Any Opinions on dealing with Dish Network Regarding 811 receivers?

HD Kurt

Original poster
Feb 22, 2004
You know it is bad when your wife is so furious with Dish Network, that she is ready to call and give them a tongue-lashing!!! I had two 811 Receivers installed with the SuperDish in early December and have had problems ever since with those software bugs everybody is mentioning.

My question is: Has anybody been able to get out of there one year committment with them regarding the 811 receiver. If they won't let you out, has anybody received and free programming in the meantime while there working out the bugs like free HD package, free locals, etc.? Sounds like they don't have any idea when they will fix the problems. I'm not waiting much longer for the dark picture on the SD channels. That and the Check Switch issue about losing satellites isn't gonna fly much longer! I've been angry but nice to themso far, but now that the wife is chewing me out about the Satellite not working, I'm starting to get a little p'd off. Has anybody threatened them with getting attorneys involved if they refuse to do something? I don't mind waiting for the fixes, but I refuse to pay full retail for something they are not providing as advertised. I'd say to not pay the bill, but that will only hurt your credit reports because you won't be paying your bills. Any suggestions from other 811 owners?

I too would be most interested in finding out if anyone has managed to get out of their one year Dish commitment. The 811 is truly a POS. The newest problem is that the channel guide does not at times conform to channel on the screen with the PPV channels popping up all over the place. I pine for the old days with D*.

HD Kurt said:
You know it is bad when your wife is so furious with Dish Network, that she is ready to call and give them a tongue-lashing!!! I had two 811 Receivers installed with the SuperDish in early December and have had problems ever since with those software bugs everybody is mentioning.

My question is: Has anybody been able to get out of there one year committment with them regarding the 811 receiver. If they won't let you out, has anybody received and free programming in the meantime while there working out the bugs like free HD package, free locals, etc.? .... Any suggestions from other 811 owners?

I'm getting Free HBO and Showtime. Complained about the lack of HD content after making the one year commitment. Will only last a couple of months. IMHO, neither is worth paying for. I do get CBS-HD and find it very good.

While I've had the same check switch, program guide and digital sould drops out as others, it seems to be getting better. Dish did promise a program guide software update before the end of this month and the fix for the S-Video darkness in March. If most, if not all, of the commone issues are fixed by March 31st, I am OK with the 811, if not, I will be back on the the phone with executiver CSR.

I do know, HD content does not increase, perhaps twofold, the $9.95 per month is not worthwhile.

Rick

CSR's or CEO????

I noticed in another thread, someone had suggested emailing an email to ceo@dishnetwork.com. Should I go straight to the top or give the CSR's a chance to give me something in return?

I also saw where someone had suggested that all current 811 owners are part of some beta test program. Is this something that could be true or is this a comical suggestion!

HD Kurt said:
I noticed in another thread, someone had suggested emailing an email to ceo@dishnetwork.com. Should I go straight to the top or give the CSR's a chance to give me something in return?

I also saw where someone had suggested that all current 811 owners are part of some beta test program. Is this something that could be true or is this a comical suggestion!

The ceo@dishnetwork.com doesn't go to Charlie but a seperate staff that handles the folks that are really ticked off.

HD Kurt said:

below is the response I got from going the CSR route through the tech support link on the Dish Network web site. So good luck on that approach. If contacting "ceo...." is a better route why don't they have these individuals as front line support as IMO the "other" support is useless.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 9:20 AM
To: Tech
Subject: Re: Technical Support, , 2705265826

Dear Mr. Small,

Thank you for your e-mail. We understand your frustration, unfortunately there has not been a date released regarding the fixed software. Once again we appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Daniel B.

DISH Network eCare

** Please include all previous correspondence when replying. **

-----original message-----

Dear Technical support,

Please tell me I don't have to wait indefinitely for a fix on these issues. Watching Charlie Chat every month and checking the link you provided is not an acceptable answer since there is no indication as to "when". This indicates to me that it could be months before a fix is distributed. Meanwhile I have to pay for something that doesn't work? There are many people waiting for a fix. It would be nice if you could provide a time frame for the S/W update. I'm sure you must by now have some idea when the release will be done since this issue has been ongoing for a month and a half.

On yesterdays Tech Chat it was indicated that a fix was forthcoming for the dark picture problem on the SD outputs. There was no mention of the problem with the HD outputs. So what about them? Jusi in case you don't think there is a problem with HD outputs being too dark you can go to here ("here" was a link to a thread in the original message) and read the most recent posts. There are also other forum threads I can reference but this one is representative of the posts in other threads.

Regards,

Gordon Small

----- Original Message -----

To: 'gsmall@accessky.net'

Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 3:33 PM

Subject: RE: Technical Support, , 2705265826

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 5:26 PM

To: Tech

Subject: Technical Support, , 2705265826

Dear Mr. Small,

Thank you for your e-mail and your question on the HD 811 receiver. We are aware of the issues regarding the 811 receiver and our Engineering Department is diligently working on a solution. There is currently no ETA regarding the release of the software. Please stay tuned to the monthly Charlie Chat on channel 101 every month; or please use the following link http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/index.shtml. We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Sincerely,

Daniel B.

DISH Network eCare

** Please include all previous correspondence when replying. **

-----original message-----

Full Name: Gordon Small

Account Number: 8255-

Question: I just subscribed to Dish Network and had the Dish 811 receiver

installed. This receiver has a couple problems. One problem I'm

experiencing is that the picture is very dark. I have to increase my

brightness level to max in order to see the picture. Also the guide is

messed up. If I try to view something more than two hours into the future

the video hangs up and the system is trying to access the satellite for

guide data. The guide does eventually get there but it takes a while. This

can't be the way it was designed, or is it?

Are these problems because of bad hardware? Should I contact Radio Shack

and have them replace the 811?

Someone told me that it may be a software issue. If this is the case, when

will it be fixed.

Thanks,

Gordon Small

Gordon,
I like how they reply with that "we love your patience junk" but nowhere did I see any offerings of a discount or free services while we wait endlessly. Heck for all we know our one year committment might be up before they get this figured out. I beginning to think they just want to drag there feet because for all they care, they are still getting paid by all of us! I've never seen such customer service.

I don't have a problem waiting for DISH to fix the problems with the 811 receiver. I too get the fix switch and reboots when switching from OTA to Sat. After all, the receiver was free and its not like I am denied service completely.

If the receiver didnt work at all I would expect to be compensated accordingly for my programming outage. Since that is not the case, I will allow DISH the time to fix the problems. I think the bigger issue with DISH is the severe lack of HD programming included in the HDPack. I had to order VOOM So I can use both services to meet the programming needs of my household.

Bill

Maybe a class action lawsuit? It appears they sold us a defective product without any warning. At the very least, they should allow us to dump the HD package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts