AMC-16 Launch Update

rocatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
Here's a link to an update on the launch of the AMC-16 satellite to be used by Dish from the 85 W orbital location. There has not been a recent update for the launch of the AMC-15 satellite that will replace the existing satellite at 105 W. It was scheduled to be launched September 24th on a Russian Proton Launch Vehicle from Russia's Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan but a problem with the launch vehicle has caused a delay.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=15146

AMC-16 like AMC-15 has both Ku-band and Ka-band. The current satellites at 105 and 121 use Ku-band for the video channels from these locations. In regards to HDTV, AMC-16 would have the capacity for 72 to 96 channels with Ku-band but one would have to have a Superdish or Dish would need to come out with a standalone Ku-band dish that could be a little bit smaller than a Superdish. Perhaps we can call it a Superdish Slim. Certainly Dish could not develop a single dish to receive signal from the 85 W location and any other Dish satellite location similar to the 61.5 W location.

The Ka-band has been talked about as being used for broadband but I think that is either way out in the future or will not be implemented. In fact, the Dish satellite at 121 has Ka-band and could be used for broadband if Dish wanted but I don't think it is economically feasible. The Ka-band could be used for video but it is more susceptible to rain fade. In fact the Spaceway satellites that DirecTV will use for future HDTV will use Ka-band.

That is interesting. Why would Direct put their top line ,ie HDTV, channels on a transponder with higher rain fade issues? Is Ku not available or take more power?

Edit
Now I'm really confused. On a Superdish thread it was stated that Ku has the rain fade issues. :confused:

freemen said:
That is interesting. Why would Direct put their top line ,ie HDTV, channels on a transponder with higher rain fade issues? Is Ku not available or take more power?

Edit
Now I'm really confused. On a Superdish thread it was stated that Ku has the rain fade issues. :confused:

The Spaceway satellites were originally built for broadband using Ka-band but when it became apparent that broadband via satellite would not be economically feasible, DirecTV switched gears and decided to try to use them for HDTV. DBS band, Ku-band and Ka-band all have rain fade problems with Ka-band being the worst and DBS being the best. I believe there is also a power transmission factor involved as well. I don't know if there are additional Ku-band slots for DirecTV to use but the Spaceway satellites were already being built or built when the decision was made to try to use them for HDTV. It will be interesting how big a dish one will need to receive video via the Spaceway Ka-band.

Neighbor installing 3 Satellites?!?..

Did anyone notice???.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)