any way to get an IR extender working with a dish 612?

kmfdm515

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
MI
hi guys,

i am trying to get a logitech harmony remote working with my dish 612 via an IR extender. i can't even get as far as introducing the harmony to my setup, though, because i can't seem to get the dish 612 to work with any IR extender even with the stock remote.

First thing I did was switch the dish 612 remote from UHF to IR (using remote address 1). works fine.

then i grabbed this IR extender:

Terk Technologies LF-IRX Leapfrog Remote Control Extender
41CMgGEwlKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

(sorry can't post URLs yet)

and it would only work about 10% of the time at best when sending commands to the 612 with the stock remote.

then i bought this one that got better reviews:

Next Generation Remote Control Extender
41EMD2XCX8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and i noticed that it would work fine when sending commands to the TV (light blinked and command sent successfully) but nothing sent to the 612 would work (no light even blinked to show reception of a signal). switched the extender from channel A to B - same thing.

so my next course of action was to switch the 612 remote address. for some reason i can only switch it from remote address 1 and 9. it will not let me use 2-8. 1 and 9 both control the 612 directly, but will not send commands to the extender.

any ideas? i'm going crazy here...

Dish's receivers are VERY IR sensitive, and there's a good chance that the extender is overdriving the sensor. Several people have had good luck by placing a piece of black electrical tape over the sensor with just a tiny hole in it to allow the IR light through. Give it a try; it's cheap enough.

Why not spend twenty bucks on a dish 21.0 remote, which is fully programmable, instead of fifty bucks on a janky ir extender?
because i already mentioned i have a logitech harmony? i have no desire to use a dish 21.0 remote.

Dish's receivers are VERY IR sensitive, and there's a good chance that the extender is overdriving the sensor. Several people have had good luck by placing a piece of black electrical tape over the sensor with just a tiny hole in it to allow the IR light through. Give it a try; it's cheap enough.
interesting...thanks for the tip. i'll give it a shot tomorrow.

just to clarify, you mean place the tape over the sensor on the front of the 612 receiver?

thanks...

one thing though - this doesn't explain why the 612 remote won't even send the 612 signal correctly to the extender. if i take them both in another separate room...still no lights on the extender confirming a signal, unlike when a send a TV command from the 612 remote...

Last edited:
Perhaps the remote IR unit is a bit weak, which is why the receiver is sensitive? I don't know. My 6.3 UHF remote is actually better at controlling my TV than the remote that came with my TV, which seems to contradict my hypothesis.

Are you using rechargeable batteries? Maybe switching to a fresh set of alkalines would help?

Harmony remotes don't play well with IR extenders. Check the Amazon reviews, you'll see its a common problem.

Perhaps the remote IR unit is a bit weak, which is why the receiver is sensitive? I don't know. My 6.3 UHF remote is actually better at controlling my TV than the remote that came with my TV, which seems to contradict my hypothesis.

Are you using rechargeable batteries? Maybe switching to a fresh set of alkalines would help?
the thing is, i can grab the 612 remote, point it at the IR extender, press a button for the TV volume, and the IR extender lights up - signal received.

if i do the same thing but press a button for the 612 guide (or anything else sent to the 612) - no light, no signal.

it is not dependant on the IR receiver of the end device, because the extender light confirms a signal sent for the TV even when nothing is even in the same room as the TV.

the only conclusion i can come to is that something is up with the signals that are being sent out to the 612 - for some reason the IR extender simply will not pick them up..

i already stated that i can't even get as far as using the harmony yet...
Well, I can't address your current problem, but if and when you get it resolved, you are not going to be able to use the harmony. I have the Next Gen and my Harmony is useless with it. Fortunately, I found another application for the Next Gen using the Dish remote.

I agree with you; this is making no sense. Are you absolutely positively sure the Dish UHF/pro 6.3 remote is in IR-only mode? I am also wondering if you have a wonky 6.3, because you should be able to set any of the remote addresses. I have definitely used address 2, but I can't remember trying any of the others you mentioned. There is also an esoteric way of setting the address to values above 9, but I don't recall that method off the top of my head.

I agree with you; this is making no sense. Are you absolutely positively sure the Dish UHF/pro 6.3 remote is in IR-only mode? I am also wondering if you have a wonky 6.3, because you should be able to set any of the remote addresses. I have definitely used address 2, but I can't remember trying any of the others you mentioned. There is also an esoteric way of setting the address to values above 9, but I don't recall that method off the top of my head.
we might be onto something here: i'm using my 5.3 IR remote with the 612 set to IR mode - that's how it was set up on installation when i told the tech i planned on using a harmony with it. everything controls fine on the 612 with it...

would it make a difference to switch to the 6.3 i have? how do you set the 6.3 to IR only mode?

I just Dish'd Up two 612s so this is fresh in my mind. Because of all the other receivers in the house including a 625 and 722 with TV1 configured for UHF, I decided I didn't want to fiddle with the 612's in UHF mode at all. They come with UHF/Pro 6.3 remotes set to UHF mode. Following directions, pulled up the System Info screen. Then I pulled out the key, flipped it over to the grey side, and reinserted it. Then I hit the Record button, and voila. IR mode on the receiver. I have heard no reports of spurious channel/changing from either bedroom, so I believe they (the receivers) are indeed in IR-only mode. That's also what they say in the System Info screen.

I just did that with my 6.3 (grey side of the key up, hit record in system info screen) and the 612 says 'IR/UHF' mode. i know it's still using UHF, though, because i can still control the 612 in the next room...

I have the Terk IR extender you show in picture #1 and it works fine for me all the time. I use it to control a JVC DVD player, a JVC VCR, and a Radio Shack Amplifier. I also have my 722 in the same stack, but I'm using a UHF remote, so the 722 has both the IR and the UHF signal, so I can't prove (yet) the IR works for the Dish equipment.

But here is my main point: Is the Terk product really bad, or is it just the victim of extremely poor, non-intuitive design? For instance, the IR sensor is on the side edge of the box. You would think by looking at it that you want to face the square side with the Terk logo towards the remote, but not so. You have to look carefully and you will see the IR sensor on one edge, this is the edge you should face into the room towards where you point the remote. Likewise, the IR sender you place near your controlled equipment is also on one side edge of the box, so this also should point edge-on to your equipment.

I'm just curious if you did those things when you set the Terk up?

I just did that with my 6.3 (grey side of the key up, hit record in system info screen) and the 612 says 'IR/UHF' mode.
Huh. Mine says "IR" only. I did nudge the slide switch under the key a little, before snapping the key in all the way...

the terk was working (fairly) well when i had a dish 722 and was using a harmony remote with it. i switched to the 612 to allow another receiver in the house, and it hasn't worked well since regardless of which remote i try. i tried to point the edge towards the remote and receiver...it is just to hit and miss. i can get it to work if i hold it up in the air, or put my hand on it, but no matter what position it ends up in or where the antennae is, it stops working reliably as soon as i set it down.

Huh. Mine says "IR" only. I did nudge the slide switch under the key a little, before snapping the key in all the way...
hmmm...does this have anything to do with the A/B setting where the battery goes???

does this have anything to do with the A/B setting where the battery goes???
Don't know for sure, but I believe that switch switches UHF frequencies. So it should not have anything to do with IR ops.

The switch I was referring to was the slider beneath the key. Notice different keys (or the same key upside down) have a notch in different locations. That notch is supposed to slide the switch to the appropriate location to set it to the mode you want.

Don't know for sure, but I believe that switch switches UHF frequencies. So it should not have anything to do with IR ops.

The switch I was referring to was the slider beneath the key. Notice different keys (or the same key upside down) have a notch in different locations. That notch is supposed to slide the switch to the appropriate location to set it to the mode you want.
ah...black side up is IR only for me (despite saying 'UHF Pro' on it).

thanks for the help...more testing to be done :p

hi guys,

i am trying to get a logitech harmony remote working with my dish 612 via an IR extender. i can't even get as far as introducing the harmony to my setup, though, because i can't seem to get the dish 612 to work with any IR extender even with the stock remote.

First thing I did was switch the dish 612 remote from UHF to IR (using remote address 1). works fine.

then i grabbed this IR extender:

Terk Technologies LF-IRX Leapfrog Remote Control Extender
41CMgGEwlKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

(sorry can't post URLs yet)

and it would only work about 10% of the time at best when sending commands to the 612 with the stock remote.

then i bought this one that got better reviews:

Next Generation Remote Control Extender
41EMD2XCX8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and i noticed that it would work fine when sending commands to the TV (light blinked and command sent successfully) but nothing sent to the 612 would work (no light even blinked to show reception of a signal). switched the extender from channel A to B - same thing.

so my next course of action was to switch the 612 remote address. for some reason i can only switch it from remote address 1 and 9. it will not let me use 2-8. 1 and 9 both control the 612 directly, but will not send commands to the extender.

any ideas? i'm going crazy here...

The reason why the Terk extender didn't work is because it kills the IR signal going into the receiver.

Your best option is to call Dish and order an IR-UHF Remote kit. I just did this and it works better than anything else I have ever used and best part was that it only cost around $40. To get this you need to call DISH directly and do not go through a local person because they usually do not sell or know about this product, and the ones that do usually will charge you an extra $20 than Dish would.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)