Any way to control volume of my receiver via the hopper, using the remote??

Opto_isolator

Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Orlando FL
The Dish anywhere app uses HDMI-CEC to change the volume of my Yamaha receiver. However, I can't seem to figure out how to do this via the hopper remote. I would prefer to go this route since the hopper remote is RF vs IR, and it is much easier to control using RF.

The Dish anywhere app uses HDMI-CEC to change the volume of my Yamaha receiver. However, I can't seem to figure out how to do this via the hopper remote. I would prefer to go this route since the hopper remote is RF vs IR, and it is much easier to control using RF.

I believe the remote has both IR and UHF capabilities. And yes, you can "lock" the volume control to your AVR by going into the Remote menu in Settings

Reactions: charlesrshell
I tried that - but it doesn't appear to function via RF, only via IR. I wish the menu and programming were simpler. When it's set to the TV (instead of the AVR), it adjusts the AVR via HDMI, but still uses IR. When set to AVR, it controls the AVR directly, but doesn't use the RF / HDMI through the hopper....

I tried that - but it doesn't appear to function via RF, only via IR. I wish the menu and programming were simpler. When it's set to the TV (instead of the AVR), it adjusts the AVR via HDMI, but still uses IR. When set to AVR, it controls the AVR directly, but doesn't use the RF / HDMI through the hopper....
Do you think your problem might be that your AVR doesn't respond to radio waves only to infra red?

No - you don't get it. I am trying to control the volume of the AVR THROUGH HDMI via the hopper....it has nothing to do if the AVR uses IR or RF. The Dish Anywhere app does this, but I can't seem to get the Hopper remote to function the same way.

Yeah that is what I am starting to realize. What's the point of offering CEC on the hopper if you can't control the volume as well using the remote? It's so much easier to not have line of site of the receiver than using IR....I only wish more manufactures included some form of RF in their equipment. I don't want to buy a Logitech Harmony...

Yeah that is what I am starting to realize. What's the point of offering CEC on the hopper if you can't control the volume as well using the remote? It's so much easier to not have line of site of the receiver than using IR....I only wish more manufactures included some form of RF in their equipment. I don't want to buy a Logitech Harmony...
Logitech has the supply and demand thing down.

Assuming your AVR is connected to the CEC/ARC enabled port on your TV, if your Hopper is connected to the TV it will not be able to transmit the CEC/ARC signal to the AVR because most TVs only have one CEC/ARC enabled port. Same goes for the AVR, very few have more than one CEC/ARC enabled port.

It is very doubtful that the DA app is controlling the volume, more likely is the remote you use to manage DA also can control the TV volume which via CEC/ARC is transmitted to the AVR, try configuring your Hopper remote to control the TV volume and see if that works.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts