Status
Please reply by conversation.

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
I have been bitten by the analog bug... :) I recently got a Toshiba TRX-80 analog receiver and will soon be getting a remote that should work for it (thanks Davage). It's currently only set to C band, and I only have a Ku band dish, but I've played around with it some and made some interesting observations. I have the Toshiba slaved to my Pansat's IF Loop Out port. I'm using the Pansat to move the dish and select the appropriate polarization.

Since analog reception is a lot more forgiving with a weak signal or improper tuning, a lot can be learned by playing with it. For instance, a receiver (analog or digital) can technically receive something from Ku band when it thinks it's receiving something from C band. LyngSat shows a couple Ku band analog test cards, one at 85°W (12175 H, tp 24) and one at 121°W (12045 V, tp 23).

My analog receiver was able to partially tune in the 85°W card by tuning to channel 1 (3720 H, tp 1). The intermediate frequency for 3720 is 1430 (5150-3720). Adding that IF to my Ku band LNB's local osciallator frequency of 10750, I get 12180... high by 5 MHz. The audio came in ok, but the video was somewhat scrambled looking like analog cable premium channels used to be. I assume it was from missing one of the sync signals (horizontal or vertical) since it was a matter of the scanlines not being correctly aligned horizontally and the colors were off. But it did have enough of the signal to sync with the frames since the picture was stable vertically.

The 121°W card was the same situation. The analog receiver found it at channel 8 (3860 V, tp 8). The IF is 5150-3860=1290, which becomes 10750+1290=12040 on Ku band, low by 5 MHz.

Soon I might get a C band LNB to put on my motorized 100cm dish to see what analog stuff I can get. I know it will look like crap without enough gain, but I should see at least something, whereas with DVB I highly doubt I'll have enough signal for a lock. :)

Analog C-Band is about as forgiving as you can get. I used to have my 7.5ft dish laying on the ground and it would keep a decent signal even when the wind would blow in the wintertime and rock the dish back-and-forth. When installing a C-Band dish, I try to use an analog channel to "get my bearings" on the location (it's nice because there's no programming, just put it on a known transponder and watch for a signal).

uh oh , i can tell already your gonna need a big dish lol :)
enjoy it and analog is fun to watchthe channels pop in plus all the other things that show up.
i will have to try the ku side.

tux
you hit the nail on the head with the observations. C-Band counts down from 4200 mhz and KU goes up from 11700...so even though it says C-band it is picking up KU.

I had a switch whack out and did the opposite. Logged C-Band channels as KU :)

Also that test card on 85W is real snowy normally...unless you have a 10 meter dish maybe then the snow goes away :D

Also that test card on 85W is real snowy normally...unless you have a 10 meter dish maybe then the snow goes away

While it is a weak signal, it is possible to tune it in without snow at all on a 7.5 foot dish.

I tuned it in on the DSR-920 by finding the best signal East/West, then fine adjusting the skew, then adjusting the frequency by a few Mhzs. It comes in clear as a bell for me. Course that was after fine tuning the dish endlessly for a couple of weeks. :D

I have always had trouble on that TP until I learned how to adjust the frequency.

Fred

I'm in Eastern Ontario and I get the Test Card with just a bit of snow, not too too much.. I have a 31" dish for this. How ever the DVB version is of poor quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts