Anything wrong with this HD install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hi guys. Just a little more info on the install ( prewired-no, 59-no, refused new cable-no, tv hanging-no, all tvs on site-yes, tvs moved-no). She said the tech told her they could watch Hd in the living room now. Boy would that be nice to have HD signal on the in home distribution output. I wonder how many people pay for HD service and the tech never hooks it up for them? I know some people get a new tv and the picture looks so much better than their old sd tv that they don't know it could be even better. In my opinion the tech was lazy and/or ignorant and should have done the install better. They have his card and are going to call and give him a chance to redo. Just for the record i'm not as upset as you think. I think the kids are more upset about being lied to by the tech.

Frank7004 said:
The customer was there.

Again, Dad is the one that is upset.

There you have it, kids were taken advantage of and Sounds as if they are more upset than Dad. God forbid a lazy Tech did the install ?

Frank7004 said:
Look, at the end of the day, I will agree that the installer (most likely a contractor/retailer) probably did a crappy job. However, I will say that I (an in house tech) have done some installs where when I left I scratched my head a little bit, but it is WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTED even after several "suggestions" that I offered.

"tech left a business card"

Retailers/sub contractors have cards.

My question now is why did the kids accept the work?

" Lets not forget that your daughter or son in law signed the paperwork saying they were satisfied with the install at the end of the job.

This is the stupidist cop-out on crappy installation that I hear repeatedly. The Average Customer is NOT even close to being tech savvy. They hired a PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION for a reason. The expectation is that it be done CORRECTLY. You would not expect any other service to not to fix things that are done wrong.

I worked as a tech for a DISH RSP for 5 years and now own my own retail Satellite and TV store. Don't even get me started on installation quality.

The good news was I had given her my work cell number and she would call me (usually weekly) so I could walk her through getting a picture again, at least this saved me a 12 day TC. .

This is BS..you shouldn't have to give your phone number out to people to have them bother you while your out and about to avoid a TC. I've told people they need to call a relative or I go get a neighbor real quick and show them how to change stuff.. I don't have time for all that and don't deserve a TC from someone being old or stupid which ever comes first.

In my opinion the tech was lazy and/or ignorant and should have done the install better. They have his card and are going to call and give him a chance to redo. Just for the record i'm not as upset as you think. I think the kids are more upset about being lied to by the tech.

I really don't think this is the case..sounds like to me it was requested a certain way and now they are trying to get something changed for free. Sorry but that's how I see it as a Tech myself. Paperwork was signed off saying the install was done correctly and the customer agreed so if you want the tech back out then YOU pay for it cause otherwise your going to cost the tech money and time they don't deserve when it now falls back on the customer.

I think that this is an example of you get what you pay for. This was not an installation it was an upgrade. Dish pays poorly for an upgrades. So depending on how far the tech had to travel he most likely made close to MIN wage or the Points per Hour was very low . That said how many "professionals" work for Min wage. Part of the installers evaluation is based on Phone lines, I have seen many "up-grade" receiver placements based on availability of phone lines location not what is best for viewing for the customer.

Though I will occasionally do these jobs I will more often and than not find a reason not to do them unless I can do them right, for both the customer and myself. But the root-cause for the poor up-grade should fall to the Dish matrix they use to evaluate the tech and compensation scale used for the work.

dvrexpander said:
I really don't think this is the case..sounds like to me it was requested a certain way and now they are trying to get something changed for free. Sorry but that's how I see it as a Tech myself. Paperwork was signed off saying the install was done correctly and the customer agreed so if you want the tech back out then YOU pay for it cause otherwise your going to cost the tech money and time they don't deserve when it now falls back on the customer.

Like.

It looks to me like the Tech was ignorant or lied (my guess) about the TV in the living room getting HD. Then he hauled ass out of there before the cust noticed.

chainblu said:
It looks to me like the Tech was ignorant or lied (my guess) about the TV in the living room getting HD. Then he hauled ass out of there before the cust noticed.

When is the last time you guys did a upgrade for a customer? It is a simple swap out, swap out antenna, and replace receivers with new, 9 times out of 10, they are in the exact same location and i bet that this is what happened here. Boxes never got moved, tech was in and out in a hour, and he never explained to the customer how the HD was going to work. I say lazy tech! If one of my guys did this, he would get a a$$ chewing!! Do it again, he would be done!

rcpandr said:
My daughter and husband got two new HD tvs, so I told them to call Dish and get a free upgrade. Dish comes and installs a new dish outside, a vip612 in the boys room, a vip722 in their bedroom and hooks up the tv in living room. They call and get the HD pack for $10.00 a month. I stop by Sunday and they have the new HD tv in the living room on. I tell them that the picture looks really bad and start to check things out. First the boys room has the vip612 hooked up to a SD tv with coaxial cable. Next the bedroom HD tv is hooked up to the vip722 with a RWY RCA cable. Now on to the living room HD tv. Dish has that one hooked to the vip722 in-home distribution output.:confused: Told them to call Dish back and set up a Sat. appointment so I can be there.

Looks like you already have your solution. Why post this thread if you already answered your own question?

All that happens is a bunch of guys that weren't there for the install throw up responses of assumptions.

Either the installer was lazy, or your kids don't know what they want. Either way none of the responses to this post were helpful. Other than pointing out that the most knowledgeable person (customer) NEEDS to be onsite when the install is done.

I think what we have here is a combination of uneducated costumer and lazy tech. I was at my 84 year old dads house recently after he had a 722 installed. He had an old 36inch tube tv in his living room and a new 26 inch HD tv in the bedroom. The 722 was in the livingroom. I ask my dad why the box was not in the bedroom on the HD TV. He said he told them he did not want the box in the bedroom because he wanted HD on his big 36inch living room TV. I tried explaining to him that he was not getting HD on either of his tvs the way it was done. He insisted he was because he had the HD box and that the picture looked a lot better since it had been on HD. I gave up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)