"Analog Type" in HDTV setup???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cinnabun93

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
United States
Hi! I have a Sony Bravia 46 inch 1080p tv and on the HDTV setup it says

offair for analog type, resolution is 1080i even though my tv is capable of 1080p, and 16x9 for the aspect ratio. What should I change my settings to? I am specifically confused with what I should set the analog type to or if offair is the best setting. Thanks!

AFAIK, 1080p is only supported by hdmi from a Blu-ray player or some PPV channels on Dish. For most Dish channels and any ota 1080i is the standard and 16x9 for hdtv.

There is no more analog (NTSC) for offair, with very few exceptions. Almost all OTA is digital (ATSC) now. Technically, there are some forms of 1080p that could be sent OTA via the ATSC standards, but I don't know that such transmissions ever occurred. Below is the table for OTA ATSC standards. Note that satellite, cable and optical media such as Blu-ray can produce higher PQ, such as 1080 60p.

ATSC Table 3 Formats for DTV Transmission

Vert----------horz---------aspect----------fps/scan
1080---------1920----------16:9--------24p, 30p, 30i
720-----------1280----------16:9--------24p, 30p, 60p
480------------704----------16:9--------24p, 30p, 30i, 60p
480------------704-----------4:3---------24p, 30p, 30i, 60p
480------------640-----------4:3---------24p, 30p, 30i, 60p

Your display can take any of these signals and convert them to it's native format, which sounds like 1080 60p.

If you aren't connected to an offair antenna, that setting won't matter in your TV. You might want to ensure your Dish receiver is set to output 1080.

Thanks guys, you answered most of my questions. The only thing I want to know is if I should change offair to cable HRC or IRC? We have a Dish Hd reciever, satellite, and it is setup to the reciever via HDMI?

to answer your actual question that setting is basically from when dish used to have an analog tuner in the receivers. The ONLY setting that will currently work is "off air". Selecting either of the cable settings will cause you to not be able to receive your local OTA channels.

Thank you very much n0qcu! This is my first post and is there a way to give best answer or something because you told me what I needed to know and I appreciate it.

The following has nothing to do with your Dish Network channels that arrive by DBS:

First, I am not aware of any SD Dish boxes EVER having analog demods; the old SD boxes did have ANALOG PASS-THROUGH allowing you to use your TV and its tuner to watch local channels in the days before the digital transition, especially when DBS was forbidden to provide local channels, except for the 5 Superstations via satellite.

Actually, the off-air Anaolog in the HDTV Setup menu refers to the built-in (or added module for the "K" series and 922) OTA/analog tuner and which analog band you wish to receive your local OTA or Cable channels, as digital OTA is still broadcast using ANALOG RF (just like Dish Network and DirecTV); it is the data being transmitted on this ANALOG radio frequency that is "digital" or HD and the same for "digital" cable.

1.Offair: means the tuner will demod the OTA band of frequencies to provide your local broadcasters digital and HD channels when connected to an antenna.

2.HRC or IRC: refer to different analog bands used by Cable TV systems. This feature was desinged to allow Dish subscribers to receive there local digital and local HD channels via a cable subscription to the NON-encrypted (open) bands that many cable TV systems still put the local OTA digital channels and viewing them through the Dish box.

While #1 is very popular with power users and works very well, #2 seems to not be active, nor am I sure it was ever active. #2 was designed in the early days of digital OTA when DBS offered ZERO local OTA digital via satellite. It was designed to get you locals so that you wouldn't feel the need to drop DBS and go back to cable.

However, that was YEARS ago, and today DBS offers all the most popular local OTA digital channels (major nets and a few more), so the use for #2 is somewhat anachronistic now that we can get those channels via satellite and certainly NOT involve the cable company providing any level of service to compete with Dish.

So, in summary, #1 can be of good use to you if you are interested in receiving MORE OTA digitals than what Dish offers on satellite, including all the multi-plex channels such as Universal Sports, This TV, ME TV, Antenna TV, Living Well in HD, etc., which are currently NOT available via satellite. #2 is pretty much useless these days, so you can forget about it.

Last edited:
I think the OP is asking how to setup his TV not his DISH receiver. But I am often wrong.

I think the OP is asking how to setup his TV not his DISH receiver. But I am often wrong.

He wanted to know which options to select on the Dish box. Then asked another question regarding the Cable bands that indicated confusion and some degree of consternation, and I think it required a fair explanation as to what those options mean and how useful or useless they are so that he can rest assured he as a good idea what to choose and why and if it is even anything for him to be concerned about.

I appreciate your attempt at clarification. It never hurts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)