American Horror Story (FX) poor visual quality

tsummerall

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I watch AHS off my DVR and it really looks godawful. The dark areas are so noisy and macro-blocked I can barely watch it. Apparently this is not true for everyone on Dish Network, and other shows, even other FX shows, look great, so it doesn't seem to be something about my particular system.

Anyone have any ideas? My current theory is that either Dish gives FX low bandwidth during that time slot on the satellite I am connected to or that it's just a show with a lot of dark areas and the compression does poorly with dark areas.

I'm in coastal southeast USA.

Satellite 72 & 61.5. Signal strength on 72 is 52.

Several of the AHS's have looked bad, just like Walking Dead. They dont shoot them that way intentionally like TWD though, because I have downloaded a 1080p episode and it looks great. It's either Dish or FX is eating some compression.

I experienced the same thing with Fear the Walking Dead, but I wasn't sure whether it was intended. It was almost unwatchable, which was a shame because I enjoyed the story from a different perspective.

I've found FX to generally have poor picture quality during darker scenes then most other channels. I've noticed this on all of their shows, but primarily on The American's and American American Horror Story. Night scenes sometimes are nothing but shimmering pixels at times. I don't have Dish, but I have both DirecTV and TWC and the picture quality can be equally as bad. Brighter shows on FX like Tyrant and Fargo look fantastic most of the time though.

I have a 42" LG Smart tv from 2013, and Eastern arc setup with a VIP722k, HDMI cable directly to the tv and I don't have that bad of an issue with "dark scenes" on this channel. I do have the sets "dynamic contrast" (so-called "Energy Saving setting) turned OFF though, because IMO that exacerbates this problem with "muddy dark scenes."

The dark scenes will show more issues with compression for sure. Prob it. Dish has some part to play, but I do think FX may be part of the issue. Many times the premiums look real nice on original series, but some dark scenes in GoT's can be rough.

I recently started watching Season 2 of Black Sails on blu-ray, it just destroys the Satellite version (as expected).

I've found FX to generally have poor picture quality during darker scenes then most other channels. I've noticed this on all of their shows, but primarily on The American's and American American Horror Story. Night scenes sometimes are nothing but shimmering pixels at times. I don't have Dish, but I have both DirecTV and TWC and the picture quality can be equally as bad. Brighter shows on FX like Tyrant and Fargo look fantastic most of the time though.

I have a 42" LG Smart tv from 2013, and Eastern arc setup with a VIP722k, HDMI cable directly to the tv and I don't have that bad of an issue with "dark scenes" on this channel. I do have the sets "dynamic contrast" (so-called "Energy Saving setting) turned OFF though, because IMO that exacerbates this problem with "muddy dark scenes."

I think you are in a good range of display size for the current compression rates. My 40" Insignia doesnt show some of the issues as my 65".

Several of the AHS's have looked bad, just like Walking Dead. They dont shoot them that way intentionally like TWD though, because I have downloaded a 1080p episode and it looks great. It's either Dish or FX is eating some compression.

Not to start a war, but they are great on Directv so I would blame Dish.

I have seen high quality of TWD, and it isn't great. The graininess is on purpose, but it isn't a good show for a PQ example. I also saw high quality (blu-ray) of AHS Coven and the Freak Show, both were better than Directv and Dish feeds, but I would agree Dish is worse.

It would be nice if we'd move to HEVC and maybe they wouldn't have any issues, but I imagine the cost is high.

On the PQ on FX and some other channels on Dish (mostly own by Fox and Disney) looking bad is cause Dish could be upconverting the channels that only broadcast in 720p HD compare to 1080p. You can tell a difference if you look at the TV from a very close view.

Reactions: Stormy_2021

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)