Analog cutoff & Dish Receivers

cah1975

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I am still using the receiver that I was given by Dish over five years ago - a Dish Pro 301. Will this particular receiver be sufficient for when everything goes digital. Pardon my lack of knowledge on this topic, I just wasn't sure if I had to have a particular kind of receiver to watch tv on my analog tv in 2009. Thanks for the help!

I am still using the receiver that I was given by Dish over five years ago - a Dish Pro 301. Will this particular receiver be sufficient for when everything goes digital. Pardon my lack of knowledge on this topic, I just wasn't sure if I had to have a particular kind of receiver to watch tv on my analog tv in 2009. Thanks for the help!

The cutoff will have no effect on your reception of satellite channels. I can't remember if the 301 has an NTSC tuner. If it does and you have an antenna hooked up to it and are currently receiving OTA programming - the ability to use that tuner will go away 02/09. Check out the thread below...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/111848-every-answer-analog-cutoff-feb-2009-a.html

The 301 only allows for the external antenna to pass through, it does not have a tuner. Analog shut off will not affect any Dish provided channels on the 301. Only thing you may lose is it you have analog via antenna and have it hooked to your tv via the pass through the 301 to your existing tv.

Is there someone new out there spouting doom and gloom.. I have been getting a lot of calls lately asking about this. For some reason people all think they are going to loose their satellite picture.. Are the TV sellers advertising trying to get people to buy more TV's?

The 301 only allows for the external antenna to pass through, it does not have a tuner. Analog shut off will not affect any Dish provided channels on the 301. Only thing you may lose is it you have analog via antenna and have it hooked to your tv via the pass through the 301 to your existing tv.
When the 301 is turned off, it becomes passive. Any RF frequency, Analog, digital, AM, or FM passes though the reciver with some acceptable loss. DBS Satellite signal is digital, thus compliant with the fcc mandate. Any locals, or any other signal that is recived via dish or direct subscription is a digital broadcast.

your 301 will be just fine, as well as the tv its hooked up to. if you happen to have a 25 year old montgomery ward brand tv(i had a cust upset cause her dish remote wouldnt work with it today so this model sticks in my head) and it is currently working with your 301 now, it will be working with your 301 come feb/2008. check out the thread Every answer to Analog cutoff Feb/2009 . i posted it in hopes it would clear up a lot of myths, but it has so much info people tend to misunderstand. dtv.gov is where i got the info for that thread, it has a quiz on it you can take after reading the info on the page. you will either learn that you know the answers, or any questions you get wrong you will be educated on. the website was a great help for me.

Yes you will be fine and I know people that have Dish receivers that are older than your 301.

Also :welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!!!!!!!!!

DISH advertises on World Series - the irony?

DVR upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts