Status
Not open for further replies.

shugo77

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 9, 2005
Heart of Dixie
I'm starting a saltwater aquarium and was wondering if anybody here has an opinion on the BEST reef keeping forum, you know, a forum full of helpful and frindly people like SatelliteGuys.:)

There are so many forums for the reef keeping hobby, it's crazy. I've registered with reefcentral.com, but was wondering if anybody thinks there is a better one out there.

Thanks!

Yeah I got out of the hobby as well.. I use to have a built in 300g tank.. 70+ coral.. 100+ fish.. it was fun, but a pain in the ass sometimes.. :)

I'm not sure online where good forums would be, but if you need any info feel free and ask.. maybe scott will make a Saltwater tank area for discussions.. :)

You might also want to find a regional or local reef club. Very handy for exchanging/swapping corals.

I got out of the hobby about a year ago. Too damned expensive!!!!

I'm finding the initial setup is extremely expensive if you do it right, which I am trying to do. I'm setting up a 55 Gallon reef, so far I've spent $700 on the aquarium, stand, lighting, pumps, skimmer, etc. Before I am able to add one fish I will have spent almost $1400 and two months of setup and research.

The expense is ok though, because it's fun and I need a hobby, I spend too much time on the computer and watching TV, I figure doing this will get me off of my a** more often without having to go outside in this killer Alabama heat, and it will make a nice piece for the living room, plus my 3 year old son can't wait to get a "Nemo" fish.

I still kick myself for buying rocks and sand. LOL $5 a pound for frigging cured rocks and $2/lb. for sand.

Started out with a small 29 gallon. Then moved to 85 gallon. Was in the middle of getting that set up and just lost the bug. It was like a switch was flipped.

At least I still have a reverse osmosis water setup under my sink that I still use for drinking water.

Also, one thing a lot of people forget, if you are prone to power outages, look into a small generator.

Just remember to take your time and do your research. When it comes to marine hobby, the price is huge but there is usually an alternative that is a lot cheaper.

A couple of instance. Aquarium Silicone sealant runs anywhere from $15-20 a tube depending on where you buy it. You can go down to Home Depot and get GE Silicon II for around $5. Must be Silicone II as it doesn't contain Amonia.

If you want to save money this is a good page.

Van's Reef Page - Intro

Lot of do-it yourself items that are usually high dollar. Oscilating nozzles, Calcium reactors, top-off set ups.

Also, if you are not in a huge hurry, look at man-made live rock. You can make your own shapes and on the cheap. What takes the most time is curing them after they are made.

mmliverock1

I knew two people into salt water aquariums, both well off. They got out of the hobby. It was too expensive for them. :rolleyes:

One thing you can do to offset the costs is to get on part time with an aquarium shop or do side work for them such as come in and clean tanks in exchange for product, I did this for a year and set up a 60 gallon pretty well with about 100lbs of rock and another in live sand plus fish and inverts and other things. Wet dry is your best filtering option unless you can set up a plenum filter but there are other options that are less than desireable such as canister filters and hang on set ups. Some people set up a mud filter but I havent seen one in action yet, its basicly like a saltwater marsh is what Ive heard.

Write into a couple of the hobbyist magazines for recommendations for online forums and check with the local shops to. As has been suggested find some local groups wich there are generaly 1 - 3 per moderate to large city and get involved, its nice to have an experienced hobbyist living close by that can come over on a sunday to tell you why your hearing a clicking noise in your tank and how its related to some of your damsels having holes punched in them.

Reefcentral.com

I started out with a 140g reef tank a few years back with full automation and wave motion and all, cost me over $10,000 just to set it up, and lasted only 6 months, after we suddenly decided to move. The whole thing was custome bulit into the wall, had to be taken down. I actually feel fortunate that I had to take it down, the on-going maintenance cost and time spent were killing me.

I have a saltwater fish only tank now, with custom faux coral design looks almost real, but this second time I designed my setup with only one thing in mind, ease of use and minimum time needed. It has been over three years, I hardly spent time on it because the system is self-sustained ecosystem. I figured after the first experience, the only way I would ever be able to keep another tank was if I did not have to spend much time and money on it:) So far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.