right?
(01) Zyra G: That is correct. Our DVR receivers are dual tuners.
(01) Zyra G: If you get a DVR receiver, there is a $5.98 video-on-demand fee.
(01) Zyra G: This fee is different from the No Phone Line Fee.
(01) Zyra G: Have I answered all your questions?
Jacob: So the fee isn't for "DVR" service, but for the video-on-demand? So what is the phone line actually needed for besides interactive TV services, Customer Support Application, or Caller ID applications, or Pay-Per-View?
(01) Zyra G: This will also prevent or avoid you from paying an additional $5 on your monthly bill.
(01) Zyra G: Even if you don't have a phone line attached at the back of the DVR receiver, this box can still record, pause live programming, skip commercials and a whole lot more.
Jacob: haha, that's funny. I need a phone line to avoid paying extra money for something I wouldn't use anyway?
(01) Zyra G: The reason why we manufactured a dual tuner receiver is for you to be able to save money since you don't have to pay additional lease fees for each receiver that you will get beyond your 1st box.
(01) Zyra G: Have I addressed your concern?I can assist you in placing your order online.
Jacob: ok, but that still doesn't make sense why I need to pay an extra $5 a month for not having a phone line, when the only thing it's used for is content that I wont use?
Jacob: seems like I have to pay for something that I won't have access to anyway if I don't use a phone line.
(01) Zyra G: If you don't want to be charged the No Phone Line Fee, then you can just get single tuner receivers.
Jacob: But I want DVR service, which you say only have dual tuners
(01) Zyra G: This way you don't have to have an active phone line attached at the back of the receivers.
(01) Zyra G: Yes, that is correct.
(01) Zyra G: I can see your concern about the No Phone Line Fee, however this is just a minimal cost for us to be able to to transmit all of the programming from your primary tuner to the additional tuner(s).
(01) Zyra G: I can assure you that once you have Dish Network service, you would realize that it really pays off.
Jacob: The extra programming is transmitted through the phone line?
Jacob: This is a rhetorical question of course. That extra fee just doesn't make sense to me when all programming is actually sent through the satellite link
(01) Zyra G: As what I have told you earlier, it requires more resources from our uplink center and our satellites to transmit the additional feed and signal to the additional tuners.
Jacob: that still doesn't tell me exactly what the phone line is used for in that regard
Jacob: forgive me, but I couldn't find online what it's used for
(01) Zyra G: The Phone Line is used for you to be able to have access to our interactive features and other cool features as well like ordering pay-per-views through your remote control.
(01) Zyra G: Have I addressed all of your concerns?I can assist you in placing your order online today.
Jacob: and we come back to that. If I don't have a phone line, I don't have access to those services. Why should I be charged for something I will not be using because I don't have a phone line? Seems like it would be a trade off
Jacob: no phone line, no extra features
(01) Zyra G: I can see where you're coming from. As much as I would like to remove the $5 No Phone Line Fee for you, however I really cannot do so. Our system will recognize that your receiver is not attached to a phone line and it's automatically charged by our system.
Jacob: So is there no way this can be waived (besides getting a phone line) in order to aquire a new customer
Jacob: Man, that sucks
Jacob: Well, thank you for your time.
(01) Zyra G: Please give me a few minutes while I research that information for you.
Jacob: ok
(01) Zyra G: Thank you.
(01) Zyra G: Since you told me that you don't have a phone line and you don't want to be charged a $5 No Phone Line Fee, you can purchase a wireless phone jack which is only for $39.
Jacob: ?? what is that?
(01) Zyra G: In this case, you don't have to have an active phone line attached at the back of the receiver.
Jacob: what does that do?
Jacob: Wouldn't I still need phone service for that?
(01) Zyra G: This serves as a replacement for the active phone line.
Jacob: Seems like the same thing as if I were to plug into one of the inactive phone jacks in my house?
(01) Zyra G: You need to plug the base unit into an electrical outlet and an existing phone jack, then plug the extension unit where the satellite receiver is located.
(01) Zyra G: This turns any electrical outlet into a modem or phone jack.
Jacob: ?? Like I said, seems like the same thing as if I plug the receiver into an existing wall phone jack.
Jacob: So I would not need an active phone service?
(01) Zyra G: As long as there is an existing phone line that will do.
Jacob: Again, please answer this question:
Jacob: Do I or do I not need to have active phone service with a phone company in order to waive the phone line fee?
Jacob: Regardless of whether or not I have existing phone line jacks in my house?
(01) Zyra G: You don't need to have an active phone line.
(01) Zyra G: As long as there is an existing phone jack, that will be fine.
Jacob: So I can plug the receiver into a dead phone jack in my house and I will not be charged the phone line fee?
(01) Zyra G: You need to have the wireless phone jack plugged into an electrical outlet and an existing phone jack.
Jacob: You just said I don't need the wireless phone jack if I have an existing phone jack near the receiver
Jacob: "(01) Zyra G: As long as there is an existing phone line that will do. "
(01) Zyra G: What I meant is that, you don't need to have an active home phone as long as you have a wireless phone jack plugged into an electrical outlet and an existing phone line or phone jack.
(01) Zyra G: You may already have your order placed online today so you can enjoy the service.
Jacob: I just read about this wireless phone jack and all they do is make it so you can put a phone where there is not already a phone jack.
(01) Zyra G: Are you currently on our website?
Jacob: You keep dancing around my questions. I just want a clear answer. Can you just tell me that "Jacob, if you plug your satellite receiver into an inactive phone jack, you can waive the $5 No Phone Line Fee. You do not have to pay for Land Line Phone service."
Jacob: yes I am
Jacob: "... and you do not need to pay for a "wireless phone system"
(01) Zyra G: You can't have an inactive phone jack directly connected to the receiver.
(01) Zyra G: That will still charge you the $5 No Phone Line Fee.
Jacob: Why not? You're telling me the wireless phone base can be plugged into an inactive phone jack. What's the difference?
(01) Zyra G: Please give me a few minutes while I check on this information.
Jacob: Sure, take your time
(01) Zyra G: I tried to check my resources again, I do apologize for any inconvenience. Let me correct myself, you really need to have an active phone line so you won't be charged the $5 No Phone Line Fee.
Jacob: Ah, I see and there really is no way to get around that?
(01) Zyra G: Yes, as much as we would like to waive the $5 No Phone Line Fee we really can't do so unless you have an active phone line attached to the receiver.
(01) Zyra G: Let me correct myself, the wireless phone jack needs to be plugged in to an existing and active phone jack.
Jacob: LOL, ok. Well, thank you for your time. Have a good day.
(01) Zyra G: You're welcome.
(01) Zyra G: Have I answered all your questions? I can assist you in placing your order online today.
Jacob: You have, but no not today. Thank you. :rolleyes:
/end session

The Vip622 & 722 does have an active ethernet port that will call home in place of the phone line.

At least I think call home over ethernet is working now.

Also, the $5 is really nothing more than a "because we can" fee.

The Vip622 & 722 does have an active ethernet port that will call home in place of the phone line.

At least I think call home over ethernet is working now.

Also, the $5 is really nothing more than a "because we can" fee.

Well, that's contrary to what "Zyra" told me, but then not sure if she's the most knowledgeable on there.

That would be sweet if true. If anybody knows for sure, please let me know.

I've read in other threads in this forum that if you have a receiver with an ethernet port that you can use that in lieu of a phone line connection. I can't confirm that this is correct or not, and I don't know which receivers are ethernet capable, but that may be an option for you.

Last edited:
How many threads are on here now about using the ethernet connection? Any of the VIP DVR boxes can do this.

The phone line fee just keeps people connected to phone lines. Its primary function is to call out and avoid account stacking. The CSR probually just told you anything at that point to get you off with her. Cant say I blame her much.

How many threads are on here now about using the ethernet connection? Any of the VIP DVR boxes can do this.

The phone line fee just keeps people connected to phone lines. Its primary function is to call out and avoid account stacking. The CSR probually just told you anything at that point to get you off with her. Cant say I blame her much.

Uh, if you actually read the transcript, she never said, "Yes you may use the ethernet port instead of a phone line with your DVR box." That would have been the easiest way to "get me off" with her. Sure, I could have come and searched endlessly on this forum to get a definite for sure answer to my question, but I thought I would get a quick straight answer from someone who supposedly has authoritative knowledge on the subject and save myself some time. Obviously, that turned out to be no time saver at all (and no real help).

The problem is that she probably just told me anything at that point instead of knowing what she is selling enough to answer a simple question correctly and get a sale.

Anyway, this was just a humorous conversation that gives strength to the opinion that most CSRs (for any company) usually don't know wtf they're talking about and aren't really that interested in helping you. Thank you for bringing about that point. BTW, I was a CSR for over a year, and I never told someone what they wanted to hear just so they'd "get off with me" (talking customers only, not women I met in bars)

Not all their DVRs have ethernet, I didn't see where you said you wanted a specific model. Since the new HD-DVR doesn't service two tv's it shouldn't have the fee.

This is the part I cannot stop laughing at.
The $5.00 programming access fee or no phone line fee is an administrative fee to transmit all of the programming from your primary tuner to the additional tuner(s). It requires more resources from our uplink center and our satellites to transmit the additional feed and signal to the additional tuners.

I found most hiarious at that point of conversation: "The $5.00 programming access fee or no phone line fee is an administrative fee to transmit all of the programming from your primary tuner to the additional tuner(s). It requires more resources from our uplink center and our satellites to transmit the additional feed and signal to the additional tuners".
A person who wrote for CSR script is very profound writer.

{Pepper, are you readed my minds ? :D]

Uh, if you actually read the transcript, she never said, "Yes you may use the ethernet port instead of a phone line with your DVR box." That would have been the easiest way to "get me off" with her. Sure, I could have come and searched endlessly on this forum to get a definite for sure answer to my question, but I thought I would get a quick straight answer from someone who supposedly has authoritative knowledge on the subject and save myself some time. Obviously, that turned out to be no time saver at all (and no real help).

The problem is that she probably just told me anything at that point instead of knowing what she is selling enough to answer a simple question correctly and get a sale.

Anyway, this was just a humorous conversation that gives strength to the opinion that most CSRs (for any company) usually don't know wtf they're talking about and aren't really that interested in helping you. Thank you for bringing about that point. BTW, I was a CSR for over a year, and I never told someone what they wanted to hear just so they'd "get off with me" (talking customers only, not women I met in bars)

Yes I read the conversation while my mind couldnt take it any longer. The point I was trying to make was that there have been many many threads on the ethernet port on this forum. You didnt want to search but go on and on about it on a new thread.

Yes I read the conversation while my mind couldnt take it any longer. The point I was trying to make was that there have been many many threads on the ethernet port on this forum. You didnt want to search but go on and on about it on a new thread.

Your mind couldn't take it any longer and yet you still decide to make a comment (that was neither helpful nor constructive I might add). Besides, you still seem to be missing the point of my thread in the first place. The point was sharing an asinine conversation with an ill-informed CSR, not creating another thread about a topic that exists on this forum (which I did look for after posting my thread). Thanks for your input, and feel free to move on now. :wave

Your mind couldn't take it any longer and yet you still decide to make a comment (that was neither helpful nor constructive I might add). Besides, you still seem to be missing the point of my thread in the first place. The point was sharing an asinine conversation with an ill-informed CSR, not creating another thread about a topic that exists on this forum (which I did look for after posting my thread). Thanks for your input, and feel free to move on now. :wave

One comment I may make about the answer the CSR gave that may explain some of their confusion in answering the question is that some of their boxes contain an ethernet port that can NOT use the port to eliminate the fee is the 625 (unless they have changed this and I missed it). Last I knew, the 625, an SD Dual Tuner DVR, has the port on the back, but it can't "Phone Home" through the port.

In addition, not all of the DVR's are Dual Tuners are they??? I can think of the 508, 510, and a few others that are single tuners, yet are DVR's correct??? (Though they may not be available through Dish Network, I am sure you could buy one and get it activated, say through E-Bay if no where else???) That would make adding the fee to the DVR Fee a non-possibility.

Geoff

But since a dual-tuner receiver can't be in two houses at once, it shouldn't require a phone connection. If they don't want to adapt their software to keep track of which accounts have a dual-tuner receiver, it shouldn't be the customer's problem. And I can and do blame CSRs for spouting nonsense! If you don't know how your company's product works, you shouldn't be representing them.

My 2 VIP-722's that were hooked up on Jan 2 are currently using Ethernet only and as far as I know, that is all I need. The installers didn't mention anything about needing them hooked to the phone line like my 2 522's were. I could hook up the phone lines, but I was under the impression that Ethernet was all I needed. I guess I will find out soon enough. They have called me up before when the phone wouldn't dial out and communicate correctly (didn't have a DSL filter on that jack so it was flakey).

My 2 VIP-722's that were hooked up on Jan 2 are currently using Ethernet only and as far as I know, that is all I need. The installers didn't mention anything about needing them hooked to the phone line like my 2 522's were. I could hook up the phone lines, but I was under the impression that Ethernet was all I needed. I guess I will find out soon enough. They have called me up before when the phone wouldn't dial out and communicate correctly (didn't have a DSL filter on that jack so it was flakey).

Ethernet connection is all you need to avoid the fee and get most of the extra services like ordering PPV with your remote control, etc. except for caller ID on the screen.

Thats my understanding of this anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts