Anyone with a 622 seeing random short skips?

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
Tonight while watching a recording of 'Heroes' in HD (OTA) on NBC , my wife and I noticed random 1-3 second skips (both audio and video). Often we missed complete sentences. However, we could go back and watch the same part again and catch what we missed. So it appears to be a playback problem and not a recording or signal reception issue. Both the audio and video are skipped for a few seconds. There is no picture break-up, distorted sound or black screen when this happens. Its just that we periodically are missing a few seconds of content.

While watching Heroes, this happened on average about 2 times every minute. We've noticed this many times in the past on other HD recorded shows.

I called Tech Support and the man said he had not heard of this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes--saw this on STARZ HD, but not a recorded show, although we had paused it once at the beginning -- the movie THE CAVE.

Tonight while watching a recording of 'Heroes' in HD (OTA) on NBC , my wife and I noticed random 1-3 second skips (both audio and video). Often we missed complete sentences. However, we could go back and watch the same part again and catch what we missed. So it appears to be a playback problem and not a recording or signal reception issue. Both the audio and video are skipped for a few seconds. There is no picture break-up, distorted sound or black screen when this happens. Its just that we periodically are missing a few seconds of content.

While watching Heroes, this happened on average about 2 times every minute. We've noticed this many times in the past on other HD recorded shows.

I called Tech Support and the man said he had not heard of this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes,

Engineering is aware of it. I sent them my receiver so they can analyze it and locate the problem. THis was only happening with OTA recordings for me and mostly on KCRA 3 (NBC).

Scott

Yes,

Engineering is aware of it. I sent them my receiver so they can analyze it and locate the problem. THis was only happening with OTA recordings for me and mostly on KCRA 3 (NBC).

Scott

And I thought it was just me... :)

I reverted to using the DISH version of channel 3 HD and it almost (but not totally) eliminated the skips.

Scott - u da man!

Doug in Auburn

And I thought it was just me... :)

I reverted to using the DISH version of channel 3 HD and it almost (but not totally) eliminated the skips.

Scott - u da man!

Doug in Auburn

Hey Doug,

Saw your post in the OTA forum over at you know where. I asked a question for other locals. If we can isolate this to just the 622 then it is a software problem. If D* and Tivo users are having the same issues, then it is something with KCRA and I can call Larry at the station.

S~

Yes,

Scott
I was watching the same station -- KCRA Channel 3. I also notice the same problem with the Tonight Show (also KCRA).

I watch mostly channel 3, so it might be happening on other channels and I wouldnt know. I'll check tonight with another network's HD primetime shows.

.... If D* and Tivo users are having the same issues, then it is something with KCRA and I can call Larry at the station.

S~

I can't see how this problem could be caused by KCRA if it plays back fine when you go back to watch the same part again. My guess is its the 622 software causing this.

When I talked to Dish Tech Support, they offered to send me a new 622 but I said I'd check here first. If its software then replacing the 622 would be futile.

Last edited:
HI Brettbolt,

I had a feeling you were from our neck of the woods. I have a call in to engineering. Like I said, I sent them my receiver for analysis. It could very well be something within the data stream from the station since it seems that we are the only ones that seem to be having this issue and only with one particular station.

Hang on to the receiver and I'll let let you all know what I find out from engineering as soon as they get back to me. In the meantime, if you have HD locals, I record the sat feed and only watch the OTA feed live.

Scott

HI Brettbolt,

I had a feeling you were from our neck of the woods. I have a call in to engineering. Like I said, I sent them my receiver for analysis. It could very well be something within the data stream from the station since it seems that we are the only ones that seem to be having this issue and only with one particular station.

Hang on to the receiver and I'll let let you all know what I find out from engineering as soon as they get back to me. In the meantime, if you have HD locals, I record the sat feed and only watch the OTA feed live.

Scott
Yes, I'm in Rocklin. You're lucky being in Elk Grove so close to theTV transmitter towers. I need a huge antenna high above my roof to get HD OTA.

That was nice of you to send in your 622 to help them solve this. Hopefully it won't turn into a blaming contest (Dish vs. KCRA).

I have a 1080i Sony, and the OTA HD looks sharper than Dish HD of KCRA. I think the OTA HD signal contains more data (which might be part of the problem -- too much for the 622 to handle perhaps?)

Brett

So it seems the 622 is having problems processing some isolated HD OTA streams. I wonder what, if anything, NBC is doing differently than the other networks?

942 had problems processing audio on House OTA last night, just like the short skips reported here on the 622. Add FOX to the problem.

Hi everyone, my first post. :hatsoff: I been a long time lurker. :)

I have a 721. The skips I have are less than a second, but don't get fixed with a replay. I can't remember if it was just on the Local channels or not. I'll check tonight.

I have noticed that if you pause and restart a playback the skipping usualy stops. I have noticed it on OTA recordings and Sat sources. The skipping is just a few frames as if the disk stream is not keeping up.

I have noticed that if you pause and restart a playback the skipping usualy stops. I have noticed it on OTA recordings and Sat sources. The skipping is just a few frames as if the disk stream is not keeping up.
The problem that I'm seeing is more than a few frames. At 30 frames per second I am missing 50 to 100 or so -- enough to miss a short sentence here and there (along with the corresponding video).

Hope they can fix this, because I sure like the clarity of HD OTA on NBC (Heroes, The Tonight Show and Saturday Night Live). The satellite HD doesnt seem as detailed.

Brett

I've had audio dropout for a couple of weeks for the same programs mentioned above but they were not OTA. They were the local HD channels provided here in Southern California off of 129. It's intermitent whether or not playback will give me the missed audio segments. Some times it does, more often it doesn't. It's become more frequent this past week.

We get the LA HD locals and have had this type of problem for going on two weeks now. We keep video but lose the audio for a couple of seconds. After the audio comes back then it is out of sequence with the video. We need to press replay one step and everything is back in sequence again. This problem is with all the Dish HD LA network stations. Hope they fix this soon because it is REALLY annoying.

Also, when the 622 was new the remote response was really fast - now it is just as sluggish as my old 921 was. Is this another Dish software upgrade?

We get the LA HD locals and have had this type of problem for going on two weeks now. We keep video but lose the audio for a couple of seconds. After the audio comes back then it is out of sequence with the video. We need to press replay one step and everything is back in sequence again. This problem is with all the Dish HD LA network stations. Hope they fix this soon because it is REALLY annoying.

Also, when the 622 was new the remote response was really fast - now it is just as sluggish as my old 921 was. Is this another Dish software upgrade?
I'm in the Sacramento area and I lose both audio and video together.

It seems that this is happening only on certain stations, so you see different symptoms depending on where you live.

My guess is that OTA HD works great in Colorado, or wherever E* does their software development. They need to come out to Northern California, rent a building and debug the OTA HD stream problems.

You guys still seeing the 2-5 second skips on KCRA? I sent my receiver back to engineering for analysis with some verified programs that skip and they can't find it. They called me back today and asked me to send them the one they just replaced with sme recordings. I'e been recording using the satellite feed since I can't timewarp anymore with CBSHD.

Scott

CES-EchoStar gives 1 year free to some AT&T customers

New price and packaage question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)