Another EHD question

Templeton0543

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Central California
I know this has been discussed before, but can't find the threads.
Yesterday a tech was here to repoint my dish and was discussing other issues like intermittently not recording scheduled programs and the box (HWS) locking up once in awhile and decided to get upgraded to H3. Today the practical issues of the change have hit home.
I have a NIB 4TB Seagate EHD, can I transfer the recorded programs to it? I remember a size limit, don't remember what it is. I also have one like it hooked up as backup on my computer with files on it, can I use it? I would transfer programs to the EHD then back to the H3, will the H3 even recognize programs recorded on a HWS?
And is there a way to somehow transfer all the timers set up on the HWS to the H3?

First, let the new H3 go for 3 days to get all of its updates. Next, the Dish supported limit on EHDs is 2TB. Some have reported seeing 3TB just fine so you won't know about the 4TB until you try it. If the H3 recognizes it you will be able to transfer to your hearts content. The H3 will format any EHD that hasn't been formatted to a Dish product before. Be prepared to lose anything that might be on that HD. The H3 will recognize programming that was transferred to to an EHD that was connected to a 722 or Hopper product... If you still have the 40 remote that you had with your HWS you can transfer the timers to the H3...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks! That eliminates the one hooked to my computer. Will just have try the new Seagate. Can I set up a partition splitting the 4 into two 2s? And would the HWS recognize the partition and format only one?

Can I set up a partition splitting the 4 into two 2s? And would the HWS recognize the partition and format only one?

Nope...assuming it recognizes your drive at all, it will reformat the whole thing and blow out any partitions you've created, then set up its own. I've actually had one 3TB drive that my H3 recognized, but never tried anything any larger.

Bummer. I got two 4TB EHDs on sale at Costco awhile back cheaper than I could get two 2TB EHDs. Guess I didn't do myself any favors, this was before I read of any limitations.
Wonder why there IS a limitation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts