Another 129 question . . . .

floridastatenolefan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Florida
A while back I posted about not being able to get 129. I have HD Service, an HD receiver and an HD Dish. I was running through an old switch. After getting advice here I removed the switch. It's now running through a grounding block directly to the receiver. I was only getting 119 and 110 (some HD channels on those). The signal strength was only about 52 percent or so. It was pointed out that I was using settings from the receiver based on a 500 dish and that I should use the on-line dish locater site. I did. That lowered elevation slightly and made a few other slight changes (skew, etc.). My signal strength went up to 75% on 119 and 110, but still no 129. I tried tweaking all the adjustments, but never better than 75% and never got 129. My dish is mounted about 7 or 8 feet off the ground and shooting over some tall pines. The pines are about 100 to 150 yards to the SW. Is it possible that 129 is lower in the sky and being blocked by the those tree tops? I'm thinking about going up another 6 or 8 feet on the dish to see if that helps. Advice appreciated. (Don't know what it means but I was getting some 129 signal - on the wrong satellites I think - prior to changing the elevation and other settings. I now get none.) Thanks

Unfortunately my eastern sky has even more and taller trees that are much closer. So, no. Is the angle for 129 similar to some of the DirectTV internet satellites? The reason I ask is that years ago I had DirectTV at this same house with the internet service through the dish with tv. The installer placed the dish in the same location I'm using now, but like 12 or 15 feet off the ground. In retrospect maybe he was shooting over the top of the same trees . . . ? One more question, assuming I can't get the height that I need to lock into 129, another option may be to run the satellite dish through the trees until I hit the opening and clear sky, probably 150 to 200 yards. Will the signal make it that far without loss?

Run check switch and post the order of the satellites. 119 should be first followed by 110 then 129. if the order is different your dish is misaligned. if 119 is first you more then likely have a obstruction blocking 129.

150-200 YARDS is too long. I have a run at 400 FEET and that is really pushing it. dish claims 200' max.

Highest satellite elevation will be directly south of you. So as you go further west, the satellite elevation will decrease. If you have a smartphone you can use the Dishpointer App. It will show the satellites overlaid on the camera picture background. If the trees are interfering, you will see where and how much.

Yes pull out a smart phone with a GPS app and look at around 250 degree's and an elevation of around 23-25 degrees that is where 129 is located. Now this is rough based on where it is cause I'm not sure of how it is exactly in relation to florida. Now you say you have high tree's in that direction so it is very very likely you have them blocking 129 as it is 10 degrees to the right and about 7-8 degree's lower in elevation from 119.

Is there one app that you recommend over others? I have an Apple 5s. It looks like there are several in the app store: DishPointer Augmented is $9.99; Dispointer AR Pro is $19.00; Sat Dish Pointer is $2.99; Satellite Transponder is free; Satellite Director is free, etc. Thanks

Is there one app that you recommend over others? I have an Apple 5s. It looks like there are several in the app store: DishPointer Augmented is $9.99; Dispointer AR Pro is $19.00; Sat Dish Pointer is $2.99; Satellite Transponder is free; Satellite Director is free, etc. Thanks

I use Dishpointer and it works ok. Only reason I have it is that it used to have a link on Satelliteguys. If they have web sites, look to see if they have screen shots of what your phone would see. Some of them only give the numerical data and that will not do the job for you. I'd pick the cheapest one that has the photo overlay.

Did you run a checkswitch and verify the lnb? Should be a triple DPP 1k2 western arc. If you are still using a DPP Twin (500), then you won't be able to get 129 regardless. How many rcvrs do you have and what switch did you have previously? A 34 or 44 switch?

Previously I had a non-hd dish with two non hd receivers. I now have a three lnb hd turbo dish and a single hd receiver. I'm not sure what the switch number was, but it's not running through it now since the dish has an internal switch. I have ran the checkswitch and verified the lnb no receiving. If I remember correctly it was three on the screen.

New remote, fresh batteries, no connection

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)