Another VOIP question: Ooma and 622

Warren

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I think I'm going to try out the Ooma setup and dump my landline. I've done some searching around here, and it seems there is some confusion on whether the 622 will dial out over VOIP with Ooma. Anyone with any insight?
I don't want to pay the extra $5 fee, and I have a phone jack next to the 622 which I split between it and the cordless phone. I planned to have the "Scout" module in that area and hook up that phone system with that. Can I split it to the 622?
Or am i going to have to get a wireless signal to the 622?

How many receivers do you have? If you just have the 622, you're not supposed to have to pay the absurd fee anymore, although I haven't tested it since my 622 sits right next to my router.

I have two receivers, the 622 and a 505 in the daughter's room with no phone line.

I've been researching this for last day, and have come up with a few alternatives.
One is to disconnect the phone wiring from the phone co. and "loop" the house wiring. Supposedly, all my phone jacks would then work with the Ooma system.
The other is to get a wireless connection to my 622 from my router.
Apparently, there is also the homeplug solution, but I know basically nothing about that. Just wondered what my best solution is!

Not much response on this, but I went ahead and ordered the Ooma and figure I'll work it out if I like the system.
From what I can figure out, the Homeplug system is probably the best bet, although it seems that if it works that well everyone would be getting rid of their wireless routers.
Any issues with older wiring? (like knob and tube.... )

I have Ooma and a ViP-211K. I recently noticed a whole bunch of calls going out that were being made to an 866 number on myooma page. I discover it is the dish receiver phoning home. In running diagnostics the receiver reports that the phone has a "local connection" but if you run a call out test it reports that there is a call out failure and to try again later. Caller ID works fine. If I run the STB health live it appears to connect and send the data. I haven't found a solution to why the phone diagnostics has a callout failure.

If it supports "fax", it should work. Dial up and fax use a different protocol that many voip providers do not support. I have voicepulse and dial up works, but they don't say that they support it. It just does. :)

I did switch both of my 722s over to IP based because I wanted Ethernet at the TVs anyway so I reused the phone line (cat 5) for ethernet.

I had the same problem with another VOIP provider. I added *99# to the "Prefix" in the "Phone System Setup" menu and it fixed it.

If you can arrange a LAN connection from your router to your ViP622, you can forget about the phone line on the ViP622.

Another option would be to plug in a HomePlug adapter near your router and use that with the ViP622's built in HomePlug facility.

It would appear that Ooma doesn't make any promises regarding fax machine usability so I wouldn't bother even if you can't make a LAN connection.

The only reason I have my phone line plugged in is to have the Caller ID displayed on the TV.

I just don't get when people pay $250 plus to get free phone service.:eek:
Wasn't the last snake oil sales VOIP company SunRocket and look what happen to them.
How does that old saying go, If it sound to good to be true usually is. :eek:

Well, I've had it for close to 3 years now, and it paid for itself after the first 10 months. If they fail tomorrow, I'd still call that a good investment!

Well, I've had it for close to 3 years now, and it paid for itself after the first 10 months. If they fail tomorrow, I'd still call that a good investment!
For me it would take about two years to pay me back, considering I have Vonage and pay $12.50 a month plus taxes.
If anything I would try magic jack first. But tha'ts just me.

Ooma paid for it self in THREE months for us, and that includes the handset. It is by far the easiest service for anyone to set-up and functions the most just like the land-line one is replacing with a lot of features with out the techo-geek and even PAIN of Google and other VoIP competitors. Yes, it's a hefty upfront, but it does have the LEAST disadvantages and is exactly what 95% of consumers are looking for as a replacement for their land line, but the monthly bill is SO LOW compared to the competition ($3.46 for basic service because you are charged taxes only) , that after time, the competitors will cost one MORE than Ooma.

It really isn't too good to be true: Ooma makes the $$ from the sale of hardware and the upgrade to the Premiere package for the additional $9.99 per month (so if that is added, even the new monthly bill of aprox. $13.46 is still significantly lower than the REAL monthly cost of say Vonage, et al.) and add-ons that people don't need, but many decide to purchase anyway such as a third or more (everyone gets a 2nd number FREE) telephone number for $4.98 per month. Our second telephone number cost us $50 per month BEFORE charges for calling, which were very small.

It really depends upon each household to come to the conclusion which VoIP service is best for them, so let's not assume everyone has the same situation of we do.

I just don't get when people pay $250 plus to get free phone service.:eek:
Wasn't the last snake oil sales VOIP company SunRocket and look what happen to them.
How does that old saying go, If it sound to good to be true usually is. :eek:

SunRocket was great, I was with them since day one until they went out of business. Their problem was that they were never profitable and run out of other people's money. No different than our government, except that they have China.

I like voicepulse (VoicePulse: Home Phone Service | Business Phone Service | Unlimited Calling | International Calls ) because you can setup a "white list". I send all callers to voicemail and then setup "always ring" rules for numbers I want to let through. Works great and I haven't had a telemarketer get through since I set it up. ( Or anyone that I don't want to talk to for that matter. ) I pay about $24.75 a month after taxes, etc. ( North America Unlimited )

Nice thing is that the voicemail is hosted by youmail.com (no extra charge ) and you can setup specific "answering messages" for certain callers. Once a telemarketer calls, I add them to my telemarketer group and they get cool hand luke (failure to communicate). If they keep calling, they get the chicken dance. :D

Failure to communicate: YouMail Voicemail Greeting - Failure to Communicate

Chicken Dance: YouMail Voicemail Greeting - Chicken Dance

Last edited:
Those are high prices for VoIP phone service. The best value is to go the BYOD route. VoIP.ms is an example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts