Any news on ATSC 3.0 receiver from CES in LV, NV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The list is in alphabetical order. The only meaning is that Mobile, AL starts with a letter in the middle of the alphabet.

Albany, NY had been on the list, but is no longer there.

Is there a schedule saying which station goes live when, and at what power?

I also wonder when the first ATSC DVR will come out, and at what price and features. THAT is when things are starting to get serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: N5XZS and osu1991
Well they have Philadelphia and Pittsburgh on that list for Pennsylvania but not the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton market. Guess us rural folks don't matter any more to the broadcasters than we do to the internet providers. $$
OldRollEyes2.png

One way to estimate the installation of ATSC 3.0 transmissions is to look at the rate that stations changed channels due to the repack.

Assuming that all the high end transmitter and antenna installation guys are busy until after phase ten, I see fewer transitions until the end of this year.

If you follow the applications for replacement antennas that include some vertical polarization and conclude that the V-POL is for Next gen TV, then factor in the workload at the antenna companies, I’d estimate that mid 2021 is a more realistic schedule for completion of the first round of 61 stations.

Reactions: dweber
OKC is on the list but not Tulsa. Probably because Sinclair has 2 stations in OKC and only one in Tulsa. I kind of thought the Griffins would be moving in that direction as they have 2 stations in Tulsa and cleared all the subchannels off KQCW 2-3 years ago.

I'm pretty sure the removal at the time was because of the auction/repack and their hopes of cashing in on the sale of one of the stations frequencies. They've done nothing with KQCW since, other than full bandwidth CW. :biggrin

It would've been good if they had pushed this prior to the repack phase. It would've probably been easier for stations to migrate to the new technology than after the repack. Prior to the first repack, you had stations being able to test their ATSC 1.0 transmitters alongside their analog transmitters due to the fact so much bandwidth was available to do both at the same time. After July of this year, both VHF-Hi and UHF will be too crowded to do anything like that. Hence the sharing plan that some markets are implementing to transition to 3.0. The transmitter with the 1.0 channels will likely look like crap due to cramming 2 stations channel line-ups on one frequency.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Here's an ATSC 3.0 menu demo for a few TV stations in the Phoenix, Arizona market:

If that's all 3.0 will do for us.... then yawn. That just looks like watching the news on your laptop. Big whoop. I want to know if signal penetration is any better, if picture quality is any better, etc.

If that's all 3.0 will do for us.... then yawn. That just looks like watching the news on your laptop. Big whoop. I want to know if signal penetration is any better, if picture quality is any better, etc.
That demo was all I could find (for now, anyways). I'll be on the lookout for more videos. I, too, am interested to see what all ATSC 3.0/Next Gen TV can do...

Reactions: TheKrell
And yet I still haven't seen any real-world stats yet to back that up-
Be patient, tests are ongoing in a few cities. Real-world stats will come. Early adopters will start posting their experiences later this year and next. Hopefully it will be ready for the masses by 2022.

So we're supposed to be excited about adopting something that nobody really knows anything about? :imshocked
Of course not. If you care to inform yourself, there are real-world stats, test results, demonstrations, etc. all available now if you look for them. Or you can just ignore it now and wait until it rolls out. No excitement required.

One way to estimate the installation of ATSC 3.0 transmissions is to look at the rate that stations changed channels due to the repack.

Assuming that all the high end transmitter and antenna installation guys are busy until after phase ten, I see fewer transitions until the end of this year.

If you follow the applications for replacement antennas that include some vertical polarization and conclude that the V-POL is for Next gen TV, then factor in the workload at the antenna companies, I’d estimate that mid 2021 is a more realistic schedule for completion of the first round of 61 stations.

Dayton stations ABC 22 and Fox 45 have been off the air since the October repack. They are broadcasting at very low power. They are waiting for the transmitter group to finish their installation. There is a several month backlog around the country and the installation backlog is expected to get worse during the first and second quarter of 2020 due to the final phase of the repack. So don’t hold your breath waiting for ATSC 3 installations. The schedule for the first round of ATSC 3 is likely to be 2021.

Here is what ABC22 said on December 23rd “Unfortunately, we are waiting for confirmation of an installation date on this final piece of the puzzle. We, like many stations, are at the mercy of the limited number of technical crews for the necessary tower work and transmitter work. Our staff has worked tirelessly to remove all of the existing equipment to make room for the new solid state transmitters.” It is now January 20 and they still don’t have an installation date.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)