Another upgrade question (510)

catnap1972

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Central Pennsylvania
If you recall I'd posted not long ago how one of my antique 4000s had bought the farm and asked some opinions about my options. I wound up RMA'ing the doorstop (through DHPP) and ended up with a refub 4900 (wasn't figuring on that--at least I keep the UHF, and it's a definite improvement over the 4000 ;) )

Now a question about the other 4000 I still have left. It still works (modem's a little flaky), but I'd been considering replacing it with a 510. Have my setup rigged so I could still watch the DVR on 2 TVs, but obviously no MTS in the 2nd room (big deal :rolleyes: )

Assuming that I'm keep the 4900, what monthly fees will I end up being slapped with if I swap the 4000 for a 510? I'm assuming the 2nd receiver fee/lease fee will wash each other out (the $5/mo I pay now will stay the same) but I'll have to pay the $5 DVR fee in addition. Is my calculations correct or is there another $5 in there somewhere?

random suggestions

If you own the PVR, no. If you lease it, I don't know.
Leasing makes my brain ache, and I totally reject the concept.

Try to get a 508 and forget the DVR fees.
Dish shows 'em on their site, and one of our sponsors has them.

As for getting stereo into the other room, buy a $12-20 modulator with stereo.
They all do stereo these days.
I have a nice Radio Shack syntesized model with a digital readout showing which of 100+ vhf/uhf/cable channels it's tuned to.
(search for me mentioning that to someone else on this site - he found a similar deal on Ebay for $20)

The 5xx PVRs will give you a week-long program guide, which will quickly spoil you.
Your old 4xxx receivers still do what? 4 hours?
A nice 301 (or later) low end receiver will get you 44 hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)