Anyone know the time line for mpeg4 "taking over" for mpeg2?

Jeremy77

Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
California
My question is: dose anyone now the “timeline” of mpeg 4 taking over for mpeg 2 ?
That is: if/when mpeg 4 takes over for mpeg 2 and all of are mpeg 2 boxes become paper weights.

I have been out of the loop so to speak (I wanted to enjoy my equipment for a wile with out worrying about what E* was doing.) I did bite on the 921 (mistake as I am now on my second unit as the first bit the dust and the 921 was a “upgrade” from my 722 dishplayer:( :rolleyes: :cool: ) Anyway I have read the “upgrade promo” E* is doing and I just shake my head.

What the heck happened to E*?
I have been a customer since 98 (when they actually had customer service) they seem to have forgotten what that term is and what it means.

Thanks for the info Scott,
Does the 07 HD date also include SD or will that contune to be mpeg 2 for a wile longer?

I would hope that if the switch is made to transment HD and SD in mpeg 4 that they do something for "us" as if they don't there are going to be a lot of very unhappy people, when they find out there mpeg 2 boxes will become paper weights.

Thanks again
Jeremy

Scott Greczkowski said:
I was told at CES that they were looking to convert all the MPEG2 HD to MPEG4 by March of 2007.
When the time comes for the final conversion, it will be on my terms which is not an 18 month commitment and lease only, to replace the 921 which I paid $950 for last year. I'm definately not going to get into this feeding frenzy of getting an MPEG4 box. OTA is currently not available for me so I have cable for the basic HD for $20 a month with no commitment. Dish could not provide local in HD for me.

The only bargains I ever got from Dish was a 6000U and an 811 for $150 each. Now if they came up with an offer like that for the Vip211, I would buy it, not lease it.
No way am I going to get suckered into a DVR that doesn't work and doesn't even try to have all the features it was supposed to and advertised to have.

I'll continue to read and contribute to this forum as it is fun and informative.

Thank you Scott,
:up

I'll stick with the 811 and basic HD and Voom service until the 811 becomes a doorstop. If, on the other hand, Dish would like to rent me a 622 for $6 a month with no up-front cost and no commitment like my cable company does with their HD DVR, I might reconsider.

The date mentioned about is ONLY for the HD Channels not the SD channels. And I should note that march 2007 is over a year away so lots of things can change.

For example I have heard some talk of moving the Top 180 channels to 8PSK format which would free up some room for more channels. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I was told at CES that they were looking to convert all the MPEG2 HD to MPEG4 by March of 2007.

I curious, what will happen then if I have not upgraded? The new HD Channels don't impress me, at least not enough to consider upgrading and giving up my HD only package, which I would need to do unless I buy my receiver outright. Will they really turn off service to anyone that won't pay them to upgrade?

:confused:

ravensong said:
I curious, what will happen then if I have not upgraded? The new HD Channels don't impress me, at least not enough to consider upgrading and giving up my HD only package, which I would need to do unless I buy my receiver outright. Will they really turn off service to anyone that won't pay them to upgrade?

If you're out of a contracted commitment I could see them doing that. However there are a lot of newer subs that will still be in a contracted 18-month period from the old HD packages. They'd probably offer free equipment upgrade, but require the new packages as a way to avoid lawsuits.

ravensong said:

You would lose the HD chanels you have now when this happens, just like those who did not upgrade and get a 8PSK cartridge for their 6000 lost HD in the past.

Weezknight said:
If you're out of a contracted commitment I could see them doing that. However there are a lot of newer subs that will still be in a contracted 18-month period from the old HD packages. They'd probably offer free equipment upgrade, but require the new packages as a way to avoid lawsuits.

Yes, I currently have no contract, own my 811, and recieve only HD with no other packages. Damn. I guess I'll be hooking up the old Voom box again if they don't change thier tune.
:mad:

Thanks Scott and everyone else for the replies

I think I will stick with my 921, 6000, 3800, and 4700 for the time being..that is until E* hopefully comes out with a better deal.

Thanks again
Jeremy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)