Any other "movers" in a deep fringe area.....

cj9788

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Miami, FL
E* subs in North Florida/South Ga. JAX DMA favor requested.

Please take a moment from your busy days and post your signal readings on TP 1 and TP 3 for sat 119W which are the WPB/Miami spotbeams. You need not be a sub to the Miami locals, just press menu then 6-1-1 from your remotes and select the 119 sat then scroll to the trasponders/spot 1 and 3. Please report the signal readings here & type of dish you have ie Dish 500 or 1000.2 ect if possible. Please note what time of day of for the reading.

The reaason for this req is i sub "moved" to Miami (I live in Middleburg). The spotbeams lock during the summer months no problem, but like clock work during the fall winter months the signal goes down & the signal is unlockable. I want to know if other user have the same issues. I can not make this request at DBSTALK dot com as this type of question/req is not allowed.

Thank you in advance to those who choose to respond.

Last edited:
Judging by the maps the Miami-W Palm Beach spotbeams drop off near Cape Canaveral. If you can pick up Miami in the Jacksonville area I'd say that's interesting.

The reaason for this req is i sub "moved" to Miami (I live in Middleburg). The spotbeams lock during the summer months no problem, but like clock work during the fall winter months the signal goes down & the signal is unlockable. I want to know if other user have the same issues. I can not make this request at DBSTALK dot com as this type of question/req is not allowed.

What are your regular readings in summer?

What dish do you actually have?

119W bird does get a bid strayed and E* has to keep an eye on it.
Things are so bad on that bird it will be replaced next year.
EVII was launched on 21/02/2002; normally the lifespan should be arround 15 years, but EVII must be replaced after only 7

Probably one of the causes:

During 2006 lost an uplink receiver. If the spare fails, Dish would lose one-fifth of the spot beam capacity when operating in spot beam mode.

EKB: Echostar Satellites

I have to use a one meter dish to pull in a locakable signal, during the spring summer months the signal is between 35 and 45 all day all night. Ever since the end of September the signal had been dropping below 15 at around 3:00 pm by by 4:00pm it is completly gone, but back up to 35 by around 6:00pm.

I have to use a one meter dish to pull in a locakable signal, during the spring summer months the signal is between 35 and 45 all day all night. Ever since the end of September the signal had been dropping below 15 at around 3:00 pm by by 4:00pm it is completly gone, but back up to 35 by around 6:00pm.

What I do is Fringe area...size for me isn't a problem, but by the other hand I know in the US size is a problem for some condos.

I think you know where I'm going here....

I would go for a Channel Master 6 footer, it's not so expensive (around $380 + s&h).

Expect anything in Fringe area (in fringe there are no warranties); you have to add gain to fight signal fade. this fade could be present most likely due to the fact that at that time is the peak of temperature (heat) of the atmosphere for your location-angle and time in the year. This attenuates signal so you will notice this more and you are in the fringe of spot beam that serves south florida, sometimes adding gain will help; sometimes it wont. This phenomenon I only have seen deep in fringe not so close like you within the CONUS beam but in fringe with spot beam, therefore adding gain most likely should help you out to pump up levels....

Have you tried peaking at those specific times?
If you have and no improovement in your signal most likely the phenomenon I stated above must be the cause.

Judging by the maps the Miami-W Palm Beach spotbeams drop off near Cape Canaveral. If you can pick up Miami in the Jacksonville area I'd say that's interesting.

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 119°W

What is this based on, because right on the northern yellow line and with the larger international dish1000+/LNBF for 110,118,119,129 @ 119 tp1=75% on a 301 model (120% on a 3900 model), tp 3 65% (110% on 3900)

I used to have the smaller dish 500 until a year ago and I remember they were about 20 points lower on the 3900 or 90%-100%.

OP, I do not understand this whole thing about losing signal in winter, maybe you need a new LNBF that can handle the temperature change from 90s on summer days to 30s on winter nights.

Last edited:
What I do is Fringe area...size for me isn't a problem, but by the other hand I know in the US size is a problem for some condos.

I think you know where I'm going here....

I would go for a Channel Master 6 footer, it's not so expensive (around $380 + s&h).

Expect anything in Fringe area (in fringe there are no warranties); you have to add gain to fight signal fade. this fade could be present most likely due to the fact that at that time is the peak of temperature (heat) of the atmosphere for your location-angle and time in the year. This attenuates signal so you will notice this more and you are in the fringe of spot beam that serves south florida, sometimes adding gain will help; sometimes it wont. This phenomenon I only have seen deep in fringe not so close like you within the CONUS beam but in fringe with spot beam, therefore adding gain most likely should help you out to pump up levels....

Have you tried peaking at those specific times?
If you have and no improovement in your signal most likely the phenomenon I stated above must be the cause.

You are right about gain. When I first moved here Miami was on CONUS, when they moved to the spots I lost Miami all together. The One meter dish works great except for the times I mentioned.

As far as an channelmaster dish how difficult is it to attach my DP lnb. I went with winegard for my 1meter dish becasu it was easy to attach my DP lnb.

I was looking at a foretec 1.8 meter dish I have been holdong off on buying till I can do do some research as to lnb compatibilty.

What is this based on, because right on the northern yellow line and with the larger international dish1000+/LNBF for 110,118,119,129 @ 119 tp1=75% on a 301 model (120% on a 3900 model), tp 3 65% (110% on 3900)

I used to have the smaller dish 500 until a year ago and I remember they were about 20 points lower on the 3900 or 90%-100%.

OP, I do not understand this whole thing about losing signal in winter, maybe you need a new LNBF that can handle the temperature change from 90s on summer days to 30s on winter nights.

Where in florida are you? Daytona or further south?

Spot one and spot 3 are the WPB/Miami locals I live in Jackcsonville which is out side the fringe. I really should have zero on the tps/spots but because of a larger dish I can see them.

Something happens every winter that causes the signal to dip.

No problems with lnb and all other tp's are at locked at 125 on my 3900 which equals about 92 on my 625.

Last edited:
As far as an channelmaster dish how difficult is it to attach my DP lnb. I went with winegard for my 1meter dish becasu it was easy to attach my DP lnb.

I was looking at a foretec 1.8 meter dish I have been holdong off on buying till I can do do some research as to lnb compatibilty.

Well I never find compatible brackets, holsters for any LNBF I must adapt, the worst case scenario you'll have to remove al the grey plastic cap and mostlikely use duct tape to fill neck evenly so the original Channel Master bracket will hold your DP lnbf.

These guy sell brackets:

LNB & LNBF Bracket Adaptor - Holds 3, 2 or more LNB's

probably they might have someting usefull for your set up.
You must be able to get 119W and 110W with such antenna, probably theres a multifeed bracket for you; although you will need to aim the antenna to 119W to acheve the most for your spot beam signal, I have no doubt you will receive excellent readings from 110W as well with the same antenna.

Stay with off set fed antennas I don't know if Fortec 1.8 m is prime focus, but if it's off set fed it might be good....

I just brought up Channel Master because it's the one I use.

Regarding Fortec:

http://www.fortecstar.net/estore/storefront/default.asp?categoryid=8

they seem to maufacture only off set fed antenas only up to 1.5 m.
1.8 m & 2.4 m are prime focus.
My advice is to stay with off set fed antenna.

Channel master does manufacture up o 2.4 m off set fed.

Why stick with off set fed?
well all LNBF you will find in the market are designed to match off set fed's f/d (arround 0.7)
therefore you will require less adaptors - research.

What are your regular readings in summer?

What dish do you actually have?

119W bird does get a bid strayed and E* has to keep an eye on it.
Things are so bad on that bird it will be replaced next year.
EVII was launched on 21/02/2002; normally the lifespan should be arround 15 years, but EVII must be replaced after only 7

Probably one of the causes:

During 2006 lost an uplink receiver. If the spare fails, Dish would lose one-fifth of the spot beam capacity when operating in spot beam mode.

EKB: Echostar Satellites

Echostar has to keep an eye on all satellites. They let them bounce around a bit as long as the US is covered and the DMA's are covered by the beams. They do not take "movers" into account.

E7 is not being replaced due to station keeping issues. The main reason it is being replaced as it was one the first spotbeam satellite they put up, it has older spotbeam technology. E14 has much better uplink and downlink spotbeam technology allowing more bandwidth.

Nothing wrong with the LNB... I've heard many times that deep fringe movers lose spotbeams in the winter. Possibly less "sun time" on the solar arrays forces them to back the power down a bit?

Rafaleccs:

Thanks for the info, I could care less if the CM dish (or any dish) can pick up 110 and 119 @ same time. I use 2 separate dishes for each sat. I always planned on getting a larger dish than one meter but like I said lnb compatibilty has been my issue. On my winegard dish I did have to remove the plastic housing around the lnb but they provided round inserts to fill the gap. I never thought to fill the space with duct tape. Good Idea.

Digiblur:

I am worried about the new sat planned for 119w, my biggest fear is that they will have a more focused beam and with that the signal may not reach as far as it does now.

Echostar has to keep an eye on all satellites. They let them bounce around a bit as long as the US is covered and the DMA's are covered by the beams. They do not take "movers" into account.

E7 is not being replaced due to station keeping issues. The main reason it is being replaced as it was one the first spotbeam satellite they put up, it has older spotbeam technology. E14 has much better uplink and downlink spotbeam technology allowing more bandwidth.

Digiblur:

Of course all satellites must have station keep, I never stated they are drifting arround by them selves.

Probably what you state is true (old spotbeam technology) I state EVII had issues only because I once went to a Echostar summit's at Engineering area (like a tech area where the engineers where sitted and we could ask questions) and asked why the bird (119 W) strays out of target a bit, they said they had some technical issues with it and told me if I noticed drifting I coul call Dishnetwork Engineering department executive offices (@ Englewood Colorado plus a number I can't post) I help with some installations in Puerto Rico once in a while and we broght it up due to the fact 119 W had sometimes low readings.....

When you go to the next summit you could ask them at the engineering desk probably I misunderstood but thats what I learned that day.

Best Regards.

Possibly less "sun time" on the solar arrays forces them to back the power down a bit?

Less sun time, at the equator in a geo orbit? That makes no sense!

The satellite is not on earth, If you watch dish earth for example you are saying that just because it is fall/winter in the northern hemi we would see that a satellte in geo orbit like the one with a camera would be in the Earth's shadow longer because it is winter on Earth in the northern hemi, even though the satellite is located in space over the equator. If that theory was true then night (Earth's shadow) would also have to be longer in space over the equator whenever it is also winter in the southern hemi.

Seems a more plausible explantion would be something like echostar reduces the power during non thunderstorm season.

But all this is very interesting, I guess I will have to start recording Dish Earth every night and start making my own calculations over the next month.

Any other "movers" in a deep fringe area experiancing signal loss issues?

I live 350 miles from the spotbeam I sub to and latey I have been having signal issues on the spotbeam. It has been going out for several hours. Yesterday it went out at about 2:00pm and did not come back till after 9:30PM. tODAY LOOKS LIKE THE SAME THING.

I am just barely in the green area for the Atlanta spotbeam, but I don't guess I'm "fringe." I haven't yet had a problem with my "move" though. It would help someone answer your question if you mentioned your approximate location and the spotbeam you are getting.

more info

Any other "movers" in a deep fringe area experiancing signal loss issues?

I live 350 miles from the spotbeam I sub to and latey I have been having signal issues on the spotbeam. It has been going out for several hours. Yesterday it went out at about 2:00pm and did not come back till after 9:30PM. tODAY LOOKS LIKE THE SAME THING.

We would need more info about what spot you are trying to keep going. But mostly it sounds like you need a bigger dish to stay locked.

Thanks guys, I live in Middleburg fl about 350 miles from Miami. I do in fact use a 1 meter dish for the 119w sat i sub to e*. This is the third winter this has happend and am thinking it is time for a larger dish.

BTW the lnb works fine and I tripled checked allinmnet. (Sorry I am a bad speller). All othe tp's on this dish are at 125 on my old 3900. I have 90 on spot 5 110 on spot 11 and nothing on spot 9. But the spot 3 and 5 is what I a need for miami loclas.

BTW SATGUYS RULES DBSTALK WONT EVEN LET ME ASK!

I'm shocked you get that with a one meter! According to the maps, you are just outside of the 39dBw line! If someone would have asked me before in that area I would have said at least a 2 meter and lots of luck to you.

The beam that looks like for Miami on E14 will be about the same size, just a tad bit smaller. Probably not worth it at all. I'd find another location.

It's Spotbeam 15, not 3 and 5 by the way.

Here's the beams for E14 (based on normal installation sizes) - http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...lite-utilization-information.html#post1842789

And of course the current beams can be found on TheList link in my sig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts