Anyway to get hd content onto dvr without actually recording a program?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hansokl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Atlanta
Hey everyone!! I am trying to get an HD football game put onto my dish dvr.. I was going to download the game I want onto my pc and wanted to know if it's possible to get that onto my dvr via external hd. I would appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

Thanks!!!

Sorry, the only input is satellite. And OTA. ATSC modulators are pricey.

The encryption used by DISH is unique. The DVR cannot playback files from other sources and without getting into a discussion on hacking it is difficult to take a file froma DISH DVR and play it back on another device.

Isn't it possible to save some movies from my dvr onto an external hd for later viewing? I was basically trying to reverse this by downloading and hd version of a game... Trying to convert it to the same file type that the receiver saves files to when I record them onto my dvr.. or maybe I can purchase a game that was previously show on a dish network channel?

I fail to see why reverse-engineering the file system on a Dish DVR is "hacking" in the bad sense of the word. This was actually accomplished for the 501 and subsequent receivers for moving content in the other direction. Seems to me it wouldn't be that difficult to do the reverse. (And "No", I'm not volunteering.) If the football game has no DRM, it should be possible, as well as legal, to do this.

Dish could also eliminate the need by adding DLNA to more receivers than just the 922.

Good luck! Note that, while either of us might, given sufficient time and energy, be able to figure this out, it's not going to be easy or it would have been done already. If I were doing this, I would start from the source code to PVRExplorer and go from there.

Note that all the video programs moved to the EHD are encrypted. Only some of the programs (HBO HD?) on the internal drive are encrypted. Programs moved to the EHD and back to the internal drive remain encrypted.

Isn't it possible to save some movies from my dvr onto an external hd for later viewing? I was basically trying to reverse this by downloading and hd version of a game... Trying to convert it to the same file type that the receiver saves files to when I record them onto my dvr.. or maybe I can purchase a game that was previously show on a dish network channel?

Perhaps I stand partially corrected. Yes, the USB port is an input. But it's a captive one. You might spent a few carefree minutes with Mr. Google and something might turn up.

Fire up your favorite distribution of Linux and install dishpvrfs and see what you can see ;) on the internal drive. I haven't done this in awhile, so it's possible Dish has changed things for the worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)