Any chance of starting a new forum for.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
Just wondering Scott if it could be possible to start a new forum topic I myself am a licensed Amateur Radio (Ham) Operator and part of our privileges is that we can communicate over satellite such as the Qscar Satellites even the International Space Station and it would be if we could have a forum for Amateur Satellite stuff. How to do it, whats required etc. tips on good satellites tracking programs etc. I know for a fact that some of the members at Satelliteguys are licensed hams and could share some stuff with us "newbies" to the Amateur Satellite world.

What do you think Scott?

Thanks
Bob Hale N1WBD
Grafton,NH

Seconded.
If the powers that be think it'd fit in I'm all for an amateur satellite section.
It would give a great hands-on about how everything works too.

I'd love to see what amatures do with satellites (legally of course). I'm for it as long as everything discussed can be done legally.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I used to be into shortwave DXing before I discovered satellites.

Neutron said:
I'd love to see what amatures do with satellites (legally of course). I'm for it as long as everything discussed can be done legally.

But of course!! You need to be a licensed ham in order to transmit on the air legally Technician class or above. (hams are pretty much much self policing anyway) Just curious how many members here are licensed hams I myself hold a General class license and have been licensed for about 20 yrs now. I myself have worked the MIR space station in the past on packet radio the MIR space station had a Amateur Station on board and when it past over head we had about a 10 to 20 min "window" in which we could contact the station.

Anyway you can check out my license info and my picture on www.qrz.com and in the callsign search window just enter N1WBD

I am currently active on HF, PSK31, SSTV, HD SSTV, RTTY and more modes.

I do hope we get enough interest in starting a Amateur Satellite Forum here at Satelliteguys. Thanks Scott for being willing to add the forum so guys please cast your "vote" :)

You folks might find some interesting reading on Amateur Satellites at

http://www.amsat.org

Thanks
Bob N1WBD
Grafton,NH

Scott Greczkowski said:
I don't know lets ask the members. :)

Give us your feedback on this idea!

Thanks Scott!! Sorry about the typos in my original post. I think it's too much RF exposure in my shack :-D So many things to do on the radio and watching Dish and so little time. :) :)

I too am an amateur radio operator. Call sign N9GUX been licensed for about 18 years now. I think it would be cool to see an amateur satellite forum.

My best friend in the UK is a Ham operator and my wife has her license for this country, I for one would be a regular reader. I started off in radio and then discovered satellite, many years ago. I use my scanner radio EVERY day too : )

how many people would support it is my question. everyone said add the video game section, but until lately, it was pretty much dead. i say add it and if it is used, leave it, but if no one uses it, remove it.

Well, the video game section will really start getting some use towards the end of this year/early next year thanks to the new consoles.

that is when they started picking up, right when they started talking about the new systems. i wish more would use them.

So how difficult is it to become licensed and get a callsign? Tests you have to pass? Fees? other hoops?

Pepper said:
So how difficult is it to become licensed and get a callsign? Tests you have to pass? Fees? other hoops?

You can buy a study book called "Now Your Talking" it gives you all you need to know to pass the technician exam. (I believe it's 35 question multiple choice)

Cost I believe to take the exam is about 14 bucks, the exam is administered by volunteer examiners ( I happen to be one )

Check out www.arrl.org to order studybooks and to find out more about amateur radio.

I myself really enjoy doing Hi Def digital slow scan tv.

Bob N1WBD

I'm not a HAM but while researching my Primestar dish I ran into some VERY interesting reads about AO-40.

I'd definately be an interested reader of a Sat-Ham forum.

Thanks for adding this forum Scott. I have been an amateur radio op for 13 years.
I use the amsats for mostly packet these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)