An idea for HD RSNs

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
Since we always hear that Dish can't offer HD RSNs 24/7 because of bandwidth issues (If that's really the case), I've come up with an idea (not sure if it's a good one) to move the HD RSNs around to places where there should be plenty of bandwidth to share.

First off, for the western arc, if Echostar 7 is still at 119 (I know Echostar 14 replaced it) why not still use it, if there are no problems with that bird? If Echostar 7 is still at 119 and it's completely emptied out, then just move the HD RSNs from 129 to 119 using Echo 7. There should be more than enough bandwidth on Echo 7 to provide HD RSNs 24/7 for WA subs, if it's completely empty.

Now for the eastern arc. I know that a recent uplink report showed that DISH is moving the HD RSNs to 72.7, along with the rest of the HD channels, which I think that's a mistake. I think what DISH should be doing is keeping the HD RSNs at 61.5, but move all the other HD channels to 72.7 as planned. Once all other HD channels are moved to 72.7 as planned, there should be plenty of bandwidth on the 61.5 CONUS beam to have HD RSNs 24/7 for EA subs.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on the whole issue. Who knows? If there are any DISH execs out there reading this thread, maybe, just maybe, they'll take my advice.:)

here a idea
no need Rsn in SD anymore just make them all 24/7 RSN HD and have rsn sd part time
the way i see it 85% of subs have a HDTV so time to upgrade ur Receivers to VIP series
i think this the best option they got and would make all happy !!

First off, for the western arc, if Echostar 7 is still at 119 (I know Echostar 14 replaced it) why not still use it, if there are no problems with that bird? If Echostar 7 is still at 119 and it's completely emptied out, then just move the HD RSNs from 129 to 119 using Echo 7. There should be more than enough bandwidth on Echo 7 to provide HD RSNs 24/7 for WA subs, if it's completely empty.

it doesnt work that way. DBS sats have a specific set of frequencies they can use. They can use 32 transponders at a spot. Dish owns 21 transponders on 119 (Directv has 11). Dish is using all 21 TP's right now. Now as to why they can have a 118.7 & 119 pretty much at the same spot is 118.7 is using a different set of frequencies than the 119 does.
118.7 is linear and uses 11700-12200 whereas 119 is 12200-12700.

You can have 20 satellites at an orbital slot and use all 20...as long as the transponders dont duplicate. An example was 148W when Dish had it. They had 2 sats there
Echo 1 had the odd number TP's...Echo2 had the evens
Dish and Directv have satellites at 110 & 119 & 72.5 (well D* is 72.5, dish is 72.7) but they have their specific frequencies they can transmit on

Hmmm. . . I see. Oh well.:( But my idea for Eastern arc subs could still work once all other HD is moved to 72.7. If DISH were to keep HD RSNs at 61.5 (which unfortunate they're not), there should be enough transponders to cover all the bandwidth that those channels would need. As for Western Arc Subs, well I don't Know. Maybe they could move some of them to 110 or 119, but those satellites are most likely full at this point. DISH could move some of them to 118.7 but then those subs would have to upgrade to a 1000+ which could be a hassle and expensive for DISH. Now I'm just getting a headache.:facepalm

Part of the flaw of any of our ideas that have been offered is that we really don't know what Dish's long-term plans are for all the satellite slots it owns or leases, although we can sometimes glean some theories of where Dish is going with its use of constellations from FCC documents, but not really what Charlie and his engineers really have up their sleeve.

In other words, Dish is doing these things with a specific plan in mind-even if that plan is the plan B--that many of us can't quite figure out. Dish has always been secretive about why it does what it does, and this channel shuffle among the birds, especially a change from what we believe was the original plan, none of us can really say for certain. I thing is certain is that I personally believe Dish is doing this because it is the best plan that will have the best results--always influenced by immediate demands or problems--once the other pieces are put into place. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out and who's prediction is correct.

The plans Dish has for channels are to implement one thing and one thing only: make more money for Charlie. The interests of the subscribers only figure in to the extent that satisfying them makes more money for Charlie. Otherwise, we mean nothing. That goes for all American companies, not just Dish. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dish become an offshore company soon, so it doesn't have to pay any US taxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)