Anybody here have any brand loyalty?

3 3/4 inches between the Min and Max marks on the ones I use. And you can adjust the gizmo up and down in the clamp. I've never used the WiFi capability other than to see if it worked.

Most of the comparisons/ratings I've read gave the Joule top marks. I didn't like the app requirement so never tried one.

I bought the Nano when it was introduced because they were claiming the app would be able to control multiple devices at the same time which sounded interesting. Didn't notice the fixed clamp in the ads. They never added the multiple device functionality to the app so it was a waste anyway. This was years ago.

I still Sous Vide 2-3 times a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
Well, Studebakers, of course, and Newman's organic k cups. Best coffee for the money!

Reactions: TheKrell
Apple, mostly because they understand integrating hardware and software, much as Digital did in the 1970s. TVs, I was a Sony (One and Only) person, but I have shifted to LG OLED lately. Cars, hard to say, but my last two Ford Motor Company products have been worth the money. I've had Toyota, Honda, AMC, GM, and Audi before that. Stereos, I used to be a huge Yamaha fan, then Nakamichi, but now Denon has taken over that position.

Printers? HP. Speakers? Polk Audio. Reusable Orbital Launch Vehicles? SpaceX, of course! ;)

I used to be a huge Yamaha fan
I still am after buying my first CD player from them. I believe it was the CDX-2000 which introduced an 18-bit 4X oversampling DAC. I thought very highly of their 3-beam laser until I read some technical papers explaining why 1 beam was actually better. :(
Introduced for the first time, High Bit Digital achieved a total of 16x resolution through a combination of the 18-bit 4x oversampling High Bit Digital Filter and 18-bit Operation D/A Convertor offering 18-bit operation with floating point processing by 16-bit DAC. Taking advantage of this resolution with 0.4dB steps and 120dB pure digital volume dynamic range, it was a highly realistic and simple system with direct connection to the power amplifier. Commercialization of the world’s first CD Player with more than 16-bit precision was the result of Yamaha’s in-house development and manufacturing of all digital processing LSIs including the digital filter, and this model sparked the later high-bit arms race that saw competing multi-bit DAC specifications throughout the audio industry. While high-bit dramatically improved the sound clarity of minute level signals, it was also susceptible to disturbances like digital noise and mechanical vibrations. Great progress was made in this area by the use of radiation and resonance countermeasures including a separate sheet design to make the separate analog/digital power supplies and circuit stages fully independent, a high rigidity chassis with thick aluminum top cover and double bottom, and a floating mount CD mechanism. As a result the new unit weighed 15kg, nearly double that of the previous CD-2000 model.
cdx-2200_fig_222c59ffa23edcd619b2e9e23515f28d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat
I had the Yamaha A-1 Integrated Amp and T-1 Tuner combo in the late 1970s/early 1980s that had the Disc button to eliminate a lot of the signal processing path from Phono preamp to the speakers, and it was DC-coupled to boot, if I remember correctly.
1637509794869.jpeg1637511596667.jpeg

Last edited:
I even bought a couple of Yamaha sound cards for my PCs because their midi rendering engine was fantastic. It may have used samples; I don't remember for sure.

Reactions: Foxbat
I did have a Yamaha DX-100 mini synthesizer that used the FM synthesis method of reproducing musical instrument. I ended up selling it to a coworker who had a band as he was more talented than I ever was and put it to much better use.

If you were to walk into my house you would see a lot of devices made by (or at least branded by) the same hand full of companies. My philosophy has always been, I’ll continue to buy from a company until they give me a reason not to.

HP – Desktops, Laptops, Printers, Monitors, Keyboards, Mice, Flash Drives
(Desktops and Laptops are Intel CPUs, Nvidia GPUs, WD or Intel SSDs only)
Sony – TVs, A/V Receivers, CD/DVD/BD Players, Cameras, Camcorders, Voice Recorders, Speakers
APC – UPS Battery Backups, Surge Protector Power Strips, Multiple Outlet Adaptors, A/V Power Center
Cisco – Wired Routers, Wireless Access Points, Managed Switches
StarTech – Every HDMI Cable, Display Port Cable, CAT6A Ethernet Cable, USB Cable, Hard Drive Dock and various adaptor
Western Digital – SATA and NVMe SSDs, 2 and 4 Bay NAS’, USB HDDs and SSDs, SanDisk Extreme Pro SD and Micro SD Cards
Pelican – Cases, Duffel Bags, Tactical Flashlights

Vehicles – Ford only. Been a Ford family since the ‘40s, no plans to break that tradition.
Clothes – Rebook mostly. Because I’m extremely fat, and their sizes tend to run big.
Batteries – Duracell usually. We provide Procell AA, D cell and 2032s with the equipment we build at work, and can get them at or near cost for personal use through the company account.
Shipping – UPS typically. Despite having friends and family that work for FedEx, too many bad experiences.

Although It’s limited to just two desks and one office chair at the moment, Serta and Bush Furniture. Both are somewhat local companies to me, with each having factories a mile apart from each other in Jamestown, NY. My two desks are from Bush, my office chair is Serta. When I get a new mattress and box spring set next year it will be Serta

Companies not allowed in my house: Apple, AMD, Mars, Inc/The Wrigley Company, anything associated with Elon Musk

• Sad
Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)