another phone line question

markav

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
New dish 522 customer here coming over from a dtv / ultimate tv setup. Got setup yesterday, everything's great so far (seems to be local guide problems, but I see it stated elsewhere that it takes a day or two to populate the local guide listings) but I do have one question for anyone in the know about such things.

I'm in a home office with a multi-line digital phone system. I want to use a convenient modem outlet to hook up the 522, but the outlet doesn't give you dialtone unless you dial a prefix first. The 522 doesn't seem to like that (even with the prefix number properly set up in the install options), it seems like it wants to see a dialtone before it'll dial out at all.

When the installer came out yesterday, we were able to do a temporary fix to get past the install stage by plugging directly into the central phone box. He said that once we're past that install/setup stage, the phone line isn't really necessary except for ppv.

But of course, I got the nag screen this morning. So my question is -- will they eventally start charging an extra $5 if I don't get that straightened out? Is that phone line really necessary?

Thanks for any input.

They *will* charge you an extra $5/month if it's not plugged in. They're charging you for the 2nd "receiver" but if you connect it to the phone line, they waive that fee.

The phone connection is NOT necessary as the receiver will function just fine without it being connected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)