Amazon Will Offer Original Programming in 4K

Thats going to be a transfer limit buster. On the current price of 4K TVs... am a few years away from owning one.
Am surprised though that Amazon is pushing this despite, what I assume is, low 4k ownership.

I have Fios 50 down 25 up nominal, just tested at 59/39. But no UHDTV in sight for me!

I can't help but wonder if this means down the road we'll see a Roku "4K" replacing the Roku 3 as the top end model. Or maybe an Amazon branded version.

I'll hop on boredmaybe when the prices on the sets drop to what a decent Hd set costs now...which means about 5 years from now lol. Look how long it took to get networks and stations to broadcast everything in HD, including the local news.
Maybe 4K will never take off, just like 3D didn't become mainstream.

4K has a much better chance of becoming mainstream than 3D ever did or ever will be. 3D is an added viewing option just like 5.1 or 7.1 audio over stereo. 4H or UHD TV could easily become the standard for all internet video programming and then downgraded depending on your receiving connection and playing device. The whole point for UHD is to have good sharp picture on large screen TV's.
Some day, the new top end will be 4K 3D with 11.2 sound for home theater using a 100" screen, possibly with OLED, glasses-free screen. Forward thinking media executives from Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung all say that's the goal.

I have Fios 50 down 25 up nominal, just tested at 59/39. But no UHDTV in sight for me!

I can't help but wonder if this means down the road we'll see a Roku "4K" replacing the Roku 3 as the top end model. Or maybe an Amazon branded version.

If you measured that from your PC then it's not relevant. You need to measure it from the device that you will be watching. I have 20Mbs to the router but only get ~18 Mbs at my WDTV Live box on the Vudu test.

Last edited:
I'll have to see if the Roku 2XS has such a test. Don't remember. But it is hard wired.

4K has a much better chance of becoming mainstream than 3D ever did or ever will be. 3D is an added viewing option just like 5.1 or 7.1 audio over stereo. 4H or UHD TV could easily become the standard for all internet video programming and then downgraded depending on your receiving connection and playing device. The whole point for UHD is to have good sharp picture on large screen TV's.
Some day, the new top end will be 4K 3D with 11.2 sound for home theater using a 100" screen, possibly with OLED, glasses-free screen. Forward thinking media executives from Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung all say that's the goal.

Wouldn't that be great?

Pass the roach.

Don I agree but it takes a long time for the general public to adopt anything new. I wonder how many folks still have SD sets in their homes that they still use?

I believe that the internet will serve the content first and will also serve the most content of 4K and beyond, at least when a new technology comes out. Its simply the quickest and cheapest way to bring it to the masses.

I believe that the internet will serve the content first and will also serve the most content of 4K and beyond, at least when a new technology comes out. Its simply the quickest and cheapest way to bring it to the masses.

You are correct but only in hindsight. Sony has been doing this with 4K movies now for almost 9 months.

If you measured that from your PC then it's not relevant. You need to measure it from the device that you will be watching. I have 20Mbs to the router but only get ~18 Mbs at my WDTV Live box on the Vudu test.

Need to point out that I discovered this rate recently. Last year my Comcast Business down was running 45Mbs and up was 9Mbs. Since then at some point in time my Down limit has been reduced to 20-21 Mbs. About 2 weeks ago I got a letter from Comcast inviting me to upgrade my service to 50Mbs and upload of 20 Mbs. I was rather surprised since I thought that was what I did have. Turns out, Comcast has downgraded my speed classification and now wants to charge me more money to upgrade to what it once was.

But the telling truth is, I really didn't know I was restricted to only 20Mbs down until I received that notice. My "needs" seem to be met even with Netflix 3D and SHD at the same time my wife is also surfing the internet. I had to ask myself, Do I really need 50Mbs? Is it worth the higher monthly fee? Obviously, until my 20 Mbs doesn't do the job, I'll just continue to pay for 20 Mbs. More importantly, is there a cap on total monthly usage? So far they say no, not on my Business class service. Caps apply to consumer service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)