Any rumors of Voom on DTV?

GadgetRick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Near NYC
Just curious if anyone has heard any rumors of DTV picking up some of the ex-Voom programming. Would be nice. I'd sign up with Dish if they had NFL Sunday Ticket but we all know how that goes...

The Rickster

Hang on a sec.

There is some good news for June maybe. I am trying to get ok to post the personal link from another member. In the interm I would say wait!
-scott

Update: Check this link for the info

try this

Hey rickster,
Try this food for thought. What is said and what will happen can be two different things as we has seen in the past. Just follow this for a sec. D* put up one of the new ka-band sats for HD in April with more going up in the near future. These were to get the HD locals rebroadcast ASAP for key markets. At least that was the know intent before E*made the deal for Rainbow-1 and Voom-10/21. Keep following me here. D* is #1 right now and that is a spot they do not want to loose. With E adding VOOM -10 to it's lineup, D* lost the HD edge. D* is talking hard about the new sat in orbit (which goes online in a few mos) and E*'s edge over them right now with HD programing. Now if you were on there team and know this, would you not consider putting every dollar and all the man/women-power you can spare into getting the new KA-sat up and running ahead of schedule and working a deal for VOOM-21 while moving back some HD locals. D* will have the bandwidth advantage over E* by the end of the year. But once a customer signs with E* it is very hard to get them to switch over to D*. Here is what I see as far as a marketing standpoint. Use the new sat for VOOM, some others like ESPN2HD and starting Locals. Advertise that D* now has VOOM and others giving them the edge back and at the same time show that they are doing the locals too.
-scott

HDwonderer said:
Hey rickster,
Try this food for thought. What is said and what will happen can be two different things as we has seen in the past. Just follow this for a sec. D* put up one of the new ka-band sats for HD in April with more going up in the near future. These were to get the HD locals rebroadcast ASAP for key markets. At least that was the know intent before E*made the deal for Rainbow-1 and Voom-10/21. Keep following me here. D* is #1 right now and that is a spot they do not want to loose. With E adding VOOM -10 to it's lineup, D* lost the HD edge. D* is talking hard about the new sat in orbit (which goes online in a few mos) and E*'s edge over them right now with HD programing. Now if you were on there team and know this, would you not consider putting every dollar and all the man/women-power you can spare into getting the new KA-sat up and running ahead of schedule and working a deal for VOOM-21 while moving back some HD locals. D* will have the bandwidth advantage over E* by the end of the year. But once a customer signs with E* it is very hard to get them to switch over to D*. Here is what I see as far as a marketing standpoint. Use the new sat for VOOM, some others like ESPN2HD and starting Locals. Advertise that D* now has VOOM and others giving them the edge back and at the same time show that they are doing the locals too.
-scott

Yep, perfectly logical, makes sence, win-win for custumer and DTV, so we all know what that means, sigh!!!!!! :(

Playing the field

I have had D* for about 8 years, got VoOm in April. So now, VoOM is gone, so I am getting E*'s VoOM deal and will have a year of both D* and E* HD and when that year is up I will then decide who has their act together the most and cancel accordingly. It will cost me about $90 a month to have both for the last 6 months of that year, so it's not anymore than D* premier or E* with everything, but I will have a better selection of HD than just 1 or the other.

Update

here is the update to my first post.
follow this link for info on D* talking

Add this to what I sugested earlier and WOW!

-scott :clap

richard_rd said:
Yep, perfectly logical, makes sence, win-win for custumer and DTV, so we all know what that means, sigh!!!!!! :(

Why are you sad? From what I see D* has GREAT customer service is competitive in pricing simple program options, more exclusives, and on the for front of HD. This should wake up the market and put all program carriers in a run to gain HD market share which could reduce pricing in the market too. Could we hear al-la-cart?

So why the sigh?

-scott :confused:

THAT is the magic word....al-la-cart!! IF C-band AND Star and Expressvu in Canada can do it...I cannot see why D* and E* can't do it either....! I Also see that D* will have NO CHOICE but to offer a competative price for a LEASED HD DVR. Because IF both companies offer more or less the same HD content....and D* STILL does not offer a decently priced leased HD DVR, E* will STILL have the advantage. AND there are still VOOMERs out there that have yet to go to E* due to BOTH commitment issues and pricey HD DVR lease prices($250 upfront). Alot of VOOMERs like myself went with cable(adelphia) with a FREE HD DVR and NO COMMITMENT waiting to see what kinda move D* will make....and who knows...this will more than likely force the CABLE companies to do the same...so as much as I miss VOOM dearly, their demise has pushed the HD content battle to the forefront of competition among the TV entertainment providers....so in a way, lovers of HD like you, myself and many that come her have won a HUGE battle to push for more HD programming...

salsadancer7 said:
....so in a way, lovers of HD like you, myself and many that come her have won a HUGE battle to push for more HD programming...
So to paraphrase you, VOOM DBS had to die for HD to rise again. We're all better off now.

The Rumor I am hearing is NO way no how on Voom on Direct TV.

As Direct TV is owned in part by the same people that own part of FOX.

The rumor is Fox is planning there own Voom like HD package based on Fox programing.

There was some hits of this in there quarterly news conference a few quarters ago when they were talking about merging the Fox content onto packages on DirectTV.

We will see this summer, should be interesting.

ScottChez said:
There was some hits of this in there quarterly news conference a few quarters ago when they were talking about merging the Fox content onto packages on DirectTV.

Yes, and the first channel to come has already been announced for this Summer on DirecTV (and certain cable companies). However, it's only an SD channel showing reality TV shows.

~Alan

Scott....IF D* could have BOTH VOOM21 AND their own version of HD channels...and beat the competition.....you know they WILL have it! Beat the competition with their OWN channels....who would NOT jump at he chance...

salsadancer7 said:
Scott....IF D* could have BOTH VOOM21 AND their own version of HD channels...and beat the competition.....you know they WILL have it! Beat the competition with their OWN channels....who would NOT jump at he chance...

Salsadancer...now you are thinking like a marketing rep or VP at D*. It will take time for an idea like fox21 to be created so in the mean time there is only one choice or D* will fall so far behind it will take years to gain the lead again. kind of like AMD and Intel. AMD is just waiting for Intel to stumble.

All we need to do is think like we are on the board of directors at D* and the stock holders are knocking on the door. They need to be happy. There is one way and only one way to keep them happy without a down for 6mos-2 years.

-scott

All I know is if it takes too much time for Direct to add HD .... people that want HD are going to vote with their cash. How can you justify 10.99 for an HD pack that consists of 6 HD ch's. And missing TNTHD. Directv is far behind right now. Sending Sat's up better be for more than just adding local ch's in HD. Im a Direct sub and I will wait to see what they plan on adding ...but Directv should really think about responding to the Dish HD offer. This is not VOOM that they are going up against....this is their competition.

I am with you VINNY....more reason to think that D* HAS to make some kinda of move...and sometime very soon! Right now, E* has ALL the momentum going into the summer...and considering the way the industry is throwing around sub numbers in the tens of thousands on a monthly basis....that gap can close REAL fast....not to much, D* rising prices with yet NO NEW HD....they better do something fast....and good!

enoree said:
I have had D* for about 8 years, got VoOm in April. So now, VoOM is gone, so I am getting E*'s VoOM deal and will have a year of both D* and E* HD and when that year is up I will then decide who has their act together the most and cancel accordingly. It will cost me about $90 a month to have both for the last 6 months of that year, so it's not anymore than D* premier or E* with everything, but I will have a better selection of HD than just 1 or the other.

I'm playing the field as well. I've got both D* and E* up and running. I used to have all of the movie channels on E* - their entire lineup - and decided that if I delete the movie channels on E* I can just about pay for the D* monthly fee. Not quite, as there's still about a $20 to $25 per month differential plus $20 a month for Netflix to get movies.

But, I found that I could get both E* and D* without as much cost as I would have thought at first glance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)