Status
Not open for further replies.

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Looks like we'll have to be more careful about articles being posted here.

AP cuts newspaper rates, moves to protect web news
NEW YORK (Reuters) – The Associated Press unveiled rate cuts on Monday to help member newspapers reeling from declining advertising revenue and said it would sue websites that use its members' articles without permission.

I think overall we do a good job of policing this here.

When we do post articles we only post a portion then a link back to the origional article so that the reader can read the rest. This is 100% legal under United States "Fair use" laws.

And sometimes there are members who post full articles, and when we find them (or when people report them) they we take appropriate action and fix the article and notify the user.

I am someone who earns money based off my writings, in fact for MultiChannel I am paid per view of my articles. It upsets me when I see my columns reposted at other sites in full as that means I am losing money because the people are not reading the article at MultiChannel. Luckily they are cracking down on this.

I think AP is going to be cracking down on the "scraper" sites, the sites which are just full of ads and stolen material. It is these sites which is causing the greatest harm to us all.

I think that Google news was called out on this recently since most if not all of their stories are taken from elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)