An Dishnet installer funny

straggleweed

Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
I work for a small company here in our town and we are dish net and directtv retailers and we install all of our own equipment we also do all kinds of home stereo and security work...
Last week we had sold a guy a new samsung 61" dlp 1080p and a surround sound and some other equipment so we were set up to go out there and install everything. He wasnt out original customer so we couldnt not do the HD upgrade for him for free, so he set up dishnet to send one of there installers out and do the upgrade while we were here so everything would go smooth. We had a long day a head of us due to the fact that the room we were working in was the bottom floor of a two story so it took us all day to run the wires and complete the job in that room...
The dish installer was there on time at 8 that morning, he said he was the best one in his area. by the time we left for lunch he had swapped out the dish 500 for a dish 1000, took him 4 hours to do a 10 minute swap maybe, when we get back from lunch he hadnt taken a lunch cause he wanted to get done. he was getting ready to take the 211 inside and get to work on it.
The customer was adding the 211 to there existing 311 and 625 so there had to be a switch involved. he took his DP34 and hooked everything up and put a seperator on the 625, we told that he cant use a seperator with a dp34, but he said he does it all the time so we let him figure it out on his own. An hour later after all the switches were good except the 625 he decided it was the reciever that was bad and once again we said no you cant use a seperator with that switch but he did was he was gonna do.
he called and got the programming on for the 211 and was getting ready to leave and he called the own because he had left and the owner asked to talk to me to make sure he had done everything and i told him no that the dvr wasnt working yet so he went in there to work on it... we told the installer that there are 3 ways to make it work he could use a dp44, run a new wire in a wall that was impossible to get to, or put up a second dish... and he said that he does it this way all the time... then he went outside and got on the phone and came back in and said that he could diplex it and it would work or something wierd like that.. so he fumbled around for a while and came in there and said that someone was gonna bring him a dp44 and they were an hour away.. soo he went and got in his van and went to sleep at the customers house, it didnt seem to professional. then the person with the 44 switch showed up and everyting was finished and complete.

In the end it took him 9.5 hours to do a 1 hour job, but the kicker is that he said well its good that it takes him so long cause it was his over time day so he got paid more. This guy was a sorry ecuse for a worker of any kind and if it was me i would never let him anywhere near my own house, but the sad thing is that the customers dont know this and they think he is a "professional". On the way home my boss and I got a good laugh out of him and how pathetic he was, since he said he was the best id hate to see the other "professionals"

Yeah this is why its always good to ask around about installers or resellers in your area ahead of time. :)

That is sorta disturbing. Wonder how many dual-tuners he has hooked-up with just one line coming in from a DP34 switch, or a DP Twin, or a DP Quad??

Even when you have more than 2 receivers and you have to use a DP Plus 44 switch, it doesn't take too long doing it. Of course a lot depends on how accessible the existing dish is. Nothing makes me cringe more than rolling-up on a job and see the existing dish on the very top of a steep roof or at the top of the chimmney.

And sometimes it seems to take longer for the 622 to download than it does to change out the dish.

But even if knew what he was doing, he was screwed by showing up with only a DP 34 switch.

rich88 said:
That is sorta disturbing. Wonder how many dual-tuners he has hooked-up with just one line coming in from a DP34 switch, or a DP Twin, or a DP Quad??

Even when you have more than 2 receivers and you have to use a DP Plus 44 switch, it doesn't take too long doing it. Of course a lot depends on how accessible the existing dish is. Nothing makes me cringe more than rolling-up on a job and see the existing dish on the very top of a steep roof or at the top of the chimmney.

And sometimes it seems to take longer for the 622 to download than it does to change out the dish.

But even if knew what he was doing, he was screwed by showing up with only a DP 34 switch.

The other day I had a simple 1000 upgrade w/ a 622 customer had a superdish and had a dish 300 pointed at 61.5 that wasn't hooked up. All I had to do was install the 44 and put a Dishpro dual in the 61.5 dish.

Simple install, eh? I thought I was in war with yellow jackets, it was like I was running on the ground with a jet fighter shooting bullets at me and you see me dancing on the ground to avoid being shot. I'd try to mess with the 34 on the roof, yellow jackets coming at my head......

It was pathetic, right around 3 hours to do that job, I used every can of wasp killer on the van all it did was buy me about 2 minutes of time before they came back. I finally hard to start scavenging miscellanous sprays such as wd40. All in all it sucked.

I should have been done in about 1.5 hours from start to clean up to cust. ed. I suppose you win some and loose some. :D

Side note: your right the 622 activating.... ehk

Last edited:
birddoggy said:
sad really... gives real installers a bad name, and makes people think anyone can be called an "installer"

Here's a thought for you...

In Iowa you need no licensing to be an electrician, at all. I met up with a contractor out in the middle of nowhere Iowa sold him some equipment, I look at one of the jobs I'm sitting there staring at a circuit panel mounted upside down? :confused:

rcdallas said:
The other day I had a simple 1000 upgrade w/ a 622 customer had a superdish and had a dish 300 pointed at 61.5 that wasn't hooked up. All I had to do was install the 44 and put a Dishpro dual in the 61.5 dish.

Simple install, eh? I thought I was in war with yellow jackets, it was like I was running on the ground with a jet fighter shooting bullets at me and you see me dancing on the ground to avoid being shot. I'd try to mess with the 34 on the roof, yellow jackets coming at my head......

It was pathetic, right around 3 hours to do that job, I used every can of wasp killer on the van all it did was buy me about 2 minutes of time before they came back. I finally hard to start scavenging miscellanous sprays such as wd40. All in all it sucked.

I should have been done in about 1.5 hours from start to clean up to cust. ed. I suppose you win some and loose some. :D

Side note: your right the 622 activating.... ehk

I think I would have apologized to the customer but told him I was going to have to leave due to unsafe working conditions and would come back after he got rid of them. I believe the FSMs at my shop would have backed that up.

Very true... I did learn something from it. When I did my 1000+ upgrade the other day I just flat out told the customer I am not removing the old dish off due to the bee nest, notated it on the service agreement. Customer agreed right along with me.

i've also had my share of hornets nests...and those stupid red wasps... i dont like those at all
last year I tried buyin the spray stuff in bulk but was told that I needed to be an exterminator to buy it... o well

Any More HD Locals Coming And When...?

PSIP and PBS - email I sent to Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)