Another new guy with lots of questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

2004hemi

Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Well I hope I placed this in the right place. I currently have Direct TV (please don’t start throwing things yet) but anyway I plan to switch back to Dish Network around Jan 06 since I am under contract until then. I have more then a few questions but I will try and limit them for this thread.

One of my questions that I am finding it very hard to get an answer to would be. Will the installer supply a 5x8 multi switch?

Will I have to buy my own? Also If I have to supply my own then what brand should I use? Which one is compatible with Dish Network and is HDTV ready? Where is the best place to buy one?

Here is a general idea of my set up I have at home. I have a dish mounted with 4 RG6 lines going into my attic (2 story house) then back down into a structured wiring panel. I plan to pull the existing panel out and start over since the builder installed mostly cable ready parts. (US Tech) In the house I have Two RG6 and two Cat 5 lines in each room of the house. I plan to go back with Channel Vision components to re build my DSL home network. I also plan to run the 4 incoming and (attic mounted OTA antenna) Sat lines to a 5x8 multi switch. From what I have read I need to put a 6” jumper in 2 of the lines going into the multi switch.

If I want to have HD DVR in my living room will I need both RG6 lines at that location? I also plan to put a regular box in each of my two kid’s rooms and maybe a DVR box in the kid’s game room. Will the DVR in the game room need 2 RG6 lines used? I have phone jacks at all the locations so that should not be a problem.

Sorry if I rambled on but I have so many questions and when I call Dish or any of the 40,000 pages that sell dish they have no idea what I am talking about ( some hardly even speak English) Also I hope I put this in the correct place this is my first post so go easy on me.

Thanks in advance for any help ya’ll can offer.

If I'm reading this correctly, you are going to have a total of 4 televisions hooked up. Two of the rooms are non-DVR. And one of the DVR rooms is going to be in hi-def. If that's the case, then it should be a simple matter of all 4 rooms having only one RG6 run. I'm sure other's will add their two-cents worth, but Dish will probably just give you a dual-tuner (322 receiver) for your kid's rooms and a hi-def/DVR dual-tuner (942) for the livingroom and game room.

Since you have phone lines in every room, it won't be an issue. The catch I can see is the $250 you'll need to pony up for the 942 "upgrade" fee. Everything else will be provided by the installer

Maybe I am way off in my thinking but for a HD with DVR and an Antenna wouldn’t I need 2 lines from the dish to that TV and a Multi switch to incorporate the antenna signal? I am hoping to have the ability to watch one show and record another.

Also for the game room with a DVR would that room also need 2 lines in from the dish? That takes all four lines making is so I would need a multi switch to supply the other two TV’s

No, we're talking Dish here, not DirecTV - it's a different world.

Anyway, with two RG-6 to each room, no problems. Here's how I'd do it:

DPP-Twin LNBF - gives two feeds each capable of handling a dual-tuner box. As webbydude says, a 942 and a 322 is the way to go. This leaves you an RG-6 for VHF/UHF feeds. The 322 will use that to feed it's TV2 to the second room. Use the other unused feed to route the OTA antenna to the 942.

This leaves you with needing a way to get the 942s TV2 output to the game room. No problem, a pair of diplexers takes care of that issue. This is all Install 101 - but if you're not going through a local retailer, you stand a pretty good chance of getting a turkey that failed Install 101. :cool:

To revert to D* talk, the fifth input of a 5x8 IS a diplexer - that's all.

In your first sentence you said,"switch back to Dish Network". So, you were a Dish customer sometime. How long ago? From other readings I assume Dish may still see you as a previous customer which, according to what I've read here, changes what they will and will not do. Doubtful they will lease you a 942.

Yes I had Dish Network about 10 months ago. When I moved into my new house I switched to Direct TV. That was a mistake, it was a nightmare getting the system installed my HD box locks up once a week, I loose signal all the time and Customer service is a joke. That said I am going to switch back I am under contract for a year but talked to a Dish installer he told me I could just pay $12.50 per month left on my contract to get away from Direct.

The installer also explained how he could put a 942 in my living room and send the other tuner from that box to the kid’s game room upstairs. Then he will place a 322 in one of my kid’s room and send the other tuner to the other room. One thing I forgot to ask is how will I change the channel in the second room if there is only one box and it feeds two rooms?

I am hoping to get around the “not a first time customer” since I moved to a new town and have a different phone number and will be using my wife as the name and her SS #.

2004hemi said:
One thing I forgot to ask is how will I change the channel in the second room if there is only one box and it feeds two rooms?
Welcome to the forum, 2004hemi!

942 comes with two remotes. The second one is an RF remote. You should be able to use it in other rooms no problem.

Ilya said:
Welcome to the forum, 2004hemi!

942 comes with two remotes. The second one is an RF remote. You should be able to use it in other rooms no problem.
Ditto for the 322. The installer will set the two UHF remotes to be on different addresses so that they don't conflict.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)