am I the only one that hates the new Lyngsat Beam Maps?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Walrus,

You will have to show me what you mean about the "small print" next time you visit. You may be looking at something different than I am. Either that or you are SO old that your eyes are much worse than mine... Oh, that's right, you are older than me! HA! Just rubbing it in! :)

Sideline conversation... Lyle is giving me a ride to Omaha to pick up car parts this afternoon. Give me a call later in the afternoon (or early evening) if you have the time.

RADAR

Sorry won't be able to call you this weekend, leaving in two hours with the wife for our Anniversary. She has to teach at Colridge for scrap booking class on Saturday so that should be a lot of fun for me :D hee hee! But will take in a movie and dinner tonight in Norfolk.

I also noticed that everytime I try to log onto satcodx it takes me to satbeams? Either I am doing something wrong or the two sites have become one in the same?

The maps I was trying to open at satbeams were the C-band footprints for ero birds and some NSS for C-band for UK coverage. Wanted to see the dbm to help out (I-and-I), begining to believe that a 1.2 meter dish is to small for some of the C-band programing broadcast to the UK.

Walrus,

This is what SatBeams shows me for Eutelsat W2A @ 10°E from southern England. I think these SatBeam maps are easy to use, but their server must be small as it seems to bog down from time to time.

RADAR

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 27 12.25.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 27 12.25.gif
    186 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I also liked the simple chart that showed the size of the dish necessary to get each sat according to your location

John,

Do you mean the color block chart that SatBeams used to have off to the right side of the screen?

It took me a while to get used to them removing that feature and applying the "balloons" which appear by clicking on a location on the map. Each has its merits, but I have now become adjusted to their new style and I think I like it just fine. You cannot get the broader view of the EIRP map as you could in the old way with just a quick glance, but the specific information for one finite site is displayed much more boldly now.

Either way, it is much better than what Lyngsat is presenting and you are right, Lyngsats older maps were at least nicer to read and view than they are now.

RADAR

Dear all,

Somehow I have missed this discussion regarding Satbeams...

I just wanted to state that some people may not like Satbeam's interface, but it was designed this way to ensure that any map can be reached with maximum 2-3 clicks of a mouse. That's why there is always a satellites lineup on top. It takes some time to get used to navigation but I am sure at the end you will appreciate it. :)

Regarding the maps they are surely slower than regular "picture" maps but that's the cost of having them scalable and having all the math that provides the dish alignment help. The majority of the US/Canada maps are coming from the same source as here at SATMAPS - FCC and were kindly provided by our friend Nelson61! All other maps were recieved from the best possible sources including directly from the Satellite providers. The maps are regulary updated and at the moment we have the biggest collection of satellite footprints in the world in KML (Google Earth) format.

We are constantly looking at improving the site and your feedback is very important for us!

Should you have any suggestions how to improve the website or willing to help with maintaining the TPs/channels data do not hesitate to contact us through contact form at Satbeams or send me a PM here.

I have subscribed to this thread and will try to do my best to address your questions and concerns here. Just bear in mind the time difference as I am based in Europe.

Sincerely,

Alexander aka SatBeams

I've been using Satbeams all along and think they are great.
I like the whole interface

Never tried the Lyngsat contour maps that I can remember.

I agree with the OP.
The old Lyngsat maps were adequate and instant.
Great for comparison and quick answers.
Their new maps are ... variable ... and often worthless.

Satbeams old interface where you hovered to lite up the relevant info was good for its zoom-ability, but tedious to use, and difficult to select the proper bird/band.
So, I gave up general Satbeam use.

Their new interface certainly seems to provide interesting data and maping, as in AcWxRadar's many examples.
I'll give it a try once again.
However, I do not favor a tool I have to spend a great deal of time to find a simple answer.

I agree with the OP.
The old Lyngsat maps were adequate and instant.
Great for comparison and quick answers.
Their new maps are ... variable ... and often worthless.

Satbeams old interface where you hovered to lite up the relevant info was good for its zoom-ability, but tedious to use, and difficult to select the proper bird/band.
So, I gave up general Satbeam use.

Their new interface certainly seems to provide interesting data and maping, as in AcWxRadar's many examples.
I'll give it a try once again.
However, I do not favor a tool I have to spend a great deal of time to find a simple answer.

I agree. That is definitely a drawback.

Dear all,

I just wanted to state that some people may not like Satbeam's interface, but it was designed this way to ensure that any map can be reached with maximum 2-3 clicks of a mouse. That's why there is always a satellites lineup on top. It takes some time to get used to navigation but I am sure at the end you will appreciate it. :)

Regarding the maps they are surely slower than regular "picture" maps but that's the cost of having them scalable and having all the math that provides the dish alignment help. The majority of the US/Canada maps are coming from the same source as here at SATMAPS - FCC and were kindly provided by our friend Nelson61! All other maps were recieved from the best possible sources including directly from the Satellite providers. The maps are regulary updated and at the moment we have the biggest collection of satellite footprints in the world in KML (Google Earth) format.

We are constantly looking at improving the site and your feedback is very important for us!

Should you have any suggestions how to improve the website or willing to help with maintaining the TPs/channels data do not hesitate to contact us through contact form at Satbeams or send me a PM here.

I have subscribed to this thread and will try to do my best to address your questions and concerns here. Just bear in mind the time difference as I am based in Europe.

Sincerely,

Alexander aka SatBeams

Thanks for the insight!:up

Dear all,

Sincerely,

Alexander aka SatBeams

Alexander,

Hello! We had a conversation via email in early October of 2009. You may not remember me specificially, but you sent me a PM through the ALSAT forum and we discussed a few items regarding the SatBeams site and its navigation.

I am registered as a member of SatBeams under the same screen name as I use here on SatelliteGuys.us and on ALSAT's site (AcWxRADAR).

I used to use Lyngsat and SatCoDX for satellite beam, transponder and channel information, but since you and I conversed in October, I have been using SatBeams exclusively. I liked your maps much better then, and now that Lyngsat has changed their map format, your site has become the ultimate site for this in my opinion.

Once I honed my skills in navigating the SatBeams site, it became obvious that it is so much better than anything else available at this time and much better than the predecessors.

Certain aspects of Lyngsat's site are quicker to navigate, but then again, they don't contain as much data as SatBeams does. Lyngsat is still good as a quick reference guide, but it falls short when it comes to details.

I do still have a few issues with loading some of the data from SatBeams, though. I detect quite a few "server error" messages and sometimes, the site locks up and I have to log out and back in and start over. Some of this could be an issue with my PC and my internet connection, but I also detect this when I use other PCs and even my work PC (which is a major US Corporation - so the connection shouldn't be of poor quality).

An other issue that I discussed with you back in October still exists. This is the issue regarding selecting a specific orbital position to display EIRP maps. The site automatically loads a default satellite footprint map when there is more than one map available. I wish you could program the site to prompt the user to select the specific satellite or beam before it begins loading anything. This is especially important for people who have slow internet connections and lame PC's as it sometimes requires a bit of time to load all the map chunks. If the map that the site loads automatically is not the one you wanted, you have to wait for it to load in its entireity before switching to the beam you originally wanted to view. This isn't a terrible obstacle to overcome, but if you are in a hurry you really notice the delay that it creates.

Beyond these minor issues, I really am impressed with SatBeams. As you may have noticed, I have been promoting your site here. When something is good, I don't usually say too much about it, but when it is exceptional, I definitely make mention of it. I think that SatBeams is exceptional.

Thank you Alexander D.,

Gordy (AcWxRADAR)

Last edited:
SatStar Footprint Database

Hi,
A bit of good news for all you who misses the old Lyngsat footprint maps! They are not gone just moved to our new site that are now operated independently:
http://www.satstar.net

However our new site is not just a collection of footprint images, it’s now a searchable database where you can use the new BeamFinder tool and get answers to questions like: "Which satellite beams can I receive at my location with my current equipment?", "How do I aim my satellite dish to receive a specific satellite beam?" and "What dish size do I need to receive a specific satellite beam?".

Please try it out; we appreciate any comments or suggestions!

(We have pretty much covered the FTA-birds and will soon begin to make footprints for the US PayTV-birds from the FCC gtx-files)

Hi,
A bit of good news for all you who misses the old Lyngsat footprint maps! They are not gone just moved to our new site that are now operated independently:

However our new site is not just a collection of footprint images, it’s now a searchable database where you can use the new BeamFinder tool and get answers to questions like: "Which satellite beams can I receive at my location with my current equipment?", "How do I aim my satellite dish to receive a specific satellite beam?" and "What dish size do I need to receive a specific satellite beam?".

(We have pretty much covered the FTA-birds and will soon begin to make footprints for the US PayTV-birds from the FCC gtx-files)

Hey! Thanks SatStar!

That's a great opportunity and many people will appreciate your site and work. Certainly glad that you came to join us here at SatelliteGuys!

RADAR

Hi,

Thanks. Just checked it out. The beam Finder is very nice. I like it.:up

Hi,

THANKS A LOT!!!! nice to see those simple yet accurate maps back again!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts