Amplifier

ESA1178

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA USA
Not sure what happened to my AP-8275 Pre-Amp.
All of a sudden I lost most of my locals, or the signal is very weak...
I am also using the Ps-1403 power supply...
Assuming it has died, is there a more recently released increased performance amp that some one can recommend?

Many thanks!

Mark

Not sure what happened to my AP-8275 Pre-Amp.
All of a sudden I lost most of my locals, or the signal is very weak...
I am also using the Ps-1403 power supply...
Assuming it has died, is there a more recently released increased performance amp that some one can recommend?

Many thanks!

Mark
If you need the 29dB VHF 28dB UHF gain a google search only showed Antenna Craft 10G-202as an alternative

Kitztech also makes a 36 dB KT-500 model, which I'm going to have an opportunity to try soon. It's not advertised on the website but you can inquire with them about it for more information.

- Trip

Thanks guys!
Has anyone installed a 40/50 telescopic mast/tower?
Wondering what would be the easiest model to install?
Would a tower be overkill for a standard TV antenna?

Mark

Kitztech also makes a 36 dB KT-500 model, which I'm going to have an opportunity to try soon. It's not advertised on the website but you can inquire with them about it for more information.

- Trip
Keep us informed trip, I would be interested in something like that.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks guys!
Has anyone installed a 40/50 telescopic mast/tower?
Wondering what would be the easiest model to install?
Would a tower be overkill for a standard TV antenna?

Mark
I installed a 4 section telescoping mast at my previous home. ALWAYS use 4 guy wires @90 degrees instead of the 3 @120. Use heavy duty multi-strand guy wire with turnbuckles for each wire at the 4 anchor points. O used anchors designed by my dad who is a welder, they bolt into the roofing truss at the f corners of the house and loop out over the edge of the roof and come up 3-4 inches with a large steel ring (1/4" steel made into a 3" diameter ring) on the end to wire the turnbuckles to.

Do this on a day when the wind is not blowing.

The first time you erect it do it with no antennas or other equipment attached and adjust the guy wires so the mast is true vertical.

I erected the 4 section mast (about 36ft) by myself by setting up the first (largest) mast and guying it to vertical with a step ladder tied to it to hold it upright until fully guyed, used a level to balance the guy wires - get that first section absolutely vertical.

After the first section is anchored (the other 3 are inside it run the guy wires from the second section (in down position to each anchor and put them through the anchor hole leaving enough slack that the second section can be lifted easily - the second section is quite stiff and will remain upright with no guy wires. After the second is locked on top of the first, you can tighten and adjust the guy wires to make it as vertical as possible - back the second section guy wire turnbuckles off, lift it and remove the key that holds it atop section 1 and drop it down. I do all my mast lifting and lowering from a top a step ladder tied to the first mast section.

Now we guy the 3rd and 4th sections, do them in separate steps just like we did the second section, except you lift the third section with guys attached and run to the anchors out of section 2, lock it with the key or bolt, then lift section 2 and lock it and tighten its turnbuckles to vertical, then balance the 3rd section to vertical with its guy wires.

Loosen section 2 and 3's guy wires and drop them down one at a time section 2 then section 3. Now we have guyed sections 1, 2 and 3, all we need to do is repeat the procedure for section 4, it is the most flexible section but remember the other 2 sections already have guy wires on them that will help you keep everything centered as they tighten on the mast sections equally as you pull them up helping to balance the whole apparatus, this is why we do it with no antennas the first time.

After all 4 sections are up and tightly guyed, we loosen the guys on sections 2-4, bring the sections down one at a time 2, 3 and 4 and we are ready to install whatever antenna/rotator combinations you want as long as t is not too heavy for you to lift it solo.

The key to doing this alone is to guy and align one section at a time from the bottom up, as long as the center of gravity of the tower and antennas do not move too far from the center of the tower base you are OK.

After I have attached my antenna, I use plastic electrical tape to attach the coax to the mast (probably lose some signal or change the resistance by doing that) starting with the top section when I raise it out of section 3, then section 3 as it is raised out of section 2 and so forth.

It was probably pretty dumb of me to do this alone, but I did it at least 3 or 4 times, several times at my parents house before I went to college and then again at my own home - as a matter of fact the only time my mast fell was when I was at work and the roofers tried to lower it not knowing what they were doing and bent it in half at the top of the second section and destroyed my huge Radio Shack antenna (the biggest one they made in the 1980's) - well, they took $150 off their bill for that and I need to shut up and warn you not to try this yourself.

Get at least two other guys to help you 4 is best and much faster. By my self it took 3-4 hours to do this (its been at least 20 years), with a crew of 5 you can to is in probably 45 minutes to an hour.

I can't believe I lowered and raised a 4 section mast with the antenna in my avatar alone, more than once, back when I was in my early 20's, that thing was quite heavy with a rotator attached that made the weight just a little bit off center, not to mention the antenna itself was front heavy.

If you buy a mast get a heavy gauge one, shop around (if you can even find one anywhere - you may have to shop around on the web and ask questions about the thickness of the tubing and how they are connected together. The ones I have had have a U shaped notch in the bottom on both sides that drops over a key that slides through the top of the section below to lock it from turning and also have a 1/4" hole about 2-3 inches above that notch so you can put the key through at an exact spot (very hard to hit if you 're doing it solo.

A tower is not necessarily overkill, 1) if you can afford it and 2) if you need to go higher than a guyed mast is practical. Towers are more stable, especially if anchored in concrete and guyed, you can just climb them and work on things without dropping everything to the ground - but they ARE expensive.

Last edited:
I lost most OTA channels recently and assumed my Amp was shot.. so bypassed it and installed
a Philmore DA28 Amp...Now I don't get one single OTA channel...
Calling DISH today to dump them. I dont watch any of the channels....
A combination of ROKU news and OTA.....
Did I choose the wrong equipment?

Mark

Replaced the old preamp with the RCATVPRAMP1R.
Got some of the channels back, but not all...
Current antenna in 95831 zipcode: Antennas Direct DB4
Can't seem to connect to TVFOOL website...

Maniac

Last edited:
Why do you think you need a 40-50 FT mast and a pre amplifier? TVfool shows you have in the area of 30 LOS broadcasters 50 miles or less. The DB4 is a UHF antenna and you have Low & High VHF channels available if you want them? An antenna rotator maybe of more use to you than a tall mast. I used 95831 zip code on tvfool.com and it worked for me.

Hi Boba, thanks for the info...
TVFOOL was off line when I tried earlier...
Do I have the roght antenna then ?
I currently have a 10 foot mast, do you think I should go to 20' at least?
Any thoughts as to the rotator model?

Mark

Rotator? Do you use more than one television at a time. IF so put up multiple antennas combined together and split to all TV's.
If only one television than a rotator. http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.asp?mc=03&d=over-the-air-tv-antennas-supplies&c=Antenna Rotators
VHF hi and UHF antennas would be something like this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-Antenna-(HBU33)&c=TV Antennas&sku=1607900500
If you can live without your VHF maybe just the rotator on your existing antenna?? (would think it would get the hi vhf channel -9)
But I would just aim to the south for most at only 15 miles. Also shouldn't need an amp. Try that, without amp once, to see 'how it goes'. (bypass amp and power inserter)

Thanks Fat Air...
Rabbit ears on the others...
Roof Antenna and ROKU on the main...
Do I have the right antenna for this setup?
Whats your thoughts on the height?
How about Antennacraft by RadioShack TDP2 TV/FM TV Antenna Rotator (TDP-2) ?

Mark

Last edited:
Using TVfool you can put in height above ground and 10' to 30' made little difference in your reception. I had to go with the generic zip code location you can put in your exact address and possibly get more accurate information.

If you can use rabbit ears you definitely don't need an amplifier. Don't over design your system too much signal can be as bad as too little signal. Your DB4 may be all that you need. You have to decide what stations you want to receive, most of them are UHF so your DB4 is great, some 4 bay bowties do a decent job of receiving high VHF (ch.7-13) so try what you have as Fat Air suggested aimed to the south. You need a cable from the antenna directly to the TV no amplifier components in the line.
For a small antenna UHF/VHF I would suggest a Winegard HD1080 on ebay or a google search starting at $25. Solid Signal is a good source. I am using one at 68 miles to pick up Dallas and I get all the main signals around 60 channels

Last edited:
OK..

Last stupid question then I am putting this thread to bed:

Should I be going with a boom antenna rather a compact?
I live in a Valley 80nm NE of the San Francisco Bay area.....
I get San Francisco channels on occasion and would like to have an antenna that
brings them in more often....

Mark

Last edited:
80nm, as in 'nautical miles'? That's like 90+ regular miles. I'd use a yagi. A long one. Problem is you may also need an amp. And that may be overloaded by stations closer to your location. But with a yagi you may place a null towards your locals and still get enough gain to the SW. about all you can do is try it, with and without an amp.

Sorry, pilot error...
Used to calculating nautical miles..
80 road miles...

What do you think of the HDTV 80 Mile Deep Fringe Yagi Television Antenna?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for all your help...
After getting rid of DISH I ran a DISH cable from the Antenna to the TV without interruption or splitters.
I now receive 68/68 channels including San Francisco!
I have to assume the quality of the cable is a contributor....
Can anyone recommend a decent DVR for OTA?

Thanks again...

Mark

Thanks a bunch for all your help...
After getting rid of DISH I ran a DISH cable from the Antenna to the TV without interruption or splitters.
I now receive 68/68 channels including San Francisco!
I have to assume the quality of the cable is a contributor....
Can anyone recommend a decent DVR for OTA?

Thanks again...

Mark
Your Welcome

Search this forum there have been many threads about DVR's for OTA and it mostly comes down to how much you want to spend and how convient an operating system you want. Channel Master(made by DISH) and Tivo will probably be on top.

How is your system configured now?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts