Any Way to Salvage 211 EHD Recordings before Hopper Install?

cdiddy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
Denver
Hi All,

My Hopper/Joey install is scheduled for tomorrow morning. It is replacing a 722K and two 211s. One of the 211s has an EHD attached, and has some recordings I HAVE to keep (i.e., the last two episodes of Walking Dead, and the series finale of Chuck. Both of which I haven't had time to watch yet).

Is there any possible way for me to keep the recordings on the 211 EHD watchable after my Joey/Hopper upgrade tomorrow morning?

I'm open to any and all ideas! Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am guessing since you can't move an EHD from a 211k to a 722k and view recordings, it will be the same with the hopper, the 211k is using it as a dvr drive and not for archiving like the hopper and 722, so they are setup differently and most likely incompatible.

No way other than some kind of computer software and some hacking maybe. Why don't you just watch those episodes online?

Edit: You can play those recording live and transfer onto a DVD recorder.

Egads! First, thanks for all of the replies. Looks like I'm out of luck, as I won't have time to track down an external DVR to copy prior to my install tomorrow. Walking dead i should be able to get Roku, but I think Chuck will be tougher. May have to do that one via iTunes.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Time to start begging for forgiveness from the wife.

Egads! First, thanks for all of the replies. Looks like I'm out of luck, as I won't have time to track down an external DVR to copy prior to my install tomorrow. Walking dead i should be able to get Roku, but I think Chuck will be tougher. May have to do that one via iTunes.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Time to start begging for forgiveness from the wife.
You don't have a VCR collecting dust somewhere? Not the best PQ but it will do in a pinch.

Along those lines I'm in a similar situation. I have not upgraded to a Hopper system yet, but have a 722k with a Western Digital EHD which I'm told (hopefully) will not be a problem getting to work with the Hopper. So far I can also move recordings from my 612 to the 722 EHD as well so that's a good thing.

My question is if there is a way using Linux or something to copy the recordings from the 211 EHD to the 722k EHD (or another 722k formatted EHD). Not trying to break any copyright laws or playback on a PC. Just get the many movies and shows I haven't had a chance to watch yet on the 211 EHD to a 722 formatted drive to bring into the Hopper system. The 211 is "my DVR" for the home theater!

If I old school it and wait to upgrade until all the content is watched then I'm thinking I can upgrade in oh, 4 or 5 months. :D From what I see and hear about the Hopper system I do not want to wait that long! Plus it will help keep the peace in the family with recording conflicts, etc...

Any creative advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would spend the time watching and then in 4 to 5 months the Hopper may have even more features (like integration, or OTA support) than they do now.

I know, I know, enough with the optimistic crazy talk...

The Walking Dead (you can't miss the last two episodes!) is on iTunes and Chuck, I don't know about... May not be the answer you need, but it is an alternative.

Scott

Dish Hopper/Joey IR issue -- No independent control

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts