Any software/codec to read data on USB HDD?

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I want to be able to watch the movies I have on the external HDD but The receiver seems to need a sat signal to allow access to it. Is there any software or other way to watch these?

Have you tried the menu button to get to recordings? Otherwise, No.

If the receiver does not have a sat signal the USB drive does not show up. I can watch the stuff on the HDD in the receiver though.

So I was curious if any software had the right codec to play the stuff from another source. I can see the data on the computer ... but to play it???

The videos on the hard drive are encrypted and can only be viewed on a compatible Dish receiver that is on your account. They cannot be viewed any other way. It's also conceivable that the authorization code for the external USB HDD comes from the satellite and must be present to use the EHD. This would be similar to the XM satellite radio in that the receiver authorization code is transmitted continuously, or periodically, in order to receive the XM broadcasts on that receiver.

Do a google search with what you want and either the word hack or phrack.
Sorry, I won't give the name out because it is really illegal stuff. but I will say this.
You have to place the harddrive inside your pc to read it.
Then let your pc and this proggie decrypt the drive.(takes 6 - 10 hours).
But your still not finished.!
Once decrypted doesn't mean playable, it means all the code has been turned into hexadecimal code.
So now you have to read thru the code and find the parts of the video you want and copy and past the code into another proggie.
This other proggie will then combine the hexadecimal code and convert it to a playable MPG file.( this part takes about 3 hours for 1 hour of video).

Also, the first step also requires you to bring up your computer in DOS without windows. So you do have to know dos.

In reality it is about 6 hours of conversion time for every 1 hour of video on a 3.75ghz system with 8GB of memory. Add a couple of extra hours for each Ghz under this.

Is it worth it?
For the technical learning, yes.
For the video itself, HELL NO! It would be cheaper and faster to just go and buy the disc at a place like gohastings.

But phracking stuff up is a fun way to learn about the inner workings of things.

We lost our signal yesterday due to snow build up. We watched both the EHD and the internal hard drive with no problem. As stated, you may have to hit the menu button and now and then it fails to see the EHD but clicks in after next attempt...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts