Amazon Sets ‘The Lord of the Rings’ TV Series With Multi-Season Commitment

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Amazon Sets ‘The Lord of the Rings’ TV Series In Mega Deal With Multi-Season Commitment

$250 Million just for the rights to make something :eeek

The LOTR original series, a prequel to Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring, will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust; HarperCollins; and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment, which produced the hugely successful LOTR movie franchise.

Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring.

This could go either way. If done right it could be great. Several of the articles I read said that they (Amazon) are looking for their own Game of Thrones like epic show. This could be that, but I am somewhat concerned about the timeline. Hopefully it isn't a direct lead-in to the Hobbie/LOTR because we are already familiar with that story. Part of what has made GOT the epic success that it is, is that there is so much speculation about what is going to happen next. Once the show passed the books (since the final two books haven't been written/released) it added more fuel to the fire. There needs to be a great deal of speculation in order to drive the frenzy. In my opinion they also need to do a staggered release to drive the frenzy instead of dropping all episodes at once.

They'd be better off picking up after the books. That way they can use the characters that stayed behind, and do whatever they want without messing with canon, and books fans that get pissed when things are changed.

I thought all of the elves except for the Liv Tyler chick left? Agree that the hobbits are irrelevant. I could see something with the child or Aragorn, but the problem that you run into is that it would be a vastly different world. It would be the "time of men". So no magic, wizards, elves, etc. Seems boring.

"The Silmarillion" <--- This. So much of Middle Earth changes between the First and Second Ages that no one would be able to quibble about how "the Misty Mountains in ToTR: FotR don't look anything like the Misty Mountains" in the Amazon series. Lots of action, love interests, villains (Morgoth, a.k.a. Melkor, who corrupted first Sauron)... It could be even more Epic than "The Lord of the Rings".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts