Another TV2 question - can't seem o get it working

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

glowrdr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
OK - So generally I'm pretty good with electronics and such (No expert, but I can handle my own

I used to have a 722k. TV1 was upstairs, TV2 down. Now I've replaced the 722k with a 922k. Nothing else has changed as far as wiring or anything.

I went in and changed the settings from PIP to Duo, and set TV2 to channel 60. I can see the picture on TV2, but it's cut off with black bars. I also cannot seem to get the TV2 remote to work at all from the basement?

I know with the 722k it had an antenna on the back of the box. I haven't checked the 922 to see if this was the case.

Am I missing something here? What needs to happen to make the TV2 remote "connect" to my receiver so it knows its there?

You have to go into the menu setup and you'll see a remote icon.. On the right hand side you will probably only see one remote linked.. You will then press and hold the number 2 remote sat button and it will link it to the recv.. Hope this helps..

OK - tried that. It can't be that tough, so I must be missing some key element here. I've tried linking it both upstairs (expecting a 2nd option for a remote to pop up) and I've tried downstairs thinking that the menu will pop up down there since it's the TV2 remote.

Do I have to put the TV2 remote in TV1 mode to link, then switch it back? Not sure what bothers me more - the fact I can't get my TV2 to work, or the fact I can't figure out a remote control.. lol

(In case I'm missing something, I've been trying to hold the SAT button on remote 2. Tried 5 seconds, 30 seconds, 15 minutes. No noticeable change)

I have my 922 hooked up the same as you. Did the installer not get this all working for you before he left? Are you using both of the black remotes for the 922? If tv2 is silver remote it probably will not work. My installer hooked up what i call a three way splitter behind my 922 two wires feed sat signals into 922 and third wire back feeds over air signal and sat feeds back two my DPP44 switch area were he mounted the diplexer this feeds my over the air and sat feeds back to the tv2 which I have in the garage. Not sure what you mean by your picture tv2 being cut-off with black bars? Its not going to be a HD picture if that's what your seeing. If you had it installed by a dish installer I would call him back out and tell him to finish the job.

Unfortunately I had purchased a new TV, and the old one was laying on the floor in the basement (sold the basement TV, moved upstairs one down). So there was no TV working when they were here to connect. I checked a little into my setup, and it does look like it's setup the same way with the splitter as so forth. As for the black bars - it's like I am watching an HD program in SD, so the picture is the correct size for a 16:9 TV, but black bars are cutting off the sides creating a 4:3 display. This means that I'm losing roughly 40% of the picture "off the sides" due to the black bars.

I believe my issue would be resolved once I can actually connect remote 2 to the receiver and adjust the display settings. I just can't make that happen. I know you have said to press and hold Sat on TV2. Would I want to do this upstairs? Down? (It's an RF remote I thought, so that really shouldn't matter). Once I get the remote connected, do I need to change any settings, and if so - would this be on TV1 or TV2? It makes sense that it would be on TV2 that the menu would pop up, but I cannot get any confirmation frm TV1 that there are 2 remotes. When I go into the Remote menu, it's just for TV1 and I'm not seeing anywhere you would select the other remote. I remember this on the 722, but I'm not seeing it on the 922.

Thanks in advance. Not trying to be difficult - this is what is bugging me. It's gotta be something painfully simple.

(I just double checked because I wasn't 100% positive I saw the antenna on the back. It's there)

You would do that upstairs at the recv. Use remote 1 to get to the menu then to the remote icon.. Then press and hold remote 2 sat button..

I just looked at mine.. That got changed.. I will try and figure out how to link the remote again and post up..

OK Got it..With the number 1 remote press Menu then press menu again.. You will see 1 remote control on the right hand side.. Then grap the number2 remote. Press and hold the sat button tell it links.. You will then see a second remote on the right hand side..

Thanks for posting - I actually (or should I say accidentally) figured that out while I was gone trying it again. I hit menu again instead of cancel, and briefly saw the status screen with the remote in the top corner.

Linked remote 2 (with a satisfying chime I might add) - checked it out, and all is well now. BTW - those black bars were exactly what I figured. Everything we DVR is in HD, so naturally the channel was last left on an HD station. It does attempt to broadcast it in HD, but only displays the 4:3 version of it (not a strethd version since it isn't smart enough to know it's not in HD on the other end)

Thanks again for the help. Just a moment too late, but it definately would have solved it had I not beat you to the punch.

For future reference (from someone not 922 certified) go into the system info screen from the front panel of the receiver to link remotes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)