Anyone have more info on the 942s usb 2.0 HD backup feature?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
I was most impressed by this feature as it was discussed on this past Monday's "Tech Forum". The ability to have a 500GB usb 2.0 hard drive hooked up to the 942 upon which to offload/onload HD DVR recordings is fantastic imho. Really goes a long way to circumvent the elimination of firewire for archiving to D-VHS. I've only had my 942 for a couple of weeks and I'm already worrying about filling it up/erasing recordings to keep room.

So, anyone have further details...i.e. the approved HD list the guys talked about, or an estimated date when the feature will be activated via software update, etc.?

That would be very useful. I received a replacement 942 yesterday and wish I could save what is recorded on the original 942. I am sure E* is expecting me to swap these units asap.

MichaelG said:
That would be very useful. I received a replacement 942 yesterday and wish I could save what is recorded on the original 942.
I believe each box will only be able to play back whatever it recorded to the external disk. So, it won't help in case of swapping boxes. The new box will not be able to read the content recorded by another box: I think encryption is box-specific.

Now after that interruption.....

Something happened and apparently no one could post for few minutes....Scott G fixed it.

Ilya, any idea when this will be available? Will this feature be included in a future update?

Its only real when its working on your box.

They talk a lot on the chats, but as we have learned the hard way, Dish Network is a lot of talk and really short on action.

I have seen a beta of the Multi media stuff though, and that does exist.

riffjim4069 said:
After 12 days of using the 942, I calculate that I will need at least 100 terabytes of hard disk storage to keep me happy. :)

I am working on making my HR10-250 a petabyte unit ... but StorageTek asked to run my credit :( so I guess I'll have to wait. Can you imagine an HR10-250,000,000,000,000,000 (or the 942 equivlant) !!!!

Perhaps they can program the numbers to the replacement reciever to allow it to work with the hard drive that you was using. They could also issue a cd with the codes needed to playback those shows from the hard drive or transmit codes to the recieves to allow them to put those shows onto the same hard drive.

Walter L. said:
Is this feature for real?
It's already a reality with SA 8300HD DVR used by many cable companies...
Though the 8300 uses SATA interface, not USB.

Questions on superdish/hd installation and 942 receiver

customer 3 yrs ago cant get current promo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)