AMIKO Amiko hd se, troubleshooting questions

egnard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Michigan UP
I have a problem I believe is the reciever but not I'm not sure. It will not move my SG6100 motor, I reset several times by pushing both switches on the motor, etc..., (It had been working for a couple years.) The motor is stuck at 3.3 east as shown on the motor display, the east green light on (no west light). The motor will also not move by using the buttons on the motor.

Additionally, when I try a blind scan no transponder results show up, even when I bypass the motor (I am doing locally with a short coax to bypass the wire from my house). I mean nothing, not even a transponder list.

It seems odd I would have a location display on the motor but it does not move using the buttons on the motor, nor using the reciever via remote. This, in addition to the blind scan results, leads me to conclude it's the reciever, and not not the motor.

Any other ways to check? Thanks.

Sounds more like the motor. It may have stopped halfway in-between two birds. Put a volt meter on a piece of coax coming out of the receiver and see if you have 18V on Horz. and 13V on Vert.
If so you can also make you a pseudo test rig with a couple of wires coming off the coax and see if you still have the same voltages while you have the motor and/or LNBF hooked up.
If you have no other receiver. You have have to remove the motor and put the dish on the pole by itself and see if you can grab a signal.

Sounds more like the motor. It may have stopped halfway in-between two birds. Put a volt meter on a piece of coax coming out of the receiver and see if you have 18V on Horz. and 13V on Vert.

I don't understand what you mean about putting a volt meter and testing Horz and Vert. I did put a volt meter on the coax jack on the back of the reciever and tried running it east/west and didn't seem to get a reading either way. But it could be I don't know how to run the meter, it's one of those auto-range deals.

At any rate, it seems you were right. I put the dish on a stationary pole and it's working.

Do they fix these motors anywhere or is it just one of those things a guy replaces and keeps the old on for parts? Maybe I'll just buy a couple more dishs. This setup doesn't seem to make sense for channel surfing. Although it would be easy just to stick another motor in.

If you are mechanically inclined and know electronics, you may be able to fix it; some people have fixed these motors.
Not sure about this specific one...
I would just look for a replacement. STAB makes and excellent motor. Here is one from eBay:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5337980106&mpre=http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAB-SATELLITE-DISH-MOTOR-FTA-ROTOR-HH90-DISEqC-ITALIAN-MOTORIZED-ROTOR-HH-90-/221972515927?hash=item33ae97cc57:g:4r4AAOSwNSxU~uzX

Yeah, 5 year warranty looks good. I have plenty of things to tinker with already. It took me a day just to figure this one out. Thanks.

When my SG2100 motor did that it was a relatively easy fix, the circuit board was soldered directly on top of the motor and the solder connections for the motor had broken loose. Resoldered the connections and it worked.

I don't know if the 6100 has the same setup, but it might be worth just popping the cover off to look.

When my SG2100 motor did that it was a relatively easy fix, the circuit board was soldered directly on top of the motor and the solder connections for the motor had broken loose. Resoldered the connections and it worked.

I don't know if the 6100 has the same setup, but it might be worth just popping the cover off to look.

I already opened it, noticed some tiny spiders and cobwebs near the switches but the inside looked dry. I'll give it a one more day of investigation. But days (and daylight) are short and snow is coming here in Michigan's UP. I just wanna' get it back online. If anybody wants to play with it, they can have it for the cost of shipping. I guess it's about 3 years old.

I ripped the whole thing apart. I noticed the motor would jerk as I released (not when I depressed) the manual switches so I took the gears apart too, to make sure nothing was froze up. Everything checked out including the limit switches (checking with volt/ohm meter). So I guess I'm stuck, but at this point thinking it's probably a circuit board.

I
I ripped the whole thing apart. I noticed the motor would jerk as I released (not when I depressed) the manual switches so I took the gears apart too, to make sure nothing was froze up. Everything checked out including the limit switches (checking with volt/ohm meter). So I guess I'm stuck, but at this point thinking it's probably a circuit board.

Yeah, probably. Or maybe something internal in the motor itself. Was the circuit board in your 6100 soldered directly to the motor, like my 2100 is?

I

Yeah, probably. Or maybe something internal in the motor itself. Was the circuit board in your 6100 soldered directly to the motor, like my 2100 is?

Yes, it is. After reading your comment I applied voltage to the terminals and the motor spins. I guess I could have done that before I disassembled the gears. (On the other hand nice to learn how something works.)

Reactions: . Raine
Yes, it is. After reading your comment I applied voltage to the terminals and the motor spins. I guess I could have done that before I disassembled the gears. (On the other hand nice to learn how something works.)

If the motor spins and the solder connections to it are good, I'd bet you're right about it being something on the board. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)