another checkswitch question

focalf5

Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I just have another newbie tech question. Got done early today and went on a TC pull ahead this evening, it was a repeat TC from a tech who went out there last saturday. All he did was change the ground block and connectors at the ground block and it worked when he left. Anyways I just stopped by to check it out and checkswitch came back ok and signal was over 100 on both satellites. She said it comes in at night and goes away in the morning and during the day so I guess its a problem with the LNB. So i was just gonna take the Legacy LNB off and replace it with a DPPT and leave it at that. So I do that and run a check switch and it came back only showing 119, which is what a DP lnb would come back with w/out an adapter but I used a DPPT. Anyways I just put the Legacy LNB back on it and it was working fine again. I just left it alone, it was working fine when I left and the tech who went out the other day will have to go back out there on saturday because we are supposed to fix our own TC's anyway. The dish was over 100 feet away from the house which I dont think that would have been a problem but maybe it will help someone determine what the problem could have been. What the hell was wrong with it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

With a DPP Twin, a DP or DPP receiver must be connected if you're gonna use a Legacy receiver. The DPP Twin needs more power than a regular DP Twin. I'd say the Legacy LNB is bad.

I'd replace it with another legacy twin, and if it still has the problem, I suspect the receiver, and possibly the rest of the connectors and the cable.

A temporary brand new directly connected cable with known GOOD connectors may be used to atest any of these theories.

if the signal stenght is over 100 on both sat's then its most likely the receiver from my experience ( or possibly bad fitting somewhere). also did you know you can run a legacy receiver off a dpp lnb as long as its connected to the 2nd port? i never tried it but a fellow tech of mine said he does it all the time and it works.

Thanks everyone for the advice, you guys are a great help. I think one of the tools to help me succeed in this job with trouble calls is this forum because I am still kinda struggling with them, sometimes I have them figured out in 10 minutes and sometimes it takes over 2 hours and thats gotta stop. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)