any way to get an IR extender working with a dish 612?

i appreciate all the replies everyone.

so after swithing the 6.3 to IR only mode...pretty much the same thing, except now i can't change the remote address from address 2 at all. no idea why.

The reason why the Terk extender didn't work is because it kills the IR signal going into the receiver.

Your best option is to call Dish and order an IR-UHF Remote kit. I just did this and it works better than anything else I have ever used and best part was that it only cost around $40. To get this you need to call DISH directly and do not go through a local person because they usually do not sell or know about this product, and the ones that do usually will charge you an extra $20 than Dish would.
is this:

IR-to-UHF Remote Control Upgrade Kit* for DISH 301 These models include Echostar, Dish Network, JVC and HTS. Models 2200,3200,4000,4500,4700,4900,5000, DISH 301

what you're describing? from the description it sounds like it allows a UHF remote to control an IR receiver...wouldn't I need the exact opposite if I'm going to use a Harmony (IR remote) to control my dish 612 via UHF?

so after swithing the 6.3 to IR only mode...pretty much the same thing, except now i can't change the remote address from address 2 at all. no idea why.
One of the suggested remedies on the first page of this thread was to obscure the IR sensor on the receiver. Is it still obscured? Other than that, I'm running out of ideas.

OK, I had another idea. :eureka I have seen a number of reports of interference between IR remotes and receivers resulting from broadband IR noise coming out of certain LCD TVs. Is there an LCD TV in a position such that it's emissions can enter the receiver's sensor? Even via a bounce off a nearby wall or furniture?

Well, ho ho. I am just a fount of ideas today. ;) If you are temporarily testing your IR extender with both it's receiver and sender in the same room, couldn't you get into the IR-equivalent of audio feedback?

Last edited:
i appreciate all the replies everyone.

is this:

IR-to-UHF Remote Control Upgrade Kit* for DISH 301 These models include Echostar, Dish Network, JVC and HTS. Models 2200,3200,4000,4500,4700,4900,5000, DISH 301

what you're describing? from the description it sounds like it allows a UHF remote to control an IR receiver...wouldn't I need the exact opposite if I'm going to use a Harmony (IR remote) to control my dish 612 via UHF?

Yes you are correct that is what you would need, but unfortunately there is no product like this. While searching the internet for this I have found that many people have had this problem and have had no luck in fixing it. Since the Harmony is only IR there is nothing out there to convert its signal to UHF

One of the suggested remedies on the first page of this thread was to obscure the IR sensor on the receiver. Is it still obscured? Other than that, I'm running out of ideas.

OK, I had another idea. :eureka I have seen a number of reports of interference between IR remotes and receivers resulting from broadband IR noise coming out of certain LCD TVs. Is there an LCD TV in a position such that it's emissions can enter the receiver's sensor? Even via a bounce off a nearby wall or furniture?

Well, ho ho. I am just a fount of ideas today. ;) If you are temporarily testing your IR extender with both it's receiver and sender in the same room, couldn't you get into the IR-equivalent of audio feedback?
thanks for the ideas...but i've taken the remote and the extender to the other side of the house just to test it previously...still can get a signal intended to go to the 612.

the frustrating thing about all this is that i know the Terk extender can transmit the signal...it's just such a POS that it only works when i'm holding it and tilting it a certain way, and even then not reliably.

i wish i just knew of an extender that was similar to the Terk, but better.

even more frustrating...assuming i will find no solution and have wasted my $ on a logitech harmony, i am just using the 6.3 remote via UHF...and i can't get it to control my samsung 32a650! *sigh*

I recommend that you run down the interference idea. Your trouble with the IR remote not working at all, or not working reliably, or not able to set the receiver onto different channel numbers, all point to a shakey IR link. Or a half-dead remote!

In this case, interference can happen not only will the IR sensor on the receiver getting smashed by broadband IR noise coming from many TVs, but also with the extender's IR sensor unit. All that's doing is attempting to repeat it's input at the other end. GIGO.

Did you have the Terk receiver/sensor anywhere near an LCD TV?

even more frustrating...assuming i will find no solution and have wasted my $ on a logitech harmony, i am just using the 6.3 remote via UHF...and i can't get it to control my samsung 32a650! *sigh*
...which brings me back to the 20.0/21.0 learning remote. Mine's on it's way. :)

Hey guys,

First post!

I just ordered a Logitech Harmony One and a Hot Link XL IR booster system. It should be here in a few days.

The Hot Link Pro and XL have extremely high reviews on Amazon so I am taking the chance that it will work correctly with the Harmony One and 2 - Dish 722's. (I ordered an extra emitter kit to work the equipment in my cabinet and the remote area as well).

I am very eager to see how this works as they claim they don't have an issue with LCD screens or Plasma noise (I have both). I may have to add an extra eye to control a second tv, but will wait to see how well this all works. I am trying to cut down on remote clutter with the Harmony and having to switch between HDM1 and HDMI2 and TV60 all the time.

i figure i eliminated any interference issues by taking the remote+extender(s) setup upstairs and trying it with my other 612 - no luck.

so i am about out of options...but here's a thought: all i'm trying to do is go through a wall. the Dish 612 is literally right behind the lcd tv i am watching.

are there any wired IR extenders that i might be able to use, going through the wall?

edit: i found a couple wired IR extenders...they're all like $100??? isn't there a cheaper solution?

Last edited:
i figure i eliminated any interference issues by taking the remote+extender(s) setup upstairs and trying it with my other 612 - no luck.
But with similar setups, e.g. a flat panel TV nearby each 612, why would this be a valid test? If IR noise is swamping the IR sensor of the extender OR the 612, then you would get the poor results you are getting. You have to eliminate the source(s) of the noise, or else shield all the sensors from it. Turning off all flat panel TVs near either your 612 or your extender should do the trick. Assuming it's your TVs. Obviously that's not going to work for your final configuration, but it should suffice for the test.

But with similar setups, e.g. a flat panel TV nearby each 612, why would this be a valid test? If IR noise is swamping the IR sensor of the extender OR the 612, then you would get the poor results you are getting. You have to eliminate the source(s) of the noise, or else shield all the sensors from it. Turning off all flat panel TVs near either your 612 or your extender should do the trick. Assuming it's your TVs. Obviously that's not going to work for your final configuration, but it should suffice for the test.
nope, CRT upstairs that wasn't even on.

just seems like this extender will not work with a dish 612.

wired IR repeater doesn;t work either.

this dish 612 is just a giant POS that won't work with any IR entending/repeating stuff. is it because it's UHF+IR?

who knows. damn it.

nope, CRT upstairs that wasn't even on.
That would presumably eliminate interference going into the repeater. But it would not eliminate interference going into the receiver itself.

Can you summarize again what works and doesn't work? Does the Dish IR remote work w/o problem? If not, then there is some other source of IR interference in the room, or else you have a defective receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)