anyone have multiroom dvr yet

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
My local installer hasn't heard anything about the multi-room box. Not saying its not here yet, but in my area its not. Heck, they still aren't doing TV installs here yet.

-John

korsjs said:
they have the multi room how to video in the on demand section now. they also have a media manager video as well.

found the website, but it gives no indication of the price. wondering if anyone has multiroom yet. i am going to call tomorrow and find out if i can order.

http://www22.verizon.com/pages/multiroomdvr/?LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=FMDV1&PromoSrcCode=V&POEId=VU1SP

They told me the multi-room DVR was still in the testing phase and wasn't available to customers. Anybody been told differently?

just got off the phone with them as well. was told same texasag above, still in testing.

said same as longhorn, software update will do it. did not say anything about cost.

suprised they would have the how to video and a website promoting it and it is not currently available because it is still being tested.

any new dates that you got on the release longhorn?

korsjs said:
just got off the phone with them as well. was told same texasag above, still in testing.

said same as longhorn, software update will do it. did not say anything about cost.

suprised they would have the how to video and a website promoting it and it is not currently available because it is still being tested.

any new dates that you got on the release longhorn?

You will need to order Multiroom DVR service but it won't cost extra but you will need to add this information to your account as it must be triggered and turned on. They don't want to turn it on for everyone as many customers might delete a recording without meaning to that another member of the household wanted which in turn would lead to more customer calls claiming a recording didn't record when it did and this in turn would lead to troubleshooting for an issue that doesn't exist. So they will allow customers in the know how to add it to their account and later they will have inserts in the bill telling customers what it is and how it works along with online information about it along with flash demos showing how it works.

Also the website information about multiroom viewing was posted in error but they see no point in taking it down as nearly all TV customers will be getting software updates between now and the end of the month. They plan to allow all customers the ability to add this ability onto their account on June 1st as long as final testing goes as planned.

LonghornXP said:
You will need to order Multiroom DVR service but it won't cost extra but you will need to add this information to your account as it must be triggered and turned on.
So is it going to be a selective software upgrade, or will everyone be upgraded but just not activiated until they call?

BTW, what Moto box do they use for the non-DVR HD box? They only list 2 on their website (HD-DVR and SD).

-John

the video says it will work with their other boxes. i am assuming it will be able to transmit hd to the regular hd box. from the video, the software looks just like you have a pvr on your other box. same menu as the pvr one. it will just access the recording from the main box.

All boxes will work with multiroom viewing. The DVR box (they only offer one which is an HD DVR but it can also be set to function as an SD DVR box too) is the only box that will be used as a sever box as its the only because that can serve content. The basic HD box and the basic digital box will both be able to playback content recorded on the server(s) and of course the HD DVR boxes can also function as both a server and client too.

Any HD content recorded on the HD DVR can be played back in full HDTV on another HD DVR or the HD box. Any recorded HD content will be converted to SDTV widescreen letterbox on an HD DVR set up in SDTV mode and on a basic digital box.

The software updates will be downloaded to all three types of boxes but you will have to call to activate the multiroom service. They just send a signal to the box saying it can now use these features. Again I've been told that no new hardware is needed (not at the CO, in the field nor in your house) for this to work just a phone call. Again DVR service won't change in price if you add multiroom DVR service. I've been told that if prices changed at all the current DVR price would become the multiroom DVR price while a non multiroom DVR service would be less but that is very unlikely to happen as they feel it will confuse people too much. They will just have one price for the DVR box no matter how you use it. You can be sure that they will advertising the heck out of multiroom viewing.

I've also been told that in a few weeks all FIOS TV customers will have online access to their TV accounts where they can do the following below.

View, manage and pay their bills.
Add, remove or change their services. So you can go online and enable multiroom viewing without a phone call in the future.

You will also from what I hear be able to view a program guide that you can access from any internet connection in the world and also view what recordings you have recorded, what you have scheduled, how much room is left and last but not least you can schedule recordings from the web. I'm also told that customers can also delete actual recordings or delete scheduled recordings from any internet connection.

What is even better is that in the future as long as your using a broadband connection that is over 1Mbps down they will allow you to stream your recorded shows right from your box. They cannot be downloaded and the stream is DRM protected on the fly and you can only access playback via your user account area. They also plan to use the media manager software to allow all computers connected to their router to transfer recorded shows onto your computer and convert them into formats for playback on the PSP, iPod and Tivo boxes. I'm also hearing that they are working on software to allow you to burn a copy onto a DVD for playback on any DVD player but be aware that these DVD disks will have a watermark so if you pirate them by ripping the DVD that watermark will contain your account number and they have special software to extract that information but the information is ignored by all computers and DVD players on purpose.

I'm just warning you about what is being done but they do want to allow you to make fair use copies while also protecting the movie studios with tracking ability. If you don't pirate the movie online by ripping it you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Also the benefit to this is that any DD5.1 tracks will also be copied onto the DVD too. Also once HD DVD and blueray burners come about in computers they will also support burning HD content to these drives and discs.

You guys have quite a bit to look forward too.

Thanks Longhorn, I always look forward to your info.

Any word on the "6-tuner DVR"? Will this ever happen or was it always just a misunderstanding?

The thing that's keeping me from switching to FIOS TV right now (aside from the fact it would cost me $10-20 more than my current D* plan) is that the DVR's only hold 85 hours or so. I was hoping for something more in the 150-200 hour range in order to make multi-room viewing attractive with just a single DVR and several basic boxes.

Three new features...

I had an issue with one of my DVRs, and was discussing some of the things I learned on this site (from LonghornXP) with the Tech, and the tech showed me the three new features on the VOD help screen. Widgets, Multiroom DVR and Multimedia. He said these should all be available around June 9th or so. I will note what he told me (treat like a rumor, he doen't know specifics):

Widgets: Scrolling window at bottom of screen to see local weather and traffic issues, based on your zip code. Looks like what is available online at MSN. No extra charge.

Multimedia: Download an application on your PC to advertise photo slideshows and/or MP3s to your TVs. Sounds like a great idea. No additional charge.

Multiroom DVR: Allow the viewing of recorded content from any settop box. Price for the serving box will be $19.99/month ($7 more than the current $12.99 for the HDDVR). I currently have 4 HDDVRs, but only one HD TV (needed the DVR feature on the other 3). This should allow me to "downgrade" the three non-HD tvs to the plain-jane settop box at $3.99/month. I will save $9 times three and pay $7 more for the one serving box on the HD TV. A net gain of $20 a month.

I also talked to him about the Cablecard, and he said if you use it, the price would be $2.99/month BUT you wouldn't see the Guide on those TVs. Seems like a significant negative.

FrozenTundra said:
Widgets: Scrolling window at bottom of screen to see local weather and traffic issues, based on your zip code. Looks like what is available online at MSN. No extra charge.

It's already available.

Multiroom DVR: Allow the viewing of recorded content from any settop box. Price for the serving box will be $19.99/month ($7 more than the current $12.99 for the HDDVR).

According to LonghornXP, this service will be free. LonghornXP has given us some good info so I would tend to believe him more then the tech guy.

Already Available?

As of lastnight, it wasn't available for me in Carrollton, TX. Also the tech said there will be a message sent (LED in top-Left corner of the display on the box will flash, signifying a software upgrade to the box to be available.

i checked out the widgets a few days ago. will not use that often. however, it is a nice feature that some might find useful.

Will the DVR, when used in multi-room mode, need any additional connections to the other set-top boxes? Also, will the user in another room be able to PROGRAM the DVR (from THAT LOCATION) to record a specific program? In addition, will the user in another room just use the same remote control to control the DVR as well?
thanks in advance for the info.

As Korsjs said no new wires will be needed for multiroom viewing nor is a new box needed either. I'm not sure how that phone tech got the new server box because all DVR boxes will work as both a server and a client.

Also you can schedule a recording on a basic digital box just like you do on the DVR but it will instead be recorded on the DVR. You can also schedule a recording from any internet connected computer soon and also any Verizon Wireless cell phone in the future can be linked to your account so you can view a simple text based program guide and schedule the recording from your cell phone itself.

Also if more than one box schedules the same recording if one box plays it back if you try to delete the recording it will inform the viewer that another box has also requested this program and ask are you sure you want to delete this recording as another family member might not have watched this show yet. It will default by not deleting it and you will have to select delete and also select yes to confirm and the highlighted option on that confirm screen will be No so that you must press a few extra different keys to delete a recording that another box has recorded.

I do know its being done very well. Also all digital boxes and the basic HD box will have a special channel you can view and access from the main menu that will show all available recordings so you can use the same remote that comes with these boxes to both schedule and playback a recording. You will also get a menu that would popup if you stop playback of a recording that would allow you to select another box to finish watching the show. You can name these boxes how you want such as Mikes Bedroom or Family Room for example and say if you select to finish watching your show in Mikes Bedroom that once you walk into that room and turn the TV on you will see a screen saying select play to finish watching "Insert name of show". Once you highlight play and press select on your remote it starts playback in the exact spot to left off at.

Its very cool stuff indeed and you will enjoy it. Also the six tuner HD DVR server thing was a misunderstand from the start but Verizon is looking at offering a sever based box still with only two tuners but with a 250 or 300 GB hard drive and this is the box that will cost 19.99/month but its not because of the multiroom viewing its because its got a much bigger hard drive and will be used mainly as a server. Now again all existing DVR boxes will have multiroom viewing and will stay the same price. I'm hearing this new server will have a 300 GB hard drive but if and only if the prices of 500GB drives fall soon they might include a 500GB drive at the same cost of 19.99/month and that would be great wouldn't it.

So say if you have three rooms with one room being HDTV you can get one free digital box with expanded basic. So you would pay 20+4 which gets you a dual tuner HDTV DVR with at least 300GB of space with two basic digital boxes that can playback anything stored on the DVR. That isn't a bad deal but because I have three HDTV sets I would select 3 of the basic HD DVR boxes as they can all record and playback everything. This would give me six live TV tuners with about 500 or a little under 500GB of storage combined. So for about 15 bucks more per month I feel I'd get a whole lot more.

I was paying about 51 bucks a month for three Hd DVR boxes with BHN and I sure didn't get multiroom viewing to make the service better. So I would save 10+ bucks a month on boxes with Verizon compared to BHN but at least I would get a whole lot more bang for that buck don't you think.

Is there a limit to how many boxes in one house can have access to the DVR? I have 4 boxes + a DVR. Will I be able to operate the DVR as a 'stand alone' tuner, without the other boxes interfering with it? Is the first tuner included with the service?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts