Status
Not open for further replies.

John Corn

The Coach / Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
North Canton, Ohio.
Maybe not in your area but here in Ohio, me and several friends have been receiving telephone calls trying to sell Dish satellite service. I've got calls at my home and work and have asked politely (at first) to have my numbers removed off their call list. This has not worked as I am still getting calls. It is a computer recorded message so you can't simply hang up and have access to your line until they are through. The guy says his name is "Rick" and their number is 1 800 480-9805. I don't think we can do anything to stop them legally until after October 1 when No Call goes into effect.

Guess that's one benefit of dial up, the phone line is always busy when they try to call. But thanks to Indiana's no call list, even when I had to send my computer away to be fixed, I didn't get any sales calls.

I've got caller id so I don't answer. Still the phone rings all the time.

Last month I got Privacy Manager from the phone company (I get a lot of calls where the phone rings and you answer and no ones there or someone says hello 10 seconds after you pick up the phone.

Caller ID allways picks up these calls as unavailable, or out of area.

With Privacy manager when a number is blocked, unavailable or out of area the caller is supposed to identify themselfs or enter their phone number in which gets sent to the caller id.

Well I must say privacy manager sucked, all those calls I got continued to come in, it seems as though those computers can trick privacy manager by entering in 111-111-1111 when asked for their phone number.

Needless to say I canceled privacy manager and am saving $5 a month on my bill.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Last month I got Privacy Manager from the phone company (I get a lot of calls where the phone rings and you answer and no ones there or someone says hello 10 seconds after you pick up the phone.

Caller ID allways picks up these calls as unavailable, or out of area.

With Privacy manager when a number is blocked, unavailable or out of area the caller is supposed to identify themselfs or enter their phone number in which gets sent to the caller id.

Well I must say privacy manager sucked, all those calls I got continued to come in, it seems as though those computers can trick privacy manager by entering in 111-111-1111 when asked for their phone number.

Needless to say I canceled privacy manager and am saving $5 a month on my bill.

Well Scott, evidently your PM must work different from the PM I have from SBC/Ameritech. I've had it for several months & it's worth EVERY penny. ($4 in IL) I think the problem is, YOUR PM allows the caller to enter in a phone# - SBC's ONLY allows the caller to speak their name - after which PM calls my house & will ONLY put up "privacy manager" in the Caller ID display. If a caller insists on leaving his name for PM to play back to me, all I have to do is press 3, then hang up. This plays a "sales refusal" message to the caller & then hangs up on him.

The only problem now, is that some telemarketers ARE sending a legit name/number to caller ID, which of course the PM will NOT block - guess they figured they HAD to do this to work around everyone getting PM. :evil: :rolleyes:

Dish network Phone calls

they have never called my house and better not im a pround directv Sub

:p

Re: Dish network Phone calls

pez2002 said:
they have never called my house and better not im a pround directv Sub :p
When dish calls i tell them i work for DirecTV, when DirecTV calls i tell them i work for Dish. It also works well with phone companies. :D

I have been getting calls from reps from Direct about getting their products and services. I just let the phone ring and let my voice mail box from Sprint handle it. If they leave a message, I just delete it and forget it.

I also have my number on the do not call list so hopefully this will keep them from call me in the future.

Reactions: osu1991
Annoying Satellite Marketing?

I don't know if this is the same thing but it is similar: I had a call from SBC/SNET (Connecticut) on Friday morning asking if my family was interested in getting SBC/Yahoo! internet service. The number on the Caller ID showed a New Haven, CT phone number (New Haven is SBC/SNET's Connecticut headquarters). It was mostly a recorded message and I hung up before any person actually came on the line.

"(I get a lot of calls where the phone rings and you answer and no ones there or someone says hello 10 seconds after you pick up the phone. "

This is from auto dialers. They call more people than they have sales reps available, so they line is dead. unless a salesman answers 10 seconds later.

Reactions: ralfyguy
you all have to add the SIT tones to your answering machine.

Check out this webpage for other hints

http://www.junkbusters.com/

National Do Not Call Registry

National Do Not Call Registry works great!

http://www.donotcall.gov/

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
Most telemarketers cannot call your telephone number if it is in the National Do Not Call Registry. You can register your home and mobile phone numbers for free. Your registration will be effective for five years.

I had someone call saying that they were Dish Network and asking for my father. I asked them what they wanted and they again asked for my father or if I was him. He said "thank you for answering my question" in a smart tone, not telling me what he wanted and when I went to get my he hung up before he could answer the phone.

Has anyone else been getting anyone representing themselves as Dish Network that is telemarketing? I heard that Dish Network does telemarketing themselves but figure they would not call people that already have the service. I have had other people before trying to sell me satellite systems on the phone although its been a while. Since I had the internet on I did not get the caller id information.

Reactions: frank c.
They called back the same day and it was a company called Dish Direct and I believe they called from Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts